Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predicys
AM in 2 - 31 (79.5%)
AM in 3 - 7 (17.9%)
JWT in 2 - 0 (0%)
JWT in 3 - 1 (2.6%)
Total Voters: 39

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 39 Go Down Reply
Author

WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga

(Read 9650 times)
laundry
Top Seed

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #75 on: November 08, 2012, 02:49 AM »

They are friends. Do you really think he would cheat to get Andy out of the tournament? I mean, I don't even like him and I still don't think he would do that.

Seriously though, if Andy has ANY chance to win this tournament, he will beat Tsonga. Regardless of what Djokovic does. Besides, no sane person would want to play Federer instead of Ferrer (indoors) if not absolutely necessary.
I've been talking about the scenario where Ferrer beats Federer tommorow so you actually want to finish 2nd in the group if possible to have the best chance of avoiding Federer.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #76 on: November 08, 2012, 03:23 AM »

I've been talking generally. Don't think Ferrer beating Federer is very likely. He has only taken 3 sets in 13 meetings so far... There is clearly a match-up issue. But sure, in that scenario it might be wise. If Federer loses tomorrow though he seriously shouldn't be considered a threat to make the final and Ferrer should be considered lethal. Actually in no way would it make sense to me to not want to finish 1st. Especially since Ferrer is already 2-0 vs Djokovic at this event and has a decent record against him. To beat Fed he would have to be in the form of his life.

For us it would be best if Djokovic won in 3. That way Tsonga would be playing a dead rubber and Andy would only need to win 1 set in order to qualify.
[ Last edit by silver lining November 08, 2012, 03:26 AM ] IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #77 on: November 08, 2012, 03:39 AM »

Yes obviously Djok in 3 is best. Tsonga might even let Andy win then if he secretly hates Berdych :P
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #78 on: November 08, 2012, 04:05 AM »

LOL. I think he would too. I mean it's not like he's in desperate need for money. lol
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #79 on: November 08, 2012, 06:28 AM »

I think your all being quite disrespectful to Tsonga. He played a great match vs Fed last year at the O2.  He can cause an upset.  He hasn't been on form
 for quite a while. But he can still play well. And will probably want to prove to himself and to the crowd that he can  produce some excellent tennis.  Andy should win but its Andy Murray. Anything could happen.    Just annoys me in the last couple of matches that Andy has played in he has played so well had a number of MP and opportunities to win the match.    Then he just collapses for no reason at all.  I just don't get it.   He doesn't want to make a habit of it.  That's for sure
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #80 on: November 08, 2012, 06:49 AM »

Going to London today then will be at O2 Friday evening and for both semis.
So hoping Andy will be there too, if my nerves can stand that. nervous
So wave everyone.
Come on Andy, u need to beat Joe in 2 pray
Let's Go Andy. Let's Go yay yay yay

(PS If I see him and he's wearing those awful yellow shorts...might have to say something....Wink)
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #81 on: November 08, 2012, 07:57 AM »

As much as I support Andy, I myself admit that Djoker and Federer are the clear favourites to win
Also, Fed fans are not realistic.  They'll still be voting for him as the favourite to win tournaments once he's retired!:D

I'm happy Andy's match is on in the evening, so there will be no doubt during his match just what he has to do.  I can't see Nole throwing so much as a set, even if there is a potential future advantage, but anyone can get distracted, especially at this time of the year, so nothing can be taken for granted.

Andy is the strong favourite against Tsonga, but as above.  Tsonga may come out fighting, taking all kinds of risks, knowing it's probably his last match of the year.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #82 on: November 08, 2012, 08:16 AM »

Tsonga looks bereft of confidence at the moment, and he will need to serve extremely well to win.

His backhand is bizarre. He'll rally with his two hander, then inexplicably switch to a one hander for a passing shot. It's a weak stroke which Murray should try his utmost to exploit.

Murray in 2.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #83 on: November 08, 2012, 08:54 AM »

I think JW's serve % in that last set vs Berdych was 36%, which would explain the scoreline somewhat.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #84 on: November 08, 2012, 09:06 AM »

Going to London today then will be at O2 Friday evening and for both semis.
So hoping Andy will be there too, if my nerves can stand that. nervous
So wave everyone.
Come on Andy, u need to beat Joe in 2 pray
Let's Go Andy. Let's Go yay yay yay

(PS If I see him and he's wearing those awful yellow shorts...might have to say something....Wink)

Have a fantastic time BBH! clapping
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #85 on: November 08, 2012, 09:25 AM »

I think your all being quite disrespectful to Tsonga. He played a great match vs Fed last year at the O2.  He can cause an upset.  He hasn't been on form
 for quite a while. But he can still play well. And will probably want to prove to himself and to the crowd that he can  produce some excellent tennis.  Andy should win but its Andy Murray. Anything could happen.    Just annoys me in the last couple of matches that Andy has played in he has played so well had a number of MP and opportunities to win the match.    Then he just collapses for no reason at all.  I just don't get it.   He doesn't want to make a habit of it.  That's for sure

With respect John I think you need some perspective. Andy had match points against Raonic in Japan. None of them were on his serve.

Bearing in mind that Andy was clearly not 100% in Shanghai (or Japan for that matter) he did well to get to the final. He flattened Federer before narrowly losing to Djokovic. At Andy's match points Djokovic pulled off some miraculous shots that anyone else would have bungled in that situation.

Andy openly admitted he rushed against JJ. He took his eye off the ball. It happens. He'll learn. Personally I think the WTF is more important than Paris.

In all of the situations a bit of luck would have got Andy through. Maybe he has had a bit of a slam winner hangover. It can happen. If I recall, Federer had a lull after he won his first. However, since the USO Andy has narrowly lost a semi of a 500, and narrowly lost a Masters final. Most players would give their right arm for a lull like that, especially off the back of their best ever year.

As for Tsonga, it's not about being disrespectful. An on form Tsonga can be dangerous. Andy will know that. However, I don't think it is any coincidence that Tsonga openly admits he doesn't like playing Andy. The 6-1 head to head might have something to do with it. Sure, this one will be indoors, but I can't see that having much impact. As far as I can see Andy is just the better player.

I think a player probably gets the idea there might be a problem when their coach watches and shakes his head, complete with a look of 'what the bloody hell is he doing' all over his face. Roger Rasheed was like that last night. They've not been together long, but I wonder how long that arrangement will last. At one point Rasheed looked like he wanted to throttle him.

Whatever happens, and I think we need to see Andy still has a great chance, I think we need to look at the bigger picture. This week so far Andy has beaten a player he has struggled with at times, and did so convincingly in the end. He has also narrowly lost to the world no.1. He's still in a position to go through. He's all right.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #86 on: November 08, 2012, 09:28 AM »

Yes obviously Djok in 3 is best. Tsonga might even let Andy win then if he secretly hates Berdych :P

Personally I think Andy will let Tsonga lose. I'd be surprised if Tsonga was in any position to 'let' Andy win.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #87 on: November 08, 2012, 09:43 AM »

I totally agree Teejay.  We must stop this.  Andy has done brilliantly well this season.  I do not see any other countries or fan clubs making these sort of comments about their player.  He mujst be mentally exhausted after all the years of negativity and pressure he had to manage so there is bound to have a slight 'ease of the pedal'.  I am surprised at you Jon as ever since I have come on here I have found you to be positive.  Andy has done so well as has been said by Teejay.  I am quite happy with his performance this year especially as all we wanted from him was a GS which he has given us plus.  He will come back next year with a bang.  He and Lendl will work out a way to combat Nole new tactic of comming to the net which is not usually one of his great moves. JHe has so much in his arsenal that there will be a way.  Andy has done this to Federer who tried this tactic and Andy has learnt how to combat this.  This is what the great players do.

I feel sorry for Tsonga who has not had a coach for so long and as we have said before a new coach and new ideas take time to work.  Poor Tsonga if he has a coach who can behave like that in gge stands.  I would much rather see Lendl who is impassive.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #88 on: November 08, 2012, 10:14 AM »

Tamila,you make a very good point about other countries being very supportive of their players.Honestly,I don't know of ANY other player who gets judged as harshly as Andy does-I really don't.

I don't mean we all have to go around saying he's brilliant if he's playing terribly-of course not.Andy would hate that-he's always the first person to say so if he didn't play well.But the guy deserves a lot more support,and credit,than he does get.I remember years ago reading about a comment Johnny Mac made about Tim Henman-I can't remember what he was saying exactly,but it was to the effect of "Ok,so he's not winning you the ultimate prizes that you want.But he's a good guy,who lives life well,he's a very good tennis player,who goes out there and plays his heart out.I don't get why he doesn't have everyone's admiration,why he doesn't get the credit he deserves.In another country he'd be a huge hero."And that was Tim Henman.I know he had his fair share of "why aren't you winning/when are you gonna win the big ones etc",but he was never given the maulings that Andy has received,and he had a lot more support than Andy has at times received.Even now,when Andy has won so many over,there are still the diehard anyone-but-Murray haters out there.Why can't we try to be a bit more positive?

I know its been said ad nauseum,but it really is proven that after winning their first Grand Slam,people often experience a dip in performance.As you so rightly point out,Teejay,I'm pretty sure that for most people,if they thought a 'dip' was getting to the semi of a 500, and narrowly losing a Masters final (beating Smugfed soundly along the way),all the while struggling with a virus,they'd take that dip!Also,Andy himself may just need a bit more time to deal with having finally achieved something he's been dreaming about and working towards for 10 years.He's been trying so hard for so long to win,dealing with the pressure to break the FP record,dealing with everyone's expectations-to have finally won it must still feel surreal.Andy himself has admitted he has moments where he wonders did it really happen.He's said he hopes that will go away once he gets the trophy-so I hope they darn well hurry up and give him what he earned!

What we also have to remember is that coming up is the off-season training block,which will be,as Lendl has himself pointed out,the first extended period of training time they'll have had together since they've started working together.Lendl himself has said he's excited for it!Hopefully,they can take any concerns that they might have,any little problem areas,and work them out together,so Andy comes back ready for another stellar year next year!
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #89 on: November 08, 2012, 10:51 AM »

Sorry, once again I don't know why/if people are making such a fuss. If as seems likely next year is going to be the Murray/ND era, we need to accept that Mr M is going to play many tightly contested matches with ND the odds are he is going to lose some of them. Equally he is going to win some of them. The two matches against ND this year that we all would have chosen him to win, surely were the Olympic Semi to get himself into the final to go for the gold, and the US Open final. My addled memory seems to recall he won both of them, laying the foundations for his amazing brutalisation of Fed to take the Gold in stunning style, and then hanging in to snaffle his first GS. Give him a break. I really would hate to be some of the people on here's kids, judging by many of the cruel comments. It must be hell in earth if the only important thing is winning constantly. If he doesn't get to the next round, he has managed to levelled up the H2H against Berdych, something that is worth achieving in its own right. Do you seriously think ND is going to risk points, and giving Berdych any illusions that his stranglehold on him is possible to ease, when ND is likely to have to play him in GS quarters or semis next year.
As for Tsonga, given he reached the final last year, yet hasn't won a match in the tournament this year, and has such a dreadful H2H against top 10 players, he is not exactly going to go into the match brimming with confidence is he? Having his coach watching is going to put him under more stress.
I am with the person(s), who said if Murray can't take at least a set off Tsonga it is probably better he doesn't progress any further. Murray losing is sad, but most of my personal stress comes from knowing how awful some of the comments on here can be when he losing, or has lost. Many of them are cruel and unkind, and plain bl**dy nasty. Andy Murray really doesn't deserve it. Lets so remember there are about 2000 players in the ATP rankings list. 8 of them qualified for this end of year tournament. Get real people - just qualifying for it is impressive in its own right.  As I have said before grow up people. Rant over for today at least...!!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 39 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »