Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British?

(Read 2269 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

this got me thinking about the British public and its lack of love and admiration for our champ.  If Andy was Spanish, Italian,  French or American from the start of his career.  Would you have still supported him?  Would you have still supported him if he changed nationality in his career  I would blame him tbh if he did that.  Also if he was one of these nationalities would have been more popular ..  confused  I don't know.  I think I would have still supported him.  though I wouldn't get all patriotic and that.  any thoughts?
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:11 PM »

Yes I would, because I don't support any of the other British Players really.
Its his game style I find so very intriguing or how could i watch every tournament he plays in?
And if it didn't, i wouldn't support him as well.
I supported Henman because he was british however but i never would follow him RTW as I do Andy, only wimbledon.
So yeah if he was American he would still be my favourite player,
But I would draw the line at supporting him if he was a German  Whistle
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 04:23 PM »

A bit of both.
For sure, I support Andy because he's a Brit, and of course a Scot to boot, but I also support him because I love his tennis.  There's lots of other players I like to watch and have supported who aren't Brits.
I also support Milos Raonic because he's Canadian... but I don't follow him as much as Andy because his game isn't the same quality.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 04:23 PM »

Awww.......There are German members on here that I think are great....and you probably do too! Sorry......This is in reply to Theycanbillme!
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 04:40 PM »

I would support Andy if he was a Hottentot.    But only if he played the same way and was the same person and that is not possible.   He is what he is and who he is  because of his upbringing and I wouldn't want him to be any different.    I love his stubbornness and his individuality and the way he shows his feelings on court - he
makes a lot of the other players look like robots!!!    I don't support him just because he is Scottish but I'm very glad and proud that he is.     Having said that I find on MW a lot of his best support and genuine affection comes from his English fans.     
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 05:28 PM »

I would support Andy whatever his nationality because 1. His wonderful tennis 2.His character - determined and hard working 3. His kindness, thoughtfulness,humility,respect towards others.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 05:30 PM »

I would still support Andy cos I love his tennis style, but I follow him ardently because he is Scottish, he gives us that "Braveheart" special feeling that us Scottish people love.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 06:47 PM »

I would like to think that I would.  I didn't support Henman and indeed haven't supported a British player since Mike Sangster in the 1960s [there that shows my age!  w00t] . The last player I really supported was Agassi. And in his era I supported Johnny Mac.  But I have to admit I didn't support any of them with the passion I support Andy.  Is this because he's British?  Perhaps if I'm honest partly but I think it's more the way he plays tennis and who he is, warts and all.   And perhaps the very fact that so many of my fellow Brits dislike him make me the more passionate in my support.  And also it's because of him [together with now having access to far more tournaments on TV once I went digital] that I now watch so much tennis generally.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 07:39 PM »

thanks for your thoughts guys Smile
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 08:00 PM »

Yes I would support him even if he was not a brilliant player. He is a Scot and I truly love him for that we are a small country and he gives us something to feel good about. Plus he is kind,intelligent,stubborn,and a great tennis player. He is not perfect but his good points outweigh the not so good. He gives our youngsters something to take pride in and shows them what they can achieve given the chance.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 08:03 PM »

Difficult one that John!  Like Ruthie I would like to think so, but I did support Henman because (a) he was British and (b) I liked his tennis.  Like Ruthie I also supported Mike Sangster (and it made my day the time I watched him live at Wimbledon).  The same went for Roger Taylor and American Stan Smith.  Later my support went to Johnny Mac - mainly because his tennis was superb (couldn't be bothered with his on-court rants, although they could be amusing at times) - and Agassi.

Andy of course has the added advantage to me of being Scottish, but I remember thinking, when he first really arrived in 2005, what a magnificent, gutsy young player he was, and that meant more than just nationality - so, yes, I think I would have supported him.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 09:16 PM »

I'm not patriotic. I never particularly took to Henman. I quite liked him till they did a documentary of him at the Masters finals and I saw what a prat he was.

To me, as a reluctant Englishman, Murray's more interesting for being Scottish.

I'd add that there are players I like and support as much as Murray, but they're lower down the rankings so not really a threat, e.g. Kohly, Haas. My German roots are showing.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy June 01, 2012, 09:22 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 10:53 PM »

No.

To be blunt.

He would be just another foreign player. There are foreign players that I like (Tsonga, Mahut, etc) but I never support them like I support Andy.

I couldn't say why. I'm not exactly patriotic. It's just like an emotional attachment. Same with F1, I support the Brits. I guess it's because they represent my Nation. I want to see British players doing well.

I couldn't just 'choose' to support someone else either. I just don't feel the same.. 'attachment' (for lack of a better word). Same with football - I've supported my club from a young age before I knew any better and even if I tried to support someone else or tell myself I didn't care about my club, I still would. Same with tennis and Murray, same with F1 and Hamilton.

I can't explain it. I've had this discussion before and I'm not in the mood to argue/discuss it but for whatever reason I only really feel any attachment towards the British sportsmen.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 10:59 PM »

I would like to think that I would.  I didn't support Henman and indeed haven't supported a British player since Mike Sangster in the 1960s [there that shows my age!  w00t] . The last player I really supported was Agassi. And in his era I supported Johnny Mac.  But I have to admit I didn't support any of them with the passion I support Andy.  Is this because he's British?  Perhaps if I'm honest partly but I think it's more the way he plays tennis and who he is, warts and all.   And perhaps the very fact that so many of my fellow Brits dislike him make me the more passionate in my support.  And also it's because of him [together with now having access to far more tournaments on TV once I went digital] that I now watch so much tennis generally.

Actually, this is a very good point. Maybe this is why I support him them. I was never really that into tennis 'til he came along. Same with F1 and Hamilton. I was younger, tbf, and football was my life. As I've grown up and gone into other sports, these sportsmen have come along and started shining and I started watching them, and ended up falling in love with the sports because of them. Which is why I always favour Hamilton over Button (but I obviously want Button to do well as well).

So mainly this, for why I have the attachment to particular sportsmen. Then once I get into the sport I just like to see other British sportsmen doing well. But if/when they come up against my favourite sportsmen, I always prefer the original. Best example of this is the F1 in 2009 - even though Button was winning and Hamilton wasn't, I still found myself supporting Hamilton.

Hard to explain, but that's it really. Ultimately I like to see the British guys winning. Maybe there is a sense of patriotism in there then I guess.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 11:08 PM »

Difficult one, but yes i probably would have, for his guts and sincerity.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »