Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  British men's rankings 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 Go Down Reply
Author

British men's rankings

(Read 22997 times)
Philip
Seed

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #240 on: October 13, 2009, 12:02 PM »

Ah thanks Allan.  I also came to a similar thought as I watched my wife's cooking just now.

(now that I am on the lucky 777 posts I will need to go buy a lottery ticket so I am afraid I won't be able to post for a while here Smile.  Wish me luck!)
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #241 on: August 09, 2010, 02:34 PM »

1 British male inside the top 200 - 5 inside the top 300.
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #242 on: August 09, 2010, 03:22 PM »

Pitiful as always haha.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #243 on: October 11, 2011, 08:15 PM »

I think it's great that we have two men's doubles teams in the top 25.  I'd love to see Hutchins and Fleming at the O2.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #244 on: October 11, 2011, 09:22 PM »

They need to be in the top 8 doubles teams to be there and for that they need to be playing and winning round in the 500 and masters events.

Hasn't help that Hutchins missed the clay season with a wrist injury though.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #245 on: August 13, 2012, 04:46 PM »

This hasn't been updated in a while, and was posting this on the Other British Men thread but realised it probably belonged here.

Top ranked Brits after Murray:

196 Goodall (CH) (26)
217 Baker (26)
256 James Ward (injured) (25)
320 Bodganovic (28)
365 Smethurst (21)
383 Bloomfield (29)
389 Evans (will rise 70 odd places next week after winning a Futures on Saturday) (22)
401 Alex Ward (had surgery) (22)

On the youngsters:

Olly's (#508)  also struggled since breaking the top 500 as well. Lost to a 16yo (well, was winning then lost 10 games in a row and retired) as top seed and has had a few heavy defeats since to similar ranked players. Juan Monaco (exhibition) shows the talent is there.

George Morgan (#662) has made steady progress on his first year on tour.

Kyle Edmund (#900) is looking good, reaching another futures QF last week. Will rise 40-50 places next week. His win over Gimeno-Traver in Wimbledon Qualies is a reason for high hopes for this kid.

Broady (#1018) has just gone horribly downhill since Wimbledon juniors last year. Fallen from 650 to outside the top 1000, struggling for form both on tour and in the juniors (where he's fallen well down the rankings).

Bambridge (#1084) hasn't won a single point since reaching the SFs a couple of months back, although has mostly been playing juniors.

Ward-Hibbert (#1390)  has made his first steps onto the tour and picked up his 3rd ranking points last week.

Also a shout out to Dan Evans who won a Futures event last week (beating Dan Cox in the final). Both have had injury problems this year. Evans should (by my calculations) rise back up to the 320's next week, having fallen outside the top 400 since the Davis Cup (due to injury problems).
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #246 on: August 14, 2012, 07:34 AM »

Thanx 4 doing that TMH but how depressed am I now feeling 
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #247 on: August 14, 2012, 07:56 AM »

Wow. It just goes to show that winning big junior tournaments at the age of 17 is no guarantee of success in the big tour in later years. To soon to write off these kids yet of course but none of them look like being an Andy Murray at this stage. Jeez it could be another 70 years before we see a Brit as good as Andy again.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #248 on: August 14, 2012, 10:32 AM »

Thanks tmh but as bbh says it's not terribly encouraging.  It would be nice to think that Andy's triumph might spur them on to greater things.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #249 on: August 14, 2012, 12:39 PM »

There are high hopes for Olly Golding (18) and Kyle Edmund (17) who have already recorded wins over two different players ranked #102 in professional tournaments.

As for the others. Well. Ward, Goodall and Baker are good players but on the whole too inconsistent. Jamie's been out-of-form since Wimbledon, where he was really making big steps. James is now injured after looking really good at Wimbledon. Goodall has been winning all the Futures he's competed in but can't win a match for his life at Challenger level.

I think we're better off than first glance. Ward is injured, the other Ward has missed a huge chunk of the season and Dan Evans, after some impressive results then got injured as well.

So in the near future it looks like nothing will change, but over the next year or so definitely keep an eye on Evans, Golding and Edmund. Golding is the first Brit since Tim Henman to break the top 500 at 18.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #250 on: August 14, 2012, 12:47 PM »

So in the near future it looks like nothing will change, but over the next year or so definitely keep an eye on Evans, Golding and Edmund. Golding is the first Brit since Tim Henman to break the top 500 at 18.

What about Andy?  According to his rankings record, he made the top 500 in August 2004 when he was 17.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #251 on: August 14, 2012, 12:51 PM »

What about Andy?  According to his rankings record, he made the top 500 in August 2004 when he was 17.
Yes you're right, was excluding him for some reason. However the point there still stands - Golding's achieved more than the rest on his first year on tour.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #252 on: August 15, 2012, 02:56 PM »

Evans wasn't injured, he got mumps and was actually in hopsital because of it.

Broady has tweeted in the last day or two that he has mumps

Since Dan Cox returned from 4 months out injured he's played 5 Futures events losing to the eventual champion each time (in 3 of them he took a set off of the eventual champion) and also a challenger event where he come through qualifying.

After a poor year Alex Bogdanovic recently won 17 out of 19 matches in a 5 weeks including 2 Futures titles and a Challenger semi-final.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #253 on: August 15, 2012, 07:39 PM »

TMH, agree re Golding. Does look a good prospect. yay
But Ward and co? They are old men...in tennis terms of course Whistle
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #254 on: August 15, 2012, 08:00 PM »

To be fair in this day and age, many players are finding their best form in their late 20's. Take Ferrer, Tipsarevic, Monaco, Kohlschreiber, Fish, Mayer, Benneteau, Bogomolov, Matosevic, Dancevic...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »