Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  WTF SF: Murray vs Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 87 Go Down Reply
Author

WTF SF: Murray vs Federer

(Read 14054 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #75 on: November 11, 2012, 01:12 PM »

It's a lovely touch that Andy's got a poppy on his kit for today.  I see a lot of appreciation on his Facebook, but inevitably one numpty who is complaining that Andy "chose" an "English poppy".  Having lived (and bought poppies) in Scotland and England, I didn't even realise there was a difference, and more to the point, remembrance has always been about remembering ALL war dead, not even just the British ones.  It annoys me how some people can't help but hijack a cause to push their own agenda.

Some of them refer to Murray as 'Slamray'.

I can't work out if it's intended as a compliment or taking the piss that he's finally won a Slam.

I normally stay away from there due to the extreme hatred and nonsense opinions towards some players but it's certainly an interesting read. Most neutrals seem to favour Murray and the Federer fans are split between blind optimism and going with the form book.
They are quite bonkers over there, and when I say "they" I mean as a group.  There are a few trying to have sensible conversations inbetween the general abuse of players and each other.

There seems to be a love of nicknames, mainly insulting, but sometimes bigging them up, and it's hard to tell what it tongue in cheek and what is serious.  A lot of it is tongue in cheek, but then taken seriously by others getting their knickers in a twist about it.

I think calling Andy Slamray is just a new nickname (he was golden boy for a while), and for some it's an opportunity to take the mickey out of those who said he'd never win one as much as anything else.  For others, it's a short-hand for the new, improved Murray, aka Murray 2.0.

Even though I don't much like him, I feel sorry for Berdych.  He seems to have the most extensive collection of negative nicknames that are properly negative.   At least when they call Tsonga, Clownga, it's kind of cute!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #76 on: November 11, 2012, 01:14 PM »

Some of those fans on that menstennisforums are hilarious, i mean the last post from some guy in Argentina calling Andy a pusher still, i mean do people even watch Andy play?
My favourite post was this one:

"That would require him beating himself. Which we all know is not possible for weaponless pushers."

Less than 5 minutes after the same guy said this to someone who reckoned Murray would win in straights:

"*laugh*

The delusion is strong in here."
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #77 on: November 11, 2012, 01:43 PM »

My favourite post was this one:

"That would require him beating himself. Which we all know is not possible for weaponless pushers."

Less than 5 minutes after the same guy said this to someone who reckoned Murray would win in straights:

"*laugh*

The delusion is strong in here."

Haha yeah, and an Andy win tonight will make the fed fans bring out the "1001 reasons why fed lost the match book of excuses" and number one will be almost guaranteed.

Fed only lost because he had a match yesterday and Andy had a day off....

Anyway back to the match, nice to see the Olympic semi finalists back in the last 4 again, kind of ironic really and as the ATP site mentioned, this is the second time (2010) in three years the top three players are in the semi-finals at The O2. This is also the first time since 2004 the semi-finalists have won at least one career Grand Slam title.

Although the matchups are different this time, let's all hope for the same result in the end. CMON Andy!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #78 on: November 11, 2012, 01:55 PM »

Exact repeat match ups of the Olympic Final day. Will be amazing.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #79 on: November 11, 2012, 02:35 PM »

That's really lovely of him-and he's been wearing the poppy all week in his post-match press conferences too (plus Kim's been wearing one at each match).Such a sweet,genuine guy.

Yeah, I am so happy he has not left it after the first match. I thought it would be only for that one but continues to wear it which makes me feel so proud of him.
IP Logged
Becky
Challenger Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #80 on: November 11, 2012, 02:56 PM »

I only ever read MTF if I'm in need of a cheap laugh. You can't take anything you read on there seriously.

And Slamray is better than the usual Mugray he gets called on there all the time.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #81 on: November 11, 2012, 03:08 PM »

I just hope the crowd get behind Andy more than Fed, that's the one that's going to hurt me. It's so dam disrespectful and embarrassing.

cmonandy

I bet they will support Andy more in this match.
Come on, home crowd? They don't have a bad heart towards the home boy.
Actually, I think they will be neutral..
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #82 on: November 11, 2012, 03:18 PM »

Juan Martin took 1st set 6 -4 vs Novak. JMdP is playing good, steady tennis! Exciting to see what happens in the 2nd set !!
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #83 on: November 11, 2012, 03:31 PM »

I bet they will support Andy more in this match.
Come on, home crowd? They don't have a bad heart towards the home boy.
Actually, I think they will be neutral..
I'm not so sure.  Think  Federer has an enormous following not least in the UK. Remember Federer was a champion years before Andy came on the scene. I cant see his established fans deserting RF for Andy.
There's bound to be many Murray fans there so we'll have to see who has the loudest voices!! cmon yeah
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #84 on: November 11, 2012, 03:32 PM »

I'm not so sure.  Think  Federer has an enormous following not least in the UK. Remember Federer was a champion years before Andy came on the scene. I cant see his established fans deserting RF for Andy.
There's bound to be many Murray fans there so we'll have to see who has the loudest voices!! cmon yeah

It would be just sick if they stick with Fed.
For some reason, I can't picture that happening. Bad thought  yuk
IP Logged
dave_ladder
Junior

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #85 on: November 11, 2012, 03:59 PM »

I'm not so sure.  Think  Federer has an enormous following not least in the UK. Remember Federer was a champion years before Andy came on the scene. I cant see his established fans deserting RF for Andy.

This is true. There's also an almost boyband element to tennis support at times (i.e. teenage girls and unfulfilled housewives supporting players they fancy). It's mainly Nadal who gets that in this country, but Federer does as well.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #86 on: November 11, 2012, 04:07 PM »

I was there two full days this week and it is a very mixed crowd - age, gender, nationality, ethnicity. Since nobody knew until last night who would be playing there will be fans of many different players there - and yes Fed has an enormous following, so chances are there will be a lot of his fans there.

It's not Davis Cup.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #87 on: November 11, 2012, 04:08 PM »

It's not Davis Cup.

But it is LONDON...God, you are making me doubt my own thoughts now..
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #88 on: November 11, 2012, 04:23 PM »

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS AS ALWAYS ANDY.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #89 on: November 11, 2012, 04:24 PM »

But it is LONDON...God, you are making me doubt my own thoughts now..

and I'm sure Andy will get massive support, but I'm just saying that there are lots of non Londoners/Brits there as well who can support who they want!

I'd love to be in a Davis Cup crowd with Andy playing though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 87 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »