Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  WTF SF: Murray vs Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer  (Read 11969 times)
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1245 on: November 12, 2012, 08:21 PM »

Emma get off your high horse.  There are many people sick of the bile you direct at Federer and his supporters. This is a Pro Andy Murray site not an anti-Federer site.

I thought they were one and the same..

Federer is not the fan's favourite for what he does, but for what he doesn't do.  All the things Murray and Djokovic do, which speaks more to those who aren't looking for idols and figureheads, because they see in them fallible human beings who still triumph in the face of adversity on many occasions.  It's the difference between reality-TV and reality.  A carefully crafted image and brand vs. raw and oftentimes uncontrolled emotions.  And let's face it, which one paints a more honest picture for future generations?

end quote

I find Andy Murray appealing purely because it is more to do with him being the complete opposite of Federer PLC.

His tennis ability and skill is not in question, what he stands for is, he has become more of a brand than an exceptionally talented tennis player.
IP Logged
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1246 on: November 12, 2012, 08:21 PM »

The article is on the Andy Murray Fan Forum where people seem to be very supporting of Andy. The award was announced at the Commonwealth Dinner. Meant to say this is a reply to Murray Magic.
Let's see if Djokovic gets booed tonight. The BBC are receiving lots of tweets about the shameful episode of last night.
Emma Jean, regarding the madness of Andy being a Scot when he looses etc. I believe the BBC played a huge part in the propagation of this. The strap line on the news would say Scottish tennis star Andy Murray lost in straight sets to whoever and then a week or so later it might say British number 4 Andy Murray defeated etc. It never varied and they didn't reply to my numerous emails and it has become a huge joke in Scotland.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1247 on: November 12, 2012, 08:36 PM »

Good posting!

Federer in his self perceived role of "King of all British Tennis Tournaments" could have shown some class and commented about the fact that Andy deserved some respect from the crowd whatever their personal preference.  

Unfortunately ...King Smuggly is a very good tennis player combined with being a complete tool of a person...therefore an appropriate role model for his bandwagon fans.

Was thinking though....must be a real compliment to Murray that Fed's fans feel so threatened by Andy that they had act the way they did.
[ Last edit by ABF November 12, 2012, 08:46 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1248 on: November 12, 2012, 08:45 PM »

Unfortunately ...King Smuggly is a very good tennis player combined with being a complete tool of a person...therefore an appropriate role model for his bandwagon fans

100% agree.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1249 on: November 12, 2012, 08:47 PM »

Emma get off your high horse.  There are many people sick of the bile you direct at Federer and his supporters. This is a Pro Andy Murray site not an anti-Federer site.

For me, it is both - unfortunately for you.
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1250 on: November 12, 2012, 08:56 PM »

Good posting!

Federer in his self perceived role of "King of all British Tennis Tournaments" could have shown some class and commented about the fact that Andy deserved some respect from the crowd whatever their personal preference. 

This is risible. It never happens in  professional sport. In any sport. Ever.
The next time Liverpool go to Old Trafford should we expect Alex Ferguson to plead with his fans not to boo Liverpool? Err No.  Its part and parcel of paying your money. Its audience participation. Its fun. It creates an atmosphere. Cheer on your team and boo your opponents. Jeez!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1251 on: November 12, 2012, 09:06 PM »

No, not quite. The booing was out of line, but you seem to be upset that a British crowd weren't fully behind him. My point is that in an individual sport like Tennis there's no real incentive to support a player just because of their nationality.
And there's no need to heckle, boo or jeer a player because they aren't your favourite.  There's a very big gap between being "fully behind" a player, and what happened to Andy.  Since when does a player need to be your absolute favourite for them to deserve basic respect?

The excuse that not everyone has to be an Andy fan, even if they are British, is missing the point entirely, and it's mind boggling if anyone actually believes it's an acceptable explanation for last night's behaviour.

On reflection, I'm sure that the main aggravating factor for the bad behaviour was the hope of revenge for Andy denying Roger his gold medal.   Clearly they weren't all British, but reports suggest some British Roger fans got swept up in the moment, and it's up to them to justify it to themselves and for people like that, any old excuse will do.  In reality, the people who think or act that way have never achieved anything significant in their lives, and just as likely, have never actually tried, because they lack the guts or imagination.

One possible irony is that this episode has drawn attention to how badly behaved Federer fans can be, and made a lot of the tennis writers indignant.  They've long been banging on about how Andy has been misunderstood, and this has given them the opportunity to repeat themselves. 

Thankfully, for all that there are still some who believed the early tabloid mis-reporting of Andy, I've seen hardly any negative reporting of Andy himself from the British press for some time.    A lot of UK newspapers appear to have an editorial policy of not having a go at our Olympic medalists (hence universal love of Wiggins and Hoy), and long may it continue for Andy.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1252 on: November 12, 2012, 09:07 PM »

The next time Liverpool go to Old Trafford should we expect Alex Ferguson to plead with his fans not to boo Liverpool? Err No.  Its part and parcel of paying your money. Its audience participation. Its fun. It creates an atmosphere. Cheer on your team and boo your opponents. Jeez!

Not in tennis, it's about respect, what other tourneys do you see a crowd behaving like that, not even DC is like that.  So you think it's audience participation to cheer a missed first serve and applaud a DF?  Obviously you don't watch very much tennis f you think that's acceptable!!!
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1253 on: November 12, 2012, 09:08 PM »

He did actually when the Hillsborough enquiry report came out.    If a tough old footie manager can do that why not the gentleman of tennis?
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1254 on: November 12, 2012, 09:09 PM »

...and if it was just a case of booing an opponent ...yeah no big deal. ..but its not just that...there is a spiteful undercurrent against Andy and the more success he achieves the more it seems to be vocalised by the same half-wits who suddenly claim to be Fed fans..when really they just want to oppose Andy. There are Fed fans who simply support him due to his tennis ability ...which of course is fair enough...we all have our favs..i just dont believe some of those people heckling Andy were truly Fed fans...just conveniently joining up with Fed fans.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1255 on: November 12, 2012, 09:09 PM »

Why on earth did Roger tell the crowd to #shutup, if it's all part of the fun?  He didn't look too cheery when it happened to him.  Why do umpires (the people in charge of the rules) tell the audience to be "quiet please", if there is no expectation that tennis players need to be able to concentrate to play properly?
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1256 on: November 12, 2012, 09:13 PM »

Why on earth did Roger tell the crowd to #shutup, if it's all part of the fun?  He didn't look too cheery when it happened to him.  Why do umpires (the people in charge of the rules) tell the audience to be "quiet please", if there is no expectation that tennis players need to be able to concentrate to play properly?

Forgot about that, good point, he was majorly hacked that day and come to think of it I remember he did not conduct himself with as much dignity as Andy did last night.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1257 on: November 12, 2012, 09:21 PM »

Sorry, but I can't agree.....perhaps in English football it's acceptable.  Booing is an unclassy thing to do, no athlete deserves it.  I have to wonder what Andy was thinking when he heard it.   I wonder if he had been winning if he would still get the boos.  At any rate, whoever was doing the booing, they were an unclassy bunch, just like the player they were rahrahing.  Roger is an excellent tennis player, but is arrogant and classless.  It's all about him.

I remember being at Wimbledon in 01, Sampras was playing Cohen and the crowd was so loud for Cohen.  I and my group who were sitting right behind Cohen, were yelling for Sampras, and I think we were the only ones.  I think it went for 5 sets and Pete finally won and he shook his fist at our group.....so I know that the Brits know how to support their own, but then this was the year Fed began his run when he knocked Pete out of Wimby.

And yes, if Fed had any class, he would have mentioned that as much as he appreciated the fans supporting him, he didn't like the booing for Andy.....but then as I said earlier, it's all about him.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1258 on: November 12, 2012, 09:28 PM »

Yeah I'll remember and heckle and boo Bradley Wiggins in his next cycling race...I dont support him....It'll be fun
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: WTF SF: Murray vs Federer « Reply #1259 on: November 12, 2012, 09:34 PM »

I've turned the tennis off for a while. Boris is getting up my nose and even Petch is grating a bit just now. It will go back on when I'm in bed.

People who think what happened last night was just sport are delusional. Andy has to think like that to keep his approach to playing Federer again clear in his mind. I, on the other hand, do not. Andy was booed last night because he had the bare-faced audacity to deny Federer his gold medal. Fed's fans didn't like way Andy pasted him on Centre Court, or in Shanghai, so they had to do something.

It was nothing to do with Andy being a Scot, or the entire audience having a burning desire to kiss Federer's backside. It was because Federer was playing someone capable of beating him, who had the momentum in their H2H, and who is on the way up whilst their 'man' will soon be on the way out. In other words, it was all because the opponent was Andy Murray.

Listen to the crowd tonight. Totally different. Last night was personal. Tonight is not, even if Novak and Smugscum are not best mates.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »