Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  WTF SF: Murray vs Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 Go Down Reply
Author

WTF SF: Murray vs Federer

(Read 12911 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1230 on: November 12, 2012, 06:35 PM »

This case is not only seen in the UK the most the French are well known for it.And some Scots were wearing RF teeshirts and were there supporting him and not Andy.

I know a Scot who prefers Federer over Andy and I am sure on Saturday, it was no different for her. That's never the point I am making. I am simply talking about the booing and how the support felt all one sided all of a sudden at this particular match. Even Andy was caught off guard. Andy knows of Federer's popularity but the overwhelming support for Federer baffled him to the point he couldn't concentrate anymore. I am sure given that he was there playing the match, if it were only Federer fans whoever they are, he wouldn't be so heavily surprised. He must have noticed much more than that to get all distracted.

And this is now talk of the town not just here but everywhere because it was so noticeable.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1231 on: November 12, 2012, 06:38 PM »

So you basically proved my point. When Andy plays Olympics, you will support him because he is playing for his country. On any other occasion, he's pretty much on his own and deserves booing if needed.

No, not quite. The booing was out of line, but you seem to be upset that a British crowd weren't fully behind him. My point is that in an individual sport like Tennis there's no real incentive to support a player just because of their nationality.

People support Federer because he plays sublime tennis and wins a lot. This is the same reason why people supported Michael Schumacher and Tiger Woods. Success breeds fandom.

Unless Andy is playing for his country - which he clearly wasn't last night - the crowd is entitled to support whomever their favourite player is.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1232 on: November 12, 2012, 06:44 PM »

No, not quite. The booing was out of line, but you seem to be upset that a British crowd weren't fully behind him. My point is that in an individual sport like Tennis there's no real incentive to support a player just because of their nationality.

People support Federer because he plays sublime tennis and wins a lot. This is the same reason why people supported Michael Schumacher and Tiger Woods. Success breeds fandom.

Unless Andy is playing for his country - which he clearly wasn't last night - the crowd is entitled to support whomever their favourite player is.

You're completely right when you say that the crowd is entitled to support whoever they like.Nobody,no matter where they are or who they are (not even the GOAT himself) is automatically entitled to support.But what they are entitled to is respect.Everyone deserves to be treated with a bit of respect.And at the WTF especially,when you have to be one of the 8 best in the whole world just to have a chance to compete there,well,that deserves a hell of a lot of respect.And there was a fundamental lack of it last night.Andy was entitled to be treated with respect,and it just wasn't shown.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1233 on: November 12, 2012, 06:57 PM »

You're completely right when you say that the crowd is entitled to support whoever they like.Nobody,no matter where they are or who they are (not even the GOAT himself) is automatically entitled to support.But what they are entitled to is respect.Everyone deserves to be treated with a bit of respect.And at the WTF especially,when you have to be one of the 8 best in the whole world just to have a chance to compete there,well,that deserves a hell of a lot of respect.And there was a fundamental lack of it last night.Andy was entitled to be treated with respect,and it just wasn't shown.
Good posting!

Federer in his self perceived role of "King of all British Tennis Tournaments" could have shown some class and commented about the fact that Andy deserved some respect from the crowd whatever their personal preference. 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1234 on: November 12, 2012, 06:58 PM »

I'm not watching the tennis just now, but deliberately watched the start of the coverage. They eventually mentioned the crowd last night. Crofty spoke of being surprised at how one-sided the support was - cue tonnes of Fed adoration - and said she thought it must have had an effect on Andy. Quick that one, isn't she? Also, she sort of laughed as she remarked that 'some Andy fans are quite disgusted at the lack of support for him'. Understatement of the bloody year Annabelle!

I think Andy was great in his presser. Calm, composed, looking to remember the positives, if a bit shell-shocked, and to be blunt, looking rather like he'd been **** on. Well, he had.

My take on this is still simple. GB doesn't deserve such a brilliant tennis player. Andy should tell Leon Smith he will no longer play Davis Cup, and then he should become an American. Either that, or when/if Scotland becomes independent, he should state loud and long that he is a Scot and he plays for Scotland. That will piss off some of the English, especially the Pimm's brigade (although, last night the issue was more the chips, beer and fags brigade - fags meaning cigarettes, she says, thinking about how that could be taken!), but that's okay. Andy should tell them to sod off as well.

Amongst all this I keep hearing Lendl using a term my Dad used to say. 'Don't let the buggers drag you down kid', except Lendl might use a stronger word, one that means a fatherless child.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1235 on: November 12, 2012, 06:59 PM »

Good posting!

Federer in his self perceived role of "King of all British Tennis Tournaments" could have shown some class and commented about the fact that Andy deserved some respect from the crowd whatever their personal preference. 

That is absolutely right.
IP Logged
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1236 on: November 12, 2012, 07:01 PM »

Really good article in today's Guardian by Kevin Mitchell, says it all.
I see Andy & Chris Hoy shared the Scottish Sports Personality award.
Well done Andy!!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1237 on: November 12, 2012, 07:07 PM »

You never need to tell me that because I am never a nationalist. I was born in one country and then raised in two other. I have always maintained that tennis is an individual sport and for that reason Olympics should be eliminated altogether since it only confuses things. I supported Andy because I support him regardless and I respect his decisions.

I am not too keen on the crowd support; what I am keen on is that they are fair in their judgment and they weren’t. Andy supporters weren’t booing Federer, were they?  But a lot of the Federer fans were and it’s no mystery that Federer has quite bit of fan base in the UK as well and it’s more than likely that some of them were involved in booing Andy. I don’t like the notion of pointing fingers at all others but ourselves. This is called not owning responsibility.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean November 12, 2012, 07:15 PM ] IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1238 on: November 12, 2012, 07:09 PM »

Really good article in today's Guardian by Kevin Mitchell, says it all.
I see Andy & Chris Hoy shared the Scottish Sports Personality award.
Well done Andy!!

Where did you read about the Scottish Sports Awards, usually this is televised, I watched it last year when Andy won?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1239 on: November 12, 2012, 07:11 PM »

I've asked a countless times on the other forum why Andy's a Scot when he loses and a Brit when he wins. It’s not that big a mystery but it still tends to baffle people’s minds. They even had a thread going on called, What is Andy's true Identity - is he a Scot or a Brit? lol but the conflict is too apparent.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1240 on: November 12, 2012, 07:17 PM »

I've asked a countless times on the other forum why Andy's a Scot when he loses and a Brit when he wins. It’s not that big a mystery but it still tends to baffle people’s minds. They even had a thread going on called, What is Andy's true Identity - is he a Scot or a Brit? lol but the conflict is too apparent.
Andy maybe a Scot to some when he loses and a Brit to some when he wins but not to everyone.And i dont think any Brit on MW looks on Andy like that win or lose else why would they be on here supporting him.He's a Scot first and a Brit second to me win or lose.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1241 on: November 12, 2012, 07:20 PM »

And here it is no difference with the typical ones. You know full well that boogers comment on “Andy should hang his head in shame” was below the belt and yet, I didn’t see you opposing that all that much. In fact, you let go a lot of boogers snide remarks, which I actually don’t find all that surprising. 

How on earth do you come to that conclusion? How does ignoring it equate to supporting it, which is clearly what you're implying?

Every single time Andy loses, every single time the match threads take a new low and every single time it involved the likes of boogers, BigNose etc. A lot of us are very tired of that sort sh*t as well.

How is this in any way relevant to my post?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1242 on: November 12, 2012, 07:31 PM »

How on earth do you come to that conclusion? How does ignoring it equate to supporting it, which is clearly what you're implying?

You've already defended him quite a few times on other occasions.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1243 on: November 12, 2012, 08:06 PM »

I am not too keen on the crowd support; what I am keen on is that they are fair in their judgment and they weren’t. Andy supporters weren’t booing Federer, were they?  But a lot of the Federer fans were and it’s no mystery that Federer has quite bit of fan base in the UK as well and it’s more than likely that some of them were involved in booing Andy. I don’t like the notion of pointing fingers at all others but ourselves. This is called not owning responsibility.

Some of you people live in a bubble. Talk about sheltered lives. Sportsmen and women get booed. Fact. Sometimes they get cheered. Fact.  Big deal. Mostly they are paid fortunes for the privilege.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1244 on: November 12, 2012, 08:12 PM »

Every single time Andy loses, every single time the match threads take a new low and every single time it involved the likes of boogers, BigNose etc. A lot of us are very tired of that sort sh*t as well.

Emma get off your high horse.  There are many people sick of the bile you direct at Federer and his supporters. This is a Pro Andy Murray site not an anti-Federer site.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »