Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  British Juniors. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Reply
Author

British Juniors.

(Read 7307 times)
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: British Juniors. « Reply #75 on: April 08, 2012, 06:52 PM »

Here's the thread on the juniors which was being looked for...
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: British Juniors. « Reply #76 on: April 08, 2012, 07:43 PM »

Very interesting... taking my time reading through it.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: British Juniors. « Reply #77 on: April 08, 2012, 08:35 PM »

Think just about every junior mentioned on this thread is now too old to be playing in the juniors and is either on the professional tour or now going through the uni/college system either in the UK or the US.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: British Juniors. « Reply #78 on: April 08, 2012, 11:15 PM »

Go and watch them!!!

Liam Broady and Bambridge are ace in my opinion. The others are good too. You'll may be able to boast about in ten years time.
These two would have been 12 at this time. Amazing that people know who they were back then!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: British Juniors. « Reply #79 on: April 16, 2012, 10:21 AM »

I was wondering why Baghdatis isn't playing MC and found this:

Marcos has been training hard in Cyprus with coach, Miles Maclagan, as they prepare for the upcoming European clay-court season. Along with a British junior player, Marcos and Miles have been training on the clay courts at Aphrodite Hills.

Marcos is set to play his first tournament in Bucharest.

Cyprus in April with a top 40 player - sounds OK!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: British Juniors. « Reply #80 on: June 03, 2012, 09:34 PM »

Just an update on the Juniors as action begun today at Roland Garros:

Liam Broady (3) continues to struggle in the Singles and has fallen to 3rd in the rankings (although has played in a few senior tournaments lately). Went out in the 1st round despite being top seed in the warm-up tournament.

Jordan Ward-Hibbert (10), who has won a few doubles tournaments with Liam, has shot up from 60 in the Juniors to 10th, and was seeded in RG (however lost in the 1st round unfortunately.. clay not his strong point I don't think).

Kyle Edmund (37) has been playing Seniors lately and made the QFs of a Futures a couple of weeks back. His Juniors ranking has slipped to 37 but his Senior ranking is one of the highest of his generation (1995).

Luke Bambridge (32) has climbed this year, but like Edmund has been playing in a few senior tournaments and reached the Semi-Finals of his first pro-tournament last month. He is, I believe (Allan correct me if I'm wrong?) the highest ranked player of his generation (1995) in the seniors following that run.

Even Hoyt (95) has broken into the top 100 of the Juniors. He was part of the team (along with Edmund and Bambridge) that won the U16s tournament last year.

Scott Clayton (105) also broke the top 100, before playing a few senior tournaments, winning his first ranking point along the way.

Jonny O'Mara (127) continues to progress up the junior rankings. Don't know much about him, other than Allan rates him highly!

Peter Ashley (152) is only 15, one to look out for.

- - - - - - -

@Roland Garros:

Ward-Hibbert (10) lost 2&3 to a french guy called Quentin Halys.

Edmund however beat the 16th seed Daniel Masur 3&6 to progress. He'll beat a French WC Tchoutakien in R2.

Bambridge beat very highly rated 15yo Borna Coric (ranked 12 places above him) in three sets, 7-5, 2-6, 6-4. He'll face top seed Luke Saville in the 2nd round.

Broady (3) hasn't played yet.

Also, one big talent is 16yo Italian player Gianluigi Quinzi who has climbed to 2nd in the Junior rankings despite being two years junior to most of the top guys. One to watch out for over the next couple of years.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: British Juniors. « Reply #81 on: June 04, 2012, 06:34 AM »

Good results for Kyle and Luke Smile But junior girls- where are they Frown
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: British Juniors. « Reply #82 on: June 04, 2012, 03:02 PM »

Both Edmund and Broady have won their singles today. Bambridge, unfortunately, was bagelled in the 1st set and dropped serve at the start of the 2nd..

O'Mara hasn't made the progress I thought he could have lately though all the junior tourneys he's played this year have been on clay. I think we'll see the results start on the grass and hard courts.

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: British Juniors. « Reply #83 on: June 04, 2012, 07:56 PM »

Hopefully.

Ward-Hibbert was knocking up with Nadal today as well. Him and Liam go for an assault on the Doubles tomorrow, having won the Doubles in Australian and making quite a partnership.

The interview was Liam was quite interesting. He seems very relaxed and confident, didn't seem to be nervous at all with having a big ITV microphone in his face. He says he's been working hard on his fitness over the last month and hopes to continue to do so, in order to help make the step up to the Seniors.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: British Juniors. « Reply #84 on: June 04, 2012, 08:34 PM »

Mh I thought it was interesting too MH. I wonder if Liam's grown a bit now?
Did not realise Jordan was mixed race. My goodness me, does that mean the LTA has lifted its gaze away from the Home Counties?
About time if it has.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: British Juniors. « Reply #85 on: June 05, 2012, 04:38 PM »

Broady comfortably into the 3rd round with a 3&3 win over Cagnina. Edmund didn't play today, so both will play their 3rd round tomorrow. Saville and Pavlasek both already into the Quarters.

Now, two youngsters to look out for. 16yo Quinzi and 16yo Rubin. Incidentally, these are Liam and Kyle's next opponents! Quinzi is seeded 2nd. Two players with a lot of potential.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter June 06, 2012, 03:21 PM ] IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: British Juniors. « Reply #86 on: June 06, 2012, 12:31 PM »

Edmund beat Quinzi in 3 set! yay
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: British Juniors. « Reply #87 on: June 06, 2012, 03:20 PM »

Great result for Kyle but Liam lost to the 16yo American 2&3. Frown

Juniors QFs:

(1) Saville vs Pavlasek (11)
Rubin vs Peliwo (5)
(8) Krueger vs De Vroome
(6) Coppejans vs Edmund

Meanwhile in the Doubles Broady and Ward-Hibbert are top seeds. They face Kyle and his Israeli partner Botzer in R2, which has just started actually.

Unfortunately Bambridge (who was seeded 8 with his partner Uchida) lost 8-10 in the super tie-break.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter June 06, 2012, 03:29 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: British Juniors. « Reply #88 on: June 08, 2012, 02:33 PM »

Edmund lost 4&3 yesterday whilst Broady/WH lost in a STB in their QF match, so all British interest ended unfortunately.

Krueger, Peliwo and Pavlasek all won their matches.

Peliwo then beat Pavlasek (2-6, 7-6, 6-0) today and Coppejans is currently serving for the match at 6-3, 5-4, so looks like it will be a Peliwo/Coppejans final.

Peliwo incidentally reached his first Challenger semi-final about a month or so back (worth 29 ranking points) which is quite a huge achievement (Baker in comparison has only reached the one CH semi (in Bath) all year, and I don't think Ward has reached a single one). Another one to watch out for. Canada have some great talent coming through what with Raonic, Pospisil and Polansky (although he is a couple of years older).
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »