Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predicys
AM in 2 - 31 (79.5%)
AM in 3 - 7 (17.9%)
JWT in 2 - 0 (0%)
JWT in 3 - 1 (2.6%)
Total Voters: 39

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 39 Go Down Reply
Author

WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga

(Read 11634 times)
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #60 on: November 08, 2012, 01:37 AM »

He can lose once he wins a set. And by losing the Berdych it reduces the chance of Andy progressing which is always good. Like I said previously I think Ferrer beating Federer would tip the balance in favour of it being beneficial to throw it because it would make Novak then less likely to meet Federer as well. From a game-theory perspective I would consider it the best option in that position.

Berdych would only qualify if Andy fails to beat Tsonga (unless he wins in two, which then would leave Djokovic up in the air). And since that would mean Berdych won two matches, it's totally legitimate that Andy doesn't advance if he loses. So no, Djokovic can't really put Andy at a disadvantage. If Andy loses to Tsonga he should just go home!

EJ, no they mean the tournament. Doesn't really matter for us though, because Andy and Berdych are tied overall now (4-4) and in that case Andy's ranking would give him the advantage.
[ Last edit by silver lining November 08, 2012, 01:42 AM ] IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #61 on: November 08, 2012, 01:43 AM »

Berdych would only qualify if Andy fails to beat Tsonga (unless he wins in two, which then would leave Djokovic up in the air). And since that would mean Berdych won two matches, it's totally legitimate that Andy doesn't advance if he loses. So no, Djokovic can't really put Andy at a disadvantage. If Andy loses to Tsonga he should just go home!
It would put Andy at a disadvantage because if Novak beats Berdych then Andy can afford to to lose in 3 sets; hence he has more chance of qualify - deserving to or not - it's an advantage to Andy which Nole could take away if he chooses.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #62 on: November 08, 2012, 01:45 AM »

Just noticed on the official atp world tour site...that voting on who will win the WTF event, out of 42733, resulted in
54% Fed
23% Djoko
....and mere 10% Murray
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #63 on: November 08, 2012, 01:47 AM »

Just noticed on the official atp world tour site...that voting on who will win the WTF event, out of 42733, resulted in
54% Fed
23% Djoko
....and mere 10% Murray

As much as I support Andy, I myself admit that Djoker and Federer are the clear favourites to win.
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #64 on: November 08, 2012, 01:49 AM »

54% Fed
23% Djoko
....and mere 10% Murray

Sky's is much better.

31.7% Murray
30.6% Djokovic
28.9% Federer

http://www.skysports.com/poll/results/0,19911,12782_311153_311153,00.html
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #65 on: November 08, 2012, 01:50 AM »

As much as I support Andy, I myself admit that Djoker and Federer are the clear favourites to win.

Yeah I agree.....was still surprised by the margins tho...Id say its closer call than that
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #66 on: November 08, 2012, 01:54 AM »

It would put Andy at a disadvantage because if Novak beats Berdych then Andy can afford to to lose in 3 sets; hence he has more chance of qualify - deserving to or not - it's an advantage to Andy which Nole could take away if he chooses.

I still think it doesn't matter. I WANT Andy to go home if he can't beat Tsonga. There is no need to get humiliated in the semis... You don't even get extra points for reaching the semis, or money for that matter. So for the love of Andy's H2H it would be better.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #67 on: November 08, 2012, 02:06 AM »

H2H comes before the sets count. The H2H comment isn't as clear. I do think they mean overall.
I'm almost 100% sure the H2H is just in this tournament. They often use it to separate players/teams in most sports that use round-robin formats.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #68 on: November 08, 2012, 02:10 AM »

retard  All these permutations.  fainting

Andy just needs to win every match from now on, the whole darn thing, then we will all be happy lol
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #69 on: November 08, 2012, 02:12 AM »

I still think it doesn't matter. I WANT Andy to go home if he can't beat Tsonga. There is no need to get humiliated in the semis... You don't even get extra points for reaching the semis, or money for that matter. So for the love of Andy's H2H it would be better.
I'm not talking about what you or I want I'm talking about what Nole would consider best and that would be if Andy went out of the tournament and he avoided Federer in the semis.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #70 on: November 08, 2012, 02:12 AM »

I'm not talking about what you or I want I'm talking about what Nole would consider best and that would be if Andy went out of the tournament.

I seriously doubt that. Wink
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #71 on: November 08, 2012, 02:13 AM »

I'm almost 100% sure the H2H is just in this tournament. They often use it to separate players/teams in most sports that use round-robin formats.

Sorry, yes it is. I had it actually all worked out this afternoon then I forgot. Anyway, so if it coms to that, then Andy is definitely in
advantage here since he's leading Berdych 1-0.

So it actually makes sense why they would put H2H before the set counts.

Anyway, I had to prepare my monthly scorecard this afternoon and also had to take a course followed by a short test on Money Lanudering so my brain is pretty beat for today. Good night folks.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #72 on: November 08, 2012, 02:15 AM »

I seriously doubt that. Wink
I seriously don't doubt that ...
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #73 on: November 08, 2012, 02:18 AM »

One last thing, yes I do think Nole would do what's best for him and he wouldn't care what type of friendship he has with Andy. That's something outside of this sport. In an individual sport like tennis, it gets very, very competitive at the top level and perhaps, Andy won't be any exception in the future either.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #74 on: November 08, 2012, 02:20 AM »

I seriously don't doubt that ...

They are friends. Do you really think he would cheat to get Andy out of the tournament? I mean, I don't even like him and I still don't think he would do that.

Seriously though, if Andy has ANY chance to win this tournament, he will beat Tsonga. Regardless of what Djokovic does. Besides, no sane person would want to play Federer instead of Ferrer (indoors) if not absolutely necessary.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 39 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »