Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  WTF SF: Murray vs Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 ... 87 Go Down Reply
Author

WTF SF: Murray vs Federer

(Read 14303 times)
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1140 on: November 12, 2012, 09:04 AM »

That's way OTT Boogers......even from you! You should hang 'your' head in shame! I hope your 'noodly appendage' gets caught in your zip!
roflmao roflmao
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1141 on: November 12, 2012, 09:05 AM »

Andy was electric, and was up 4-2 30-0. He was being aggressive, executing with his shots, making few errors, and bullying Federer's serve yet again.

From that point onwards, he played ordinary tennis, and Federer fully deserved his win.

I really thought Andy would kick on after his maiden major, but I'll reserve judgement until the next slam. It's been a great year, an emotional rollercoaster and perhaps he suffered from the highs and lows as the year approached its end.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1142 on: November 12, 2012, 09:13 AM »

On a side note. Has Murray ever wore pink or purple like Federer and Nadal?

I would like to see him wear pink or purple actually. He can carry it out. Nole would look so silly if he tried though..
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1143 on: November 12, 2012, 09:14 AM »

I'm pretty sure that yesterday's crowd were made up of a lot of international fans who would have booked tickets to both semi-finals hoping to see their favourite in at least one of them.  That would apply to British Federer fans too. 

It's also an unfortunate fact that it only takes a tiny minority to boo, or cheer a double fault to sound bad.  There might be a few idiot British Fed fans who would join in, but I really cannot see it being the majority of Fed fans, never mind British ones.  It is disappointing, and worse that you are faced with that behaviour at your last match of the year at what should be a home crowd, but I think we need to remember that it reflects badly on those individuals, not the entire audience, or is reflective of the audience.

I still think that the general "miserable Scot being anti-English" image is part of the excuse used by those far more miserable individuals, and that bugs me.

Regarding Chris Hoy Boogers - there are several very obvious differences. 

1. Chris Hoy first came to the attention of the general public by winning multiple gold medals for Great Britain once he was already an adult and knew how to handle the press attention etc.  The press have always treated him as a national hero.
2. He's exactly the sort of Scottish person the Home Counties set love.  He went to private school, then St Andrews University, knows how to speak to the influential people with the right sort of accent and is pretty bland.  He turns up for all the right PR boosting events and doesn't make jokes about football etc. 

I say this as a friend of a friend of Chris's, so know he's a decent bloke, but I could tell you stories from his pre-fame younger days that are far "worse" than the things Andy ever did at the same age.  If he revealed these in an auto-biography now, he'd be thought of as having character and being a bit of a lad.

As a Scot who has lived in England and faced anti-Scottish prejudice at first hand, I could talk at length on the subject, but suffice to say there is a lot more to it than being born north of the border.  And please don't say it's just me - more often than not, I was privvy to the casual prejudice against other Scots when people forgot I was one too.

Some people over-react about it, which isn't helpful, but it's still real.  The best defence for Andy, if he cares, is to let people see more of him, but he's naturally shy and not interested in becoming a celebrity. 
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1144 on: November 12, 2012, 09:18 AM »

the British/French should look towards the Australians for inspiration.  They actually have respect and encourage their upcoming sport stars
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1145 on: November 12, 2012, 09:27 AM »

The thing thats most sad and disappointing is that Andy played his heart out at the olympics and achieved gold and silver...representing GB and publicly stating how was proud he was to be part of that team and how much he appreciated the support.
I feel like ...and im sure he does too...that he's been stabbed in the back.
If I were him Id not worry too much about what he says in the press from now on regarding any neutrality towards the success of any other 'home' nation other than his true home. Not in a million years would have got such poor support in Scotland. He would have recieved fantastic backing. Thats his true home and thats what counts.
Right now I feel London and their Olympics can go f*ck themselves with a Fed Tennis racket..... I'll think twice before I cheer for any athlete outside of Scotland representing the UK.
Great year Andy & congratulations!...fantastic achievments!...Scotland is very , very proud of you!

Good posting! ABF!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1146 on: November 12, 2012, 09:43 AM »

I don't think I've ever heard a crowd in Britain boo a tennis player before - and for the one player they choose to boo to be Andy is very disappointing after the fantastic year he's had. It's not as if he'd done something terrible on court either to warrant such a reaction. Andy deserved more respect than that. But it was only a small minority booing him and with it being an evening match, I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't been drinking in the afternoon.

I've seen a lot of posts talking about how appreciated Andy would be in Scotland. That's true of course, but he's also very much appreciated here too - he has many English fans, many of whom were at the 02 last night. Unfortunately they were mostly drowned out by the Federer fans. Even if the event was in Scotland, I dare say these same fans would travel up to support their man. He really has an absolutely huge fanbase - and I guess it's more evident here than at Wimbledon because of how easy it is for them to block book tickets for the 02.

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1147 on: November 12, 2012, 09:50 AM »

I've seen a lot of posts talking about how appreciated Andy would be in Scotland. That's true of course, but he's also very much appreciated here too - he has many English fans, many of whom were at the 02 last night. Unfortunately they were mostly drowned out by the Federer fans. Even if the event was in Scotland, I dare say these same fans would travel up to support their man. He really has an absolutely huge fanbase - and I guess it's more evident here than at Wimbledon because of how easy it is for them to block book tickets for the 02.
I think this is very true, and worth quoting.  I also agree with your bit about how some of them will have been drinking in the afternoon, and forgotten their manners and forgotten they are watching real people with real feelings, and not just animated versions of the posters they pass on the way in.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1148 on: November 12, 2012, 10:16 AM »

Again EJ, I agree. I love tennis as a sport, it's gladiatorial nature, the way that in a sense it is sport at its height and almost theatre, rolled in to one. Watch a Shakespeare play performed properly, watch a very, very good film, where you sit with baited breathe, knocked out by the performances, and that, in a nutshell, is what tennis is.

All sports have a level of banter. One set of football fans will have a pop at another, everyone who follows a sport considers their team, or individual, the best and will let others know it, carrying a flag, a banner, whatever it might be, or chanting etc. When it becomes ugly is not so much when people get behind their man (or woman) to the exclusion of all else, but when they set out to deliberately put others down. It's this that Andy was on the receiving end of last night.

Having thought of little else since waking this morning, I honestly now think that it wasn't Andy changing his racquet that turned the atmosphere. Looking back, it was ugly from the start. That crowd seemed to be waiting for Andy to fail so that they could rub his nose in it. It's this, rather than his loss, that has upset me so much.

As for Federer, there is one thing he could do that would help to redeem him a bit in my eyes. I'm not suggesting he encouraged the booing or anything like that, but neither did he seem remotely uncomfortable with it. He would come out of this very well for me if he issued a statement just to say that he did not approve of the way the crowd booed Andy and that those who did are not his (Federer's) true fans. I suspect I'll have a long wait for that, but it would be a decent gesture.

Absolutely agree with you Teejay-I felt,right from the start,when the cheers for Federer's entrance were so different to Andy's that this wasn't gonna be a crowd that was,as a majority,pulling for him-although I NEVER would've predicted what went on to happen!

The sad fact is,Andy did nothing at all to turn the atmosphere,or to deserve the horrible treatment he received.And it was just plain wrong.It might not've been been an event in which Andy was representing GB officially,but it was on in London,where they were only too happy for Andy to win them Gold against the same man a few months ago!Federer has a huge fanbase,we all know it,he's achieved huge,giant things in his career.Good for him!That's all very well-but Andy has earned the right to more support,and if not support then at least respect,than he got last night.I know there's a good chance some of it might've been drink-fuelled,but to my mind that doesn't make it ok.It certainly won't have made it hurt any less,or feel any less horrible for Andy and his team there last night.

I completely agree with you about Federer saying something,anything,to call out the crowd on their treatment of Andy-but unfortunately the last thing I heard is that he said the crowds were great in their support!So I think we might be waiting in vain if we wait for any kind of criticism of the treatment Andy got last night.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1149 on: November 12, 2012, 10:19 AM »

I would like to see him wear pink or purple actually. He can carry it out. Nole would look so silly if he tried though..

I couldn't see Andy in pink. He could carry off purple though. The one set of colours he should never wear again is red, white and blue, unless he becomes American.

On the other hand, I'd be happy to take Fed out and buy him a pink girly dress, so that he can wear it whilst doing his 'royal wave' to the crowd. Pink would suit him no end.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1150 on: November 12, 2012, 10:20 AM »

I don't think I've ever heard a crowd in Britain boo a tennis player before - and for the one player they choose to boo to be Andy is very disappointing after the fantastic year he's had. It's not as if he'd done something terrible on court either to warrant such a reaction. Andy deserved more respect than that. But it was only a small minority booing him and with it being an evening match, I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't been drinking in the afternoon.

The difference is they wouldn't be able to drown out Andy fans at Braehead.   Quite apart from the booing, the real disappointment was the general level of support.
I didn't like the atmosphere even in the first set when Andy was in the lead.    I could hardly watch.   I just wanted it to be over and I think that is what Andy wanted
too.    I've seen him dig in from 2 - 5 down having saved a match point but last night there was no fight in him.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1151 on: November 12, 2012, 10:24 AM »

Guys,I've just posted Andy's new blog for the BBC in the news thread.He's sounding pretty positive!(He's trying to figure out what to get Ivan for christmas lol!)
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1152 on: November 12, 2012, 10:27 AM »

The difference is they wouldn't be able to drown out Andy fans at Braehead.   Quite apart from the booing, the real disappointment was the general level of support.
I didn't like the atmosphere even in the first set when Andy was in the lead.    I could hardly watch.   I just wanted it to be over and I think that is what Andy wanted
too.    I've seen him dig in from 2 - 5 down having saved a match point but last night there was no fight in him.

I don't think the crowd had anything to do with the result. Recall in Paris against Gasquet when he was loudly booed even when walking onto the court. He couldn't stop grinning! And at the end when he won and was being roundly booed again he was grinning like a Cheshire Cat that had got all the cream. Water off a duck's back. He is tough enough to handle it.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1153 on: November 12, 2012, 10:31 AM »

(He's trying to figure out what to get Ivan for christmas lol!)

Ha ha...nice to hear that.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1154 on: November 12, 2012, 10:58 AM »

I just had a look at Neil Harman's twitter and he had a tweet from Julie Bertagna saying she was surrounded by hundreds of Englishmen cheering for Fed and jeering their Olympic Champion.
well that is just terrible !!! When I was at the 02 on Monday , we had fed fans behind us shouting come on fed and he wasn't even playing !!!! I rest my case!! But there were thousand of true Andy fans drowning them out. I sorry but I agree with others the sooner Fed retires the better , hope Djoker beats him tonight, but if I had watched a Fed match I certainly would not boo another player!!  ranting
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 ... 87 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »