Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  WTF SF: Murray vs Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 ... 87 Go Down Reply
Author

WTF SF: Murray vs Federer

(Read 14249 times)
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1200 on: November 12, 2012, 04:05 PM »

I still think that Andy has a niggling back problem and I am not using this as an excuse merely an observation as he did say he would use the off season to get it sorted properly.  Hope he manages to get it totally sorted and then goes on to have a fruitful training camp with Lendl.
Whilst I am still angry at the crowd last night Andy is made of strong scottish stuff and I hope he does manage to get home to Scotland as after previous hard to swallow defeats he has returned home to pick himself up and dust himself down.

I read a comment on here about RF staying on court and signing autographs for ages - well yes he would have to he was the winner, have you seen how quickly he dissapears from the court when he has lost?   I have seen Andy play DC a few times at Braehead and each time he has signed endless requests for auyographs, posed for photos etc.  remember when he returned home he spent 4 hours speaking to his fans, signing flags, getting photos taken etc.  And would any professional who had been treated the way he was stay and sign autographs.  I know there were Andy fans there last night unfortunately they were drowned out by a majority crowd with little respect for a young sportsman who excelled himself in 2012.

Andy will never be Djokovich and I personally would not want him to change who he is, he is an unassuming, down to earth and humble kind of bloke who does not want the celebsville part of the sport.   What he deserved last night was the respect from the crowd to acknowledge his achievements whether you support him or not.

I really hope that Andy returns in 2013 with  a renewed vigour to get that No. 1 spot and some more titles, I really think he will, after all this is a guy who has taken more hard knocks than a Heavyweight Boxer and still returned time after time bigger and better and ready to go for it.  I am sure that Lendl will be invaluable to him, not only from  a technical point of view but also from a pyschological point of view, he was not the best liked player on the circuit but he used it to his advantage.

Although this is quite shallow I really hope that Djoko turns Fed over with a straight sets victory and then everyone will see just how "lovely" RF is.  When he is beaten he reminds me of a nasty kid that has had his toys taken away!!!!  Come on Djoko .....
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1201 on: November 12, 2012, 04:12 PM »

I thought he looked OK to start with but he did give up the ghost very easily which could be mental fatigue.    He's usually up for a battle.   Did anyone else notice how he blew on his hands continually as he walked along the corridor.    It made him look very nervous.

I noticed the blowing on his hands. I wondered about that and thought he might have had cold hands. They have to do that stupid thing (at least, I think it is) of walking out with the mascot, the child, don't they? Andy is just the type to be considerate and not want to hold hands with a youngster if he had cold hands.

Judging by the way he looked in his pre-match interview, and how Andy was in the early stages of the match, I don't think he was especially nervous. He didn't look it.

I do think Andy is just mentally fatigued at the moment. He is entitled to be. However, I do think the crowd being so hostile, openly so, confused him as well. When he began to wobble in the latter stages of the first set, to let Smugscum back, it might have been different if the crowd had got behind him. They didn't, instead they turned on him even more.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1202 on: November 12, 2012, 04:23 PM »

Be intresting to see the draw for the AO when it comes out.

Andy will probably end up playing Raonic, Berdych (who I now think is a pussycat compared to Smugscum) and a wildly popular Aussie, probably in the opening round. Maybe Tomic will have decided he wants a career by then, who knows? Assuming he is back, Andy won't be able to play Rafa, assuming that the rankings won't change a huge amount.

No, seriously. Every half decent hard court player will be on Andy's side of the draw. Then again, would he have it any different? I don't think so. The lad likes a challenge, and he loves the hard courts. Plays quite well on them too, our Andy.

Andy always plays well at the AO though. I'm looking forward to it immensely. I'd even be up for a Murray/Fed final, with Andy winning in straights. Revenge would be a beautiful thing, and I wouldn't normally say that lol.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1203 on: November 12, 2012, 04:23 PM »

I know Andy was congratulated by quite a lot of the guys for his win at the US open.I know Rafa sent him a lovely tweet Roddick had nice things to say about his win and im sure many more players.You can bet your life Smugfed wasn't one of them though.Anything he congratulated anyone for would be half hearted.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1204 on: November 12, 2012, 04:25 PM »

great article Mike. The crowd where embarrassing yesterday. You would of thought this event was held in Basel, not London. They should be ashamed of themselves. I for one don't care if your British and you don't support Murray. That's your loss, but the fact that quite a lot of people were booing Andy after the year he has had, just goes to show how disrespectful and how ignorant some people can be. Yes I do take into account that Fed is this, Fed is that, Fed is the most popular player ever, he is the face of tennis blah blah blah, but honestly it did feel like a Swiss Davis Cup Tie. I must say I felt sorry for the great number of Murray fans at the arena. They were drowned by the Federer fans - they lacked class, cheering whenever Murray lost the point . There was hardly any British flags in the arena, Where was Wimbledon crowd that feel in love with Andy and his tears? Where was the Olympic crowd that lifted Murray to success. No where no be seen.

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1205 on: November 12, 2012, 04:26 PM »

I wasn't surprised when I saw that Roger had not congratulated Andy for a long long time and he did so in a very indirect way when only asked about it...sigh.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1206 on: November 12, 2012, 04:28 PM »

I know Andy was congratulated by quite a lot of the guys for his win at the US open.I know Rafa sent him a lovely tweet Roddick had nice things to say about his win and im sure many more players.You can bet your life Smugfed wasn't one of them though.Anything he congratulated anyone for would be half hearted.

The worst part is, he does it with a smile and very convincingly and fools a lot of people (read my brother, my mom, my grandpa and yeah, almost my whole family)...
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1207 on: November 12, 2012, 04:40 PM »

Just a thought before I go. I've done literally nothing today. Haven't had the stomach to do anything.

I wonder if ticket sales for the WTF spiked after the Olympics. I just wonder if a lot of Fed's fans booked their tickets then, in the hope they would see a Federer/Murray match.

I may be wrong, but thinking about it, there was almost something pre-planned about last night. It really feels to me as if Andy was set up for that crowd.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1208 on: November 12, 2012, 04:41 PM »

I've just written a draft of my e-mail.Would it be at all possible to skim through it and maybe tell me if you guys have any suggestions or criticisms?

My only thought would be that Sky will get LOTS of emails and they probably don't read past a paragraph or two.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1209 on: November 12, 2012, 04:53 PM »

I noticed the blowing on his hands. I wondered about that and thought he might have had cold hands. They have to do that stupid thing (at least, I think it is) of walking out with the mascot, the child, don't they? Andy is just the type to be considerate and not want to hold hands with a youngster if he had cold hands.

Judging by the way he looked in his pre-match interview, and how Andy was in the early stages of the match, I don't think he was especially nervous. He didn't look it.

I do think Andy is just mentally fatigued at the moment. He is entitled to be. However, I do think the crowd being so hostile, openly so, confused him as well. When he began to wobble in the latter stages of the first set, to let Smugscum back, it might have been different if the crowd had got behind him. They didn't, instead they turned on him even more.
I found this article that I thought some would be interested in.....speaking of the fedlove over Andy.

Mike Dickson: Why British fans should always back Murray... even against His Rogerness
By Mike Dickson
PUBLISHED: 09:08 EST, 12 November 2012 | UPDATED: 09:22 EST, 12 November 2012
Comments (11) Share

..In a global survey of 50,000 people last year, Roger Federer emerged as the world’s second most trusted and admired human being behind Nelson Mandela.
Andy Murray might console himself with this fact as he begins his off-season today, perhaps wondering why his match at the 02 Arena last night occasionally felt like an away Davis Cup tie versus Switzerland.
Outside his homeland Federer is admired nowhere more than he is in the UK, and understandably so, given his marvellous deeds at Wimbledon and the way that, even at 31, he remains among the most miraculously gifted and graceful athletes in any sport to watch.

Basle-on-Thames: There was overwhelming support for Roger Federer at the O2 Arena on Sunday
ATP WORLD TOUR FINALS
Click here to watch video highlights 
.He also attracts an international travelling fan club unlike anyone else in tennis, so it was no surprise that there were so many national flags and T shirts on show bearing the white cross on a red background.
It all made for an outstanding atmosphere, but what was also surprising was the lack of emphatic support for the home player, one playing his first tournament in London since his historic achievement of banishing the ghost of Fred Perry by winning the US Open.
And wasn’t that emotional and generous speech after the Wimbledon final meant to have turned us into a nation of Murray converts at long last?
Not on the evidence of last night, when he actually got booed by some sections as he changed his racket during the tiebreak.

One colleague reported astonishment at finding that someone with a broad Scottish accent was wearing one of those ‘RF’-logoed shirts.

The Fed Express: Federer (above) beat Andy Murray (below) 7-6, 7-2 in front of a number of his own fans, despite the match being at the O2 in London

If I had a pound for every time I told a reader, colleague or friend that the British No 1 is a more appealing chap for the knowing than he comes across on court or in a formal interview I would now be reclining on my yacht in the Caribbean, so let us not go back over old ground.
There will always be a hard core of people in England who will blame Murray for everything from the Barnett Formula to a throwaway line about not supporting England at football when he was much younger, but the fair-minded seemed to have warmed to him more than last night suggested.
What is certain is that he has handled himself impeccably since Wimbledon and has noticeably matured.

His extraordinary work ethic and monastic devotion to his sport has always been there to admire, and now increasingly he is able to make sense of the world in which he finds himself.
His bold decision to hire Ivan Lendl as coach, and the resulting Grand Slam victory, has simply been one of the great stories of a great sporting year.

No 1 fan? Actor Kevin Spacey was in the crowd watching the match
Yet who is more likely to to win an award on Sports Personality of the Year next month? Tennis players traditionally do well in the Overseas category, with six recipients in the last eleven years.
Novak Djokovic is the holder and Federer has won it three times.
He probably will not win it again in the year of the London Olympics, but he will not be far off in recognition of his latest Wimbledon title.

Murray is sure to poll strongly, as he should after achieving so much in a global individual sport which he competes at without any help from team-mates, but last night’s events bolster the view that Bradley Wiggins is a cert.

Popular: Federer has a huge following outside his native Switzerland
At what is a truly international event in a very international city it was not that Murray received a hostile reception from the 17,800 packed into the O2.
He was roared onto the court at the start of the match, and you can be sure that if it was against ABF (Anyone But Federer) he would have been the crowd favourite.
Seemingly we are prepared to forgive Federer’s his odd fashion faux-pas and occasional unselfconscious arrogance, but find it harder to look beyond Murray’s less serene demeanour on court to see how true he is to himself away from it.
Nonetheless, you would hope that next time a predominantly British crowd will not bend the knee quite so much before His Rogerness and get more behind a British player.

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1210 on: November 12, 2012, 04:58 PM »

You can bet your ass if Henman was up against Federer instead of Andy yesterday, he would have received undivided attention from the Brit crowd. The Federer fans (as if some of them aren’t Brit fans. Right.) wouldn’t have dared to boo Andy or cheer on Andy’s double fault.  And don't give me your version of the truth because I watched Henman in his days as well and quite familiar with the kind of support he used to get.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1211 on: November 12, 2012, 05:06 PM »

Speaking of the article that mentioned Kevin Spacey, I wonder what he thought of Andy being booed?
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1212 on: November 12, 2012, 05:11 PM »

Is it because Andy is Scottish???  And did I see someone write that the Scotts would be changing and not be part of the Brits?
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1213 on: November 12, 2012, 05:11 PM »

My only thought would be that Sky will get LOTS of emails and they probably don't read past a paragraph or two.

That's a very good point,and you're probably right TD!Should've thought of that,but I've never done anything like that before.I know it was a bit long-winded.Sky rather bore the brunt of everything I wished I could say to Smugfed and every one of last night's eejits!!I might send an abbreviated version too-maybe the first and last paragraphs or something.Thanks very much for reading through and leaving your comment,and to Iluvandy and Caroline too,and to anyone else who read it!Much appreciated. Very Happy
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1214 on: November 12, 2012, 05:14 PM »

I found this article that I thought some would be interested in.....speaking of the fedlove over Andy.

Mike Dickson: Why British fans should always back Murray... even against His Rogerness
By Mike Dickson
PUBLISHED: 09:08 EST, 12 November 2012 | UPDATED: 09:22 EST, 12 November 2012
Comments (11) Share

..In a global survey of 50,000 people last year, Roger Federer emerged as the world’s second most trusted and admired human being behind Nelson Mandela.

Andy Murray might console himself with this fact as he begins his off-season today, perhaps wondering why his match at the 02 Arena last night occasionally felt like an away Davis Cup tie versus Switzerland.
Outside his homeland Federer is admired nowhere more than he is in the UK, and understandably so, given his marvellous deeds at Wimbledon and the way that, even at 31, he remains among the most miraculously gifted and graceful athletes in any sport to watch.

Sampras also won 7 Wimbledon, in fact prior Federer and was known as the King of Grass and was also the one who first broke Laver's long time of record of total GSs. Things were never this obnoxious. The Brits never saw any short of support of Henman because of that either.

The day Federer retires, the day tennis world will restore its sanity again. There’s popularity and then there’s popularity. This is just the wrong kind of popularity and the integrity of this sport is at its lowest level right now because of his fans.

Also, the comparison between Mandela and Federer is hilarious. This is the same as Obama competing against Justine Beiber both in popularity contest as well as the twitting contest.  They are always fighting neck to neck in terms of popularity but you know very well the actual difference between the two is night and day.

I mean things have gone so bad for the current world now Federer, Mandela, Obama, Beiber are all mentioned in the same breath.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean November 12, 2012, 05:17 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 ... 87 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »