Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  WTF SF: Murray vs Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 ... 87 Go Down Reply
Author

WTF SF: Murray vs Federer

(Read 14863 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1155 on: November 12, 2012, 11:00 AM »

I don't think the crowd had anything to do with the result. Recall in Paris against Gasquet when he was loudly booed even when walking onto the court. He couldn't stop grinning! And at the end when he won and was being roundly booed again he was grinning like a Cheshire Cat that had got all the cream. Water off a duck's back. He is tough enough to handle it.
That was in Paris playing a French man , not in his own country in front of a home crowd .
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1156 on: November 12, 2012, 11:12 AM »

I don't think the crowd had anything to do with the result. Recall in Paris against Gasquet when he was loudly booed even when walking onto the court. He couldn't stop grinning! And at the end when he won and was being roundly booed again he was grinning like a Cheshire Cat that had got all the cream. Water off a duck's back. He is tough enough to handle it.

I agree BN, that Andy is tough enough to handle what happened last night. He won't blame it for the loss, and he won't dwell on it, but I don't think that is the point.

It's interesting that you mention the FO. I watched the Gasquet match too, and Andy clearly enjoyed being cast as the villain in the eyes of the French crowd. However, I do think there is a difference. The crowds at Rolland Garros are basically a panto crowd. They cheer who they want, they boo who they want, they've even been known to switch sides halfway through a match. Sometimes you'd half expect a Rolland Garros crowd to yell out 'He's behind you!', or whatever that is in French.

At the FO there is a sense that 90% of what the crowd does is for fun, things like booing a player for challenging a call, that sort of thing. Rarely, if ever, does it feel like there is much venom in what they do. Last night was not remotely the same sort of atmosphere. Right from the start, in what even Petch called an 'electric' atmosphere, when he was analysing the various tactics that might be employed, the atmosphere was ugly. Rather than a Sunday evening, it was like a rowdy Saturday night at a grotty pub in a low part of town.

It was as if the crowd was baying for Andy's blood, literally. Some of it, I'm sure, was fuelled by over indulgence in the bars in the arena, but that is no justification. Even when Andy was ahead in the first set it was uncomfortable viewing. The crowd clearly had one winner in mind, and it wasn't the man who was in front at that point. Then came some errors from Andy. Any decent tennis fan knows you do not cheer double faults, but that is what they did, in fact they went further. I really do think they were trying to intimidate Andy off the court.

In a way I was glad when it was over and Andy got off the court quickly, but again, for no reason, he was booed. I'm not even sure the crowd reaction would have been any different if he'd won. I suspect it could have been even worse. I am not a dramatic person by nature, but I must admit to having feared for Andy's safety last night. It was one of the most awful situations I can ever remember seeing in sport. Andy, at the very least, is owed an apology.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1157 on: November 12, 2012, 11:16 AM »

I think you're wrong - I think the crowd did get to Andy last night.  If it had been in Paris and the crowd were booing he would have thrived on it - it would have put fire in his belly - but this was London and the crowd were actively hostile.  I think Andy really believed that this summer he had won over the British public and it must have been very galling for him to find that nothing has changed.  It felt to me like the Coliseum out there with the crowd baying for blood - nothing about it was pleasant and it left a very nasty taste in the mouth.  I think it definitely did affect Andy's play - he wouldn't have been human if it hadn't - and it was a sad way for him to end his stellar season not because of the loss but because of the manner of the loss.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1158 on: November 12, 2012, 11:17 AM »

Look recall when Andy won the USO he was the headline on the national news in Britain. That NEVER happens for a sporting event. I remember watching the BBC news in the evening and he was the first news item with a guy on to explain what an achievement it was.  The English celebrated almost as much as the Scots since it had been so long wince a Brit won a Slam. Id say the English in general are very proud of Andrew.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1159 on: November 12, 2012, 11:22 AM »

I think you're wrong - I think the crowd did get to Andy last night.  If it had been in Paris and the crowd were booing he would have thrived on it - it would have put fire in his belly - but this was London and the crowd were actively hostile.  I think Andy really believed that this summer he had won over the British public and it must have been very galling for him to find that nothing has changed.  It felt to me like the Coliseum out there with the crowd baying for blood - nothing about it was pleasant and it left a very nasty taste in the mouth.  I think it definitely did affect Andy's play - he wouldn't have been human if it hadn't - and it was a sad way for him to end his stellar season not because of the loss but because of the manner of the loss.
. I agree Alis , and I still can not believe it happened!! Just hope Andy realises that it is not what 95% !! Of us Would do.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1160 on: November 12, 2012, 11:31 AM »

Listening to Fed's presser, he only had praise for his fans - said that nights like last night and the support he had make him want to go on playing - says it all really doesn't it?
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1161 on: November 12, 2012, 11:34 AM »

The crowd won it for Fed in the end.  That is all
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1162 on: November 12, 2012, 11:36 AM »

Listening to Fed's presser, he only had praise for his fans - said that nights like last night and the support he had make him want to go on playing - says it all really doesn't it?

Unbelievable. Actually, what am I saying? It really isn't.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1163 on: November 12, 2012, 11:37 AM »

The more I read some of these posts, the more I realise why I 'hardly ever' post on the Andy threads anymore! It's hard to believe they are actually written by adults! It's like being back at school again! In fact it's more like the playground than 'Playground'!   confused  I think I'll go and play some games!
IP Logged
Becky
Challenger Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1164 on: November 12, 2012, 11:48 AM »

Just confirms what a snide fool he is.

I agree that there was a nasty edge to the crowd behaviour last night. Cheering like mad when Andy was making errors, booing him for changing his racquet. I always think that the French are a bit tongue in cheek when they get up to their antics but last night was a really unpleasant match to watch.

I hope Andy enjoys his holiday and has a great offseason so he's ready to roll come next year.
[ Last edit by Becky November 12, 2012, 12:01 PM ] IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1165 on: November 12, 2012, 11:51 AM »

He would expect that from a French crowd.    I think he made the mistake of thinking a British crowd would support him.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1166 on: November 12, 2012, 12:17 PM »

I've bitten the bullet and e-mailed in to Sky's tennis coverage. I've deliberately kept my words quite measured, as ranting about Federer in this situation seems inappropriate. I just felt the need to express my disgust with the crowd last night and express support for Andy.

I doubt it will be read, and I suspect if it is that Marcus and co. will have a laugh (I do point out that they do that whenever someone contacts them with anything negative connected with Federer, so I hope they'll take note), but sometimes you just have to stick your colours to the mast and do what you think is right. I think this is right.

Meanwhile, don't you let me down tonight Djokovic. I'm counting on you. Be the undefeated champion and celebrate right in Fed's face. I need a laugh.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1167 on: November 12, 2012, 12:23 PM »

but sometimes you just have to stick your colours to the mast and do what you think is right. I think this is right.

Meanwhile, don't you let me down tonight Djokovic. I'm counting on you. Be the undefeated champion and celebrate right in Fed's face. I need a laugh.

Well said.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1168 on: November 12, 2012, 12:32 PM »

I think Lendl met with negative crowds in his playing days. Hopefully he will be able to wise Andy up on the fickleness of crowd support.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1169 on: November 12, 2012, 12:34 PM »

Got to agree.  A pessimist doesn't just predict a negative outcome, and then is fine with it.  They worry about something negative happening, then worry some more when it happens, reading way too much into it.

A more positive, and emotionally resilient person will hope for the best, knowing full well that they are just hoping and it might not happen.  If it doesn't happen, they'll adjust their expectations accordingly and find something positive to focus on.
But how can you say that unless you're a pessimist yourself? Can you read their minds?

I tend to be more pessimistic where sports are concerned, yet funnily enough I'm over it already.

I just don't understand mass generalisation whatsoever. Everyone is different.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 ... 87 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »