Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who wins?
Murray overcomes the venerable Nadal to make his first Wimbledon final - 29 (60.4%)
Rafa beats Murray at this stage again to reach his fifth Wimbledon final - 9 (18.8%)
Julia gets so uptight and full of rage that she explodes - 10 (20.8%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 [79] 80 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal  (Read 13615 times)
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1170 on: July 03, 2011, 03:37 PM »

So how do you want to do it then? Break it down per shot?

I have no idea where you would even start. There are so many variables to consider. People tend to just use their own definition. I tend to think of feel and creativity on the court, while other people may value pure ball-striking. That's why so many people regard Safin as extremely talented.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1171 on: July 03, 2011, 04:07 PM »

Actually, 'disinterested' does mean 'not interested'. For large periods of the match, Murray did look completely indifferent. He tends to be so subdued on these big occasions, and I have no idea why.

I'm not agreeing with everything rob is saying, but let's not excuse Murray's disgusting mental weakness on Friday.
No the proper meaning of 'disinterested' is 'not having an interest in' as in 'not having a stake in'.  Sorry to reveal my pedantic side w00t
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1172 on: July 03, 2011, 04:21 PM »

No the proper meaning of 'disinterested' is 'not having an interest in' as in 'not having a stake in'.  Sorry to reveal my pedantic side w00t

Actually, you are wrong. It has two meanings. You cannot just state that one meaning is the true meaning, particularly when that is demonstrably false. See below.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/disinterested

–adjective
unbiased by personal interest or advantage; not influenced by selfish motives: a disinterested decision by the referee.
not interested;  indifferent.

Both are correct.

IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1173 on: July 03, 2011, 04:24 PM »

Sorry to reveal my pedantic side w00t

Be advised: James is King of all Pedants.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1174 on: July 03, 2011, 04:28 PM »

Be advised: James is King of all Pedants.

People need to get their facts right. Shrug
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1175 on: July 03, 2011, 04:44 PM »

So Djokovic crushes Nadal in the final. Puts Murray's utter failure in the semi into perspective, doesn't it?
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1176 on: July 03, 2011, 04:46 PM »

So Djokovic crushes Nadal in the final. Puts Murray's utter failure in the semi into perspective, doesn't it?

Let's be fair. Nadal was horrendous today. Djokovic played well, but let's not pretend that Nadal played even close to the same level he reached on Friday. Didn't you see all of those errors?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1177 on: July 03, 2011, 04:47 PM »

People need to get their facts right. Shrug
OK I stand corrected but I suspect that's because the meaning has changed with useage as sometimes happens - apologies from one pedant to another Whistle

Oh and I agree about how Rafa played today compared with Friday.  A different player.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1178 on: July 03, 2011, 05:19 PM »

But that isn't talent we're talking about then. The fact that it is hard to define doesn't mean that we should use an incorrect defintion. If we're basing it on achievements, Ferrer is more talented than Gasquet. See the problem?

Also, people rarely consider the importance of the choices made early in a player's career. Is it talent that made Nadal choose such an unconventional forehand technique? It's not as if Nadal has better hand-eye coordination than everyone on tour. He owes a lot of his success to, as it turns out, his choice to develop that forehand technique instead of something more conventional. The reverse probably applies to Murray, since he developed a forehand technique that is pretty restrictive. It is entirely suited to counter-punching, which means he struggles when he has to be aggressive.

So success has a lot to do with the choices made early on.
Nadal used a different forehand technique before Uncle Tony made him change it. Do you think it's too late for Andy to change his?
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1179 on: July 03, 2011, 05:20 PM »

Nadal used a different forehand technique before Uncle Tony made him change it. Do you think it's too late for Andy to change his?

Almost certainly, Rafa changed his before puberty. Murray is half way through his professional career.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1180 on: July 03, 2011, 05:22 PM »

Oh well......That's what I suspected! Thanks anyway!
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1181 on: July 03, 2011, 05:32 PM »

Let's put things in perspective - Nadal played very poorly today - if he had played like that on Friday we would have been watching Andy in the final today.  Nadal admitted himself that he played one of the best matches of his year on Centre Court in the semis.  You have to admire Djoko he went away and changed a load of things about his game including his mental fortitude - there is hope for Andy as I believe he is a more naturally talented player than Djoko but he needs to maximise that talent to take the final step.  BTW - Nadal looked gutted and very unimpressed about his performance today and relinquishing his crown - not very "humble" at the net at the end today was he.?  Let's hope that Andy can pick himself up and go to the DC tie and then his 4 week training block and emerge re-energised and playing the beautiful tennis that we know he can - confidence is a brilliant thing just look how it has changed Djoko!!!
IP Logged
Woos
Challenger Level

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1182 on: July 03, 2011, 07:15 PM »

I agree Murray Magic.  I found myself shouting at the TV "WHY DIDN'T YOU PLAY LIKE THAT ON FRIDAY??"  Frown
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1183 on: July 03, 2011, 08:00 PM »

He played like that because a) Nole is in his head and b) Nole didn't let him play the way he wanted.
[ Last edit by blueberryhill July 03, 2011, 08:04 PM ] IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Wimbledon SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #1184 on: July 03, 2011, 09:06 PM »

How can you possibly say that? We all saw what happened. He went to pieces after he missed that forehand.
I can say it because that is what he said and he was playing not you. Andy said he pressed too hard on his shots when he should have played patiently and kept the rallies going. He said it was ridiculous to say that he lost the game because of one point and it is ridiculous to say that. He lost it because he did not move as well as he can (an injury probably but god help him if he mentioned it)  and because he decided to play too aggressively in the second set instead of wearing Nadal down. It would be interesting to know how many of the long rallies were won by Andy in the match. He got his tactics wrong. Nothing wrong with his mind - other players lose to Nadal and don't get pschoanalysed like this. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 [79] 80 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »