Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predicys
AM in 2 - 31 (79.5%)
AM in 3 - 7 (17.9%)
JWT in 2 - 0 (0%)
JWT in 3 - 1 (2.6%)
Total Voters: 39

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 39 Go Down Reply
Author

WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga

(Read 10203 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #105 on: November 08, 2012, 01:08 PM »

Dani,  Thanks for that information. I see now where the information is posted.

Wimbledon that day was so much fun. Drowned by rain first thing. Saw Del Potro win sitting with a group of very vocal Agentinians behind was a good experience. We then slipped onto the Hill as it was being shut off by police as the numbers were very large. Stunning manoeuvre to beat the restrictions! A lot of those who saw the 3rd place match went out to see Andy win. No 1 court was very empty for the ladies match. We saw nearly two sets on the big screen from very high up! There was such a mood of happiness and of certainty that Andy would win. It was not like the doubting this week over whether he might beat Tsonga.   

We bought a bottle of champagne in Wimbledon Village and toasted his success after. I think that next year for this event I will study the rankings to see which group he is likely to be in and buy for both sessions on the day is is due to play. This assumes that I can still afford it and am not reduced to poverty by the EU?  Now they have extended the WTF being played in London till 2015 I will perhaps have three more chances. I do hope that you get the opportunity for a live event too.

No problem-hope you have great fun Smile

Oh,that sounds like it was such a terrific day!!I mean,strangely enough,even though I was watching on my own,in a living room in an entirely different country,as a big supporter of Andy who'd watched all of his matches with the excitement rising as he progressed through each one,that day I kind of felt the atmosphere and felt part of things,you know?So I can only imagine how it must have felt,actually being there,being a part of things!What incredible memories you must have taken away with you.So glad for you that you had that wonderful time Smile

Yeah,that sounds like a smart way to do things if you can.The way it all works out makes it so complicated to plan ahead!!Oh,thank you very much-I hope so too!Actually,there's a bit of a chance I might manage to get to the WTF next year.Couldn't manage it  this year,what with the financial situation being what it is at the mo,or before this cos my parents wouldn't have let me go to the UK on my own-well,they might've last year but then Andy's WTF was over almost before it began last year!-but my dad knows how huge an Andy fan I've been for so long,and he was saying that maybe if things are better next year,I could look at going...Won't know til much nearer the time,of course-and it depends on Andy qualifying again (I mean,if he keeps up playing well,then I can't see how he wouldn't,I just wouldn't want to jinx anything by declaring it a certainty when Andy would be the first to say it's not!).I'd love to go to the WTF,but I wouldn't go all the way to the UK unless I was sure I was gonna get to see Andy.Here's hoping!! Fingers crossed
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #106 on: November 08, 2012, 01:46 PM »

OK, Andy gonna win it in 2.
Will want to finish it as fast as he can..
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #107 on: November 08, 2012, 02:43 PM »

I think your all being quite disrespectful to Tsonga. He played a great match vs Fed last year at the O2.  He can cause an upset.  He hasn't been on form
 for quite a while. But he can still play well. And will probably want to prove to himself and to the crowd that he can  produce some excellent tennis.  Andy should win but its Andy Murray. Anything could happen.    Just annoys me in the last couple of matches that Andy has played in he has played so well had a number of MP and opportunities to win the match.    Then he just collapses for no reason at all.  I just don't get it.   He doesn't want to make a habit of it.  That's for sure
It wasn't really the case yesterday though John. He never had match points, never served for the match, never lead in the 2nd or 3rd set. He was 2-4 down in the 3rd set, faced break points at 1-3 and 2-4, and managed to fight back to 5-5. If he had gone on to win it would have been quite a steal. As it was Djokovic stepped it up again at 5-5 and then on the break points at 6-5 Djokovic hit three good first serves. Murray didn't choke, Djokovic was just marginally better at the death.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #108 on: November 08, 2012, 03:33 PM »

I find the match a bit tricky. Not because I don’t think that Andy won’t be able to beat Tsonga but Andy looks a bit spent mentally and having problems staying focused the whole during a match. So the occasional dips are a bit too apparent to me. He got broken twice in the final set yesterday for example. So I am wondering if this is going to cause problems against Tsonga too and if he’s going to get broken enough to lose a set.

I’ve made up mind on this one last night and that is, if he goes out before Semi, I’ll be fine. He needs to rest up properly for next year and start fresh. WTF will always be up for grab now that Federer is declining and Nadal is nowhere to be found. This year Andy had different sets of goals and priorities so he’d be only pushing too much if he were to go for WTF. He can try but there’s no reason to go beyond the boundaries right now. Let it come easy to him.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #109 on: November 08, 2012, 04:27 PM »

It wasn't really the case yesterday though John. He never had match points, never served for the match, never lead in the 2nd or 3rd set. He was 2-4 down in the 3rd set, faced break points at 1-3 and 2-4, and managed to fight back to 5-5. If he had gone on to win it would have been quite a steal. As it was Djokovic stepped it up again at 5-5 and then on the break points at 6-5 Djokovic hit three good first serves. Murray didn't choke, Djokovic was just marginally better at the death.

wasn't talking about that match in particular    Paris,  Shanghai,     Tokyo.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #110 on: November 08, 2012, 04:54 PM »

What we also have to remember is that coming up is the off-season training block,which will be,as Lendl has himself pointed out,the first extended period of training time they'll have had together since they've started working together.Lendl himself has said he's excited for it!Hopefully,they can take any concerns that they might have,any little problem areas,and work them out together,so Andy comes back ready for another stellar year next year!

Hi Dani and all,

I didn't want to reinvent the wheel, but just wanted to say that I agree with every word.

I think it's pretty incredible really that Andy has acheived so much within a relatively short time of working with Lendl. That said, I think Lendl would be the first to say that Andy has always had the talent. What I think personally Lendl has done is help Andy realise it. That, and helping him find a way to control his emotions, or use them more effectively. In terms of shots, the only flaws I think Andy had before this year were his second serve and his forehand. Those flaws are not there now. It makes you wonder how much better Andy will be in the next few years, as the partnership (it feels like that is what it is) with Lendl develops. I think that is exciting.

What I do think the issue for some is that once Andy got the first slam he was supposed to go on some sort of run. Of course, I'd have loved him to repeat the run in Asia he had last year, and I would be delighted if he wins the WTF, and he still has a great chance in my view. That said, if it should be the case that Andy has acheived all the heroics he is going to achieve this year, that is fine by me as well. I'm quite delighted to live off the memory of seeing Andy win the Olympics at Wimbledon over Federer, and beat Djokovic in a five set thriller for his first major win until next year if I have to, but he's not done this year yet, my bones are still convinced.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #111 on: November 08, 2012, 04:58 PM »

Early 2013 will probably see Murray play a warm-up tournament before the Australian Open.

Whether it's Brisbane like this year, or the Hopman Cup like previous years, I'm not sure yet.

I thought Andy had already confirmed Brisbane? Didn't he do so just prior to the USO?
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #112 on: November 08, 2012, 05:04 PM »

Andy will play Brisbane I'm sure of that.
IP Logged
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #113 on: November 08, 2012, 05:13 PM »

I agree Emma Jean & Teejay. I would love him to qualify but if he doesn't it won't be for lack of trying. He must be mentally drained if not physically.
The mention of Brisbane reminds me that I have stupidly booked our flights back from France on the day of the final of the Australian Open. We decided to book a Sunday so that when we arrived in Toronto we wouldn't hit the rush hour traffic. The best laid plans etc. etc.
Good luck tomorrow Andy.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #114 on: November 08, 2012, 05:23 PM »

If Andy plays Fed in the semis and Fed plays like he did today, Andy will win in two straight sets without any trouble at all.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #115 on: November 08, 2012, 05:28 PM »

I thought Andy had already confirmed Brisbane? Didn't he do so just prior to the USO?

He did,it was confirmed back in August
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #116 on: November 08, 2012, 05:30 PM »

If Andy plays Fed in the semis and Fed plays like he did today, Andy will win in two straight sets without any trouble at all.

But Federer probably didn't need to raise his level against Ferrer as much, whom he beats on a regular basis. 
IP Logged
rickymcg

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #117 on: November 08, 2012, 05:54 PM »

In 14 matches Ferrer has failed to beat Federer ( and has only won 3 or 4 sets).

For tomorrow, Andy needs a very crisp win versus Tsonga.  A 3 set win could see him still go out if Djoker loses.
In 3 set matches, Tsonga has never beaten Andy ( apart from a challenger tourney in 2004)  & has only won one set - hope for more of the same tomorrow
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #118 on: November 08, 2012, 06:03 PM »

My sentiments exactly.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: WTF RR: Murray vs Tsonga « Reply #119 on: November 08, 2012, 08:32 PM »

I think thats an optimistic view..... reality says to me that Fed played as well as he needed to win...Ferrer has a terrible record against Fed he simply doesnt know how to beat Fed. Andy will need to play the best tennis he has done since & including USopen to win this. I just see Andy's level as having dropped in terms of ability to focus at key moments in the big matches. His mental focus is drained after having a great breakthrough year. Like some other folks on here...Whilst Ill be supporting and hoping he wins...Im ok with Andy losing out in this tourno... It is best that he gets himself right in all aspects for a serious challenge at everything next year...and that No1 spot.

What I would add though.... Fed has been very fortunate in not only the group he was allocated for RR WTF but also the schedule....would he have already qualified having played Del Potro?... a player who just beat him on his home ground at a tourno he usually wins....I dont think so. I dont think Fed will win this tourno.... partly coz i just dont like him as a person...but I think he is around no5 in the world at the moment...del potro and Berdych have the beating of him as well as Djoko and Murray.
[ Last edit by ABF November 08, 2012, 08:53 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 39 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »