Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Reply
Author

would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British?

(Read 1940 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 06:05 PM »

Yes I am Scottish and that is a big influence on why I support Andy. At the same time he has many qualities that I admire. He is stubborn and never gives up,he has great skill and fights for every point.I will also support the underdog no matter what nationality like Mahut against Federer. Basically Andy is shy and does not express himself very well and because of this is not liked by most English fans though not all. He tries hard but will never be a Mr Smug and I would not want him to be. He is accused of being dour maybe his detractors would like fishing line connected to his lips to make him smile he smiles when he wants to not on demand.Also he does not fit into the image of the ladies and gents of Wimbledon that in a nutshell is Andy.
It's mostly the football fanbase that talk down about tennis and only watch it two weeks a year who really dislike Murray, for no real reason when you ask them why. "He's a jock twat" seems to the most popular response, from my experience. It's all a bit silly really, but no point worrying what some narrow-minded jubbly pub-lovers think really.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 09:59 PM »

Thanks Chrismac, the thing you wrote about your memories of the first match you saw, recognize this!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 10:43 PM »

I remember that match also - the wee guy was dead on his feet, but he kept battling on. That part of him is still winning fans, i guess
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 10:45 PM »

I support Andy for one reason only. He's Scottish. That's it. I'd watch next to no tennis if it wasn't for Andy.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 06:19 AM »

I support Andy for one reason only. He's Scottish. That's it. I'd watch next to no tennis if it wasn't for Andy.

That explains a lot.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 08:28 PM »

A lot of you wouldn't have supported Andy if he weren't British/Scottish. I don't think so.
IP Logged
ausia
Futures Level

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 10:50 PM »

I support him and i'm italian....if he had come from north pole, i would have been his fan, at least!!
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 01:38 AM »

My allegiances lie with Rafa and I'm British so yes, I would support Andy regardless. Nationality is irrelevant outside the Davis Cup, in which case I would obviously support Great Britain over Spain. However, it does make it extra special sometimes, particularly when Andy plays on home soil. Got that fluttery feeling in my tummy about going to Queens and Wimbly in a few weeks. Very Happy
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 01:57 AM »

Growing up as a kid in Glasgow I would watch the tennis with my mum and as a 9 year old my favorite player was Hewitt for his passing shots as he really got me into tennis. Fast forward and I could not believe my luck that there was a Scottish tennis player with a brash on court demeanor and never say die attitude like Hewitt when I saw Andy playing his first match at Queens.

I love Andy's game for his ability now not his place of birth.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 06:50 AM »

A lot of you wouldn't have supported Andy if he weren't British/Scottish. I don't think so.
What?  confused Very few I thought!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 07:05 AM »

Double negative too, so not sure what it means.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 03:46 PM »

If the same Andy was from another country, let’s say US or Canada, then I don’t believe a lot of Murray fans now would be his fan. 

But this is very hypothetical and can’t be proven but I stand by my comment anyway.

It is what it is right now so let's leave it at that. 
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 04:05 PM »

It’s pretty much like saying you wouldn’t have loved your son as much if he were a son of someone else. I can’t prove it but it’s true. When you support someone for the reason that he’s from the same country as you are, then this logic will apply to you as well. There’s no need to further prove it.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 04:27 PM »

I would have supported Andy if he was from Timbuktu - the fact that he is from Scotland is just icing on the cake.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: would you of still supported Andy if he wasn't British? « Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 08:39 PM »

Most people who love tennis and have followed it for years, love gr8 players whatever their nationality. Surely MW shows this.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »