Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British?

(Read 1981 times)
ljs
Futures Level

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 12:37 AM »

Well , since Im not British , and have no ties to the UK at all , he could have come from anywhere , wouldnt have mattered to me. I just took to him when I saw him play juniors , and have followed him ever since.

But I really really wish he was a Canadian  Whistle
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 01:03 AM »

But you've got Raonic, haven't you ...? Very Happy
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 01:28 AM »

Id have enough patriotic love for them both  yay
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 06:07 AM »

Yes, I would. It's his tennis I like and I would support him if he were from Uzbekistan or wherever. I have a lifetime of watching tennis and I haven't been a supporter of any other Brit.
It's the magicians on court I love, Mac, Fed, Santoro etc. Andy, on fire, is like them.
To be sure the fact he's Scottish adds an extra dimension.
IP Logged
notnek
Futures Level

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 06:14 AM »

I don't support him beause he's British but I doubt that I would have ever become such a big fan if he was from another country.

I started off following his career as a young junior and thought of him as an exciting British prosect but it wasn't long before his nationality became irrelevant. Actually, the fact that he is British can be quite annoying now, especially during Wimbledon.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 06:49 AM »

notnek....agree and I wish Andy swore in Gaelic, so A. Castle would stop apologising every darn minute.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 07:22 AM »

I love his style of play and the fact that he's British is a bonus.

I was a big fan of Mac but couldn't stand Sampras - again down to their styles of play.

I think that the point that someone made about tennis coverage being readily available (sometimes on dodgy livestreams) also helps.  We were once so limited as to what tournament we could watch (Wimbledon) and now we've access to a whole new world (and more players).
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 07:36 AM »

Easy question not being British....although... I like his humor (and I think it's british humor..) so may be that helps! And als his sobriety and being polite; a British (or Scottich?) property too?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 08:13 AM »

I would have to say 'no'! The reason being, had Andy not have been British, I'd never even have seen him! I never took much interest in tennis, until one day, my 'English' husband told me that there was a great new 'Scottish' tennis player just come on the scene and he had a wild card at Wimbledon and was playing that day! We both watched and I fell in love with the gutsy young man with the wild hair and the delightful grin right away and have been a massive fan ever since. As a consequence, I also fell in love with tennis. The same thing happened when my husband told me there was a great new 'British' driver on the Formula One racing scene and I fell in love with the brave young Lewis Hamilton and have supported him ever since, followed by Button and Paul De Resta [because he's a Scot]! If Andy had not been Scottish, I'd have loved him just the same, but I'm so pleased and proud that he is!
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 09:27 AM »

Similar to Caz really.  Throughout my life, I had a vague interest in tennis, but footie had always been my sport of choice.  Then I started hearing on the news about this young Brit who was working his way up the rankings.  I was channel surfing one day and caught one of his matches.  If he had been a boring player, I might've surfed on, but I found him exciting to watch and started looking out for him in the schedules.  By watching Andy, I got to see other players and realised I enjoyed watching them too.  This year, though, I've reverted back to mainly just watching Andy's matches.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 09:53 AM »

I would definitely support him no matter what nationality he was, when I first saw a wee boy (that's what he looked like to me) playing at wimbledon for the first time he melted my heart, he was so gutsy, played great tennis, lovely shots. I knew he was a star in the making, and started following him from there. Then I also grew to love his stubbornness, and his kind personality,and his shyness. Im lucky that such a gifted, talented young player representing Britain is Scottish which is the icing on the cake for me. There is just no way that you can't take him to your heart, that is if you have one. I never took to Henman, he showed no personality to me,he looked cold like a cardboard cutout, and he also looked a weak player compared to other players. My favourite at the time was Agassi right up until he retired.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 10:45 AM »

Smile some really interesting comments
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 11:00 AM »

Smile some really interesting comments
Thanks for starting a good thread jk.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 01:11 PM »

Thread title is hurting my eyes.

No, would be my response. But I would obviously admire his game and inner fire.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 04:56 PM »

Yes I am Scottish and that is a big influence on why I support Andy. At the same time he has many qualities that I admire. He is stubborn and never gives up,he has great skill and fights for every point.I will also support the underdog no matter what nationality like Mahut against Federer. Basically Andy is shy and does not express himself very well and because of this is not liked by most English fans though not all. He tries hard but will never be a Mr Smug and I would not want him to be. He is accused of being dour maybe his detractors would like fishing line connected to his lips to make him smile he smiles when he wants to not on demand.Also he does not fit into the image of the ladies and gents of Wimbledon that in a nutshell is Andy.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »