Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  British men's rankings 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] Go Down Reply
Author

British men's rankings

(Read 22015 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #255 on: August 15, 2012, 10:32 PM »

^ Yes, but these guys were all top 100 b4 they hit their late -twenties, weren't they? Haven't checked them all but  I rest my case.
Isner is about the only one I can think of, who started late and has made it.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #256 on: August 15, 2012, 10:45 PM »

Not at all.

Bogomolov broke into the top 100 for the first time at 28, rising as high as 33 before falling back to 60 odd this year.

Matosevic has been floating between 140-200 in recent years but has risen from #203 at the start of the year to #63 as of right now. Just turned 27.

Go Soeda broke the top 100 for the first time this year at the age of 27, going as high as #47 a month ago.

Flavio Cipolla broke the top 100 last year aged 27. Kubot was also 27 when he broke the top 100 in 2009. Jaziri at 28 in March.

None of the Brits are going to be world beaters. Sure, maybe none of them will ever get beyond the top 200. But there's plenty of examples of players hitting their career-highs in their late 20's (27 seems to be the most common age). With players going longer and longer these days (look at Tommy Haas, now 33, as well as Ramirez Hidalgo (34) and Phau (32), all finding a recent upturn in form and going strong) and peaking later and later, there's still plenty of time for Ward, Baker and co. to go higher yet. Just a bit premature to rule them out at 25/26, all I'm saying.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #257 on: August 16, 2012, 07:38 AM »

TMH: I take your point. Suppose I should not xpect our other players to perform anything like Andy.....sigh.
I think the top 100 is quite "old", in tennis terms, anyway, isn't it? Only a few teenagers eg Dimitrov, Tomic, Raonic made it.
Think that must be down to the physicality of the game these days. Young men have to get tough, think Rafa forced a change. Remember Andy having to get so fit and muscular.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #258 on: August 16, 2012, 12:43 PM »

It's a shame but let's be realistic - there are only three players in the world able to perform anything like Andy! I get your point though.

Obviously it'd be great if we had a few other top 30 players (or even top 50 players), and who knows, maybe in a few years Golding and Edmund will top 100.

It's an interesting point. I'd like to see an average age of the top 100, although obviously it does change every week. In the past the likes of Murray, Djokovic, Nadal, Cilic, Tsonga, DelPo, etc have kept it down. But now those guys are mid-twenties (DelPo and Cilic 23) there seems to be very few players to take their place (youngsters in the top 100).

Just checking the rankings, Tomic, Harrison, Goffin, Stebe, Dimitrov, Nishikori and Raonic are all within a couple of years of 20. Dolgopolov, DelPo, Cilic, Paire, Bedene, Young (although he'll fall outside after the USO) and Klizan are early 20's. Janowicz (21) and Berankis (22) have recently broken the top 100.

But the rest are all mid-late 20's, or early 30's (Federer, Ferrer, Youzhny, Nalbandian, Haas, Ramirez Hidalgo, Phau, etc). I'd imagine the average is around 26 or 27.

Ye I imagine so. Players are getting fitter and lasting longer. Younger players are finding it harder to breakthrough. 21-24 seems to be the age most of the talented youngsters finally break the top 100. Harrison, Tomic and Dimitrov are obvious exceptions.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #259 on: September 17, 2012, 04:20 PM »

As of today GB have 18 men in the top 600. This is the first time this as happened since September 2006.

We also currently have a further 16 in the top 1000.

Though only Andy, our grand slam champion, is in the top 200.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #260 on: September 17, 2012, 04:21 PM »

Oh lol, miss-read that as 16 in top 100. Rolling Eyes
How I wish pray
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #261 on: September 17, 2012, 04:26 PM »

Oh lol, miss-read that as 16 in top 100. Rolling Eyes
How I wish pray
I think everyone interested in british tennis wishes that was the case. lol
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #262 on: August 10, 2013, 05:19 PM »

Since Murray took British tennis to a new pinnacle at Wimbledon, several of the lower ranked players have suddenly found some of their best form and are setting new career-high's weekly.

James Ward won his first Challenger since 2011. He is now back in the top 200 and has almost nothing to defend in the last 3 months of the season.

Dan Evans, having returned to the brink of his CH after making R3 at Queens, has made the final of a $100k challenger (edged out 7-5 in the 3rd having had CPs) and then followed that up with the SF (and still playing) of another $100k challenger - he has now broken the top 200 for the first time and is right behind James in the fight for British #2.

Kyle Edmund has won a $15k Futures (the biggest title of his career) and will now set a new CH around #350 in the world - still only 18.

Dan Cox, after an injury hit 2012, won 14 matches in a row to claim two $15k titles and make the final of the third. Will return to the 330s and is in great form/

David Rice has broken the top 400 for the first time, having been outside the top 600 at the start of the year.

Alex Ward has been playing Challengers and put in a few very good performances - set a new CH in the 330s.

Hewitt, Farquharson and Willis have all set new CHs in the top 500 for the first time.

Oli Golding has made two $10k futures finals as he looks to get his career back on track. Will return to the top 500 and seems to be finding a bit of form.

Liam Broady, once one of the world's biggest prospect at 16, has recently started showing a bit of that promise again. Has made two $10k QFs recently (and one SF, I believe). Still far from the ability he showed in 2011 though.

Josh Ward-Hibbert continues to make strides.

Jonny O'Mara has made his first $10k SF and is now on the brink of the top 1000 (still playing Juniors and only recently started playing on the main tour).
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter August 10, 2013, 05:28 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #263 on: August 10, 2013, 05:25 PM »

Thanx again TMH Smile
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #264 on: August 10, 2013, 05:25 PM »

In summary, on Monday-week there will be 19 British players in the top 500 and 22 in the top 600. There are 35 players in the top 1000 - with Martin and O'Mara just outside.

There are now 3 British players in the top 200 and 11 in the top 400.

Compare all this to Allan's figures from almost a year ago - there is definite progress, with Edmund, Farquharson, Willis and Hewitt all more than halving their rankings since then.

This page gives a good oversight: http://www.britishtennis.net/gbtop25m/current.htm

A year ago the top 25 stretched down nearly 800 - now it's at #678.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #265 on: August 10, 2013, 05:30 PM »

Hmm re Brydan
But look at Dan, James and Edward GO! yay
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #266 on: August 10, 2013, 07:05 PM »

In summary, on Monday-week there will be 19 British players in the top 500 and 22 in the top 600. There are 35 players in the top 1000 - with Martin and O'Mara just outside.

There are now 3 British players in the top 200 and 11 in the top 400.

Compare all this to Allan's figures from almost a year ago - there is definite progress, with Edmund, Farquharson, Willis and Hewitt all more than halving their rankings since then.

This page gives a good oversight: http://www.britishtennis.net/gbtop25m/current.htm

A year ago the top 25 stretched down nearly 800 - now it's at #678.
all very encouraging tmh - would be good to think Andy has helped to inspire it with the example he sets.
IP Logged
Tonedial
Challenger Level

WORTH THE WAIT

Re: British men's rankings « Reply #267 on: August 10, 2013, 10:07 PM »

http://www.flashscores.co.uk/draw/hITCdnNB/IkC9z48L/#draw
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »