Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Daniel Evans 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 81 Go Down Reply
Author

Daniel Evans

(Read 33772 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #345 on: August 24, 2013, 02:48 PM »

I think I read somewhere that he doesn't like travelling overseas  tmh; I guess he now realises that to be a serious professional tennis player you have to travel all the time. And perhaps finally he is serious about being a professional tennis player.  If he keeps it up, it will be really interesting to see how far his talent can take him.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #346 on: August 24, 2013, 02:50 PM »

It's been exciting following Dan's progress over the last few weeks - some of it with dodgy technology while on holiday, and this week relying on livescores and tweets. Hope to be able to watch his match v Nishikori properly.

I'm so impressed with Dan, but also with Leon Smith - who bravely went with Dan for DC having originally chosen Jamie Baker, and has clearly guided him through the period following - getting him away from home to London for serious training and out of the UK for more challenging tournaments and the tour experience. Nice that Colin and Jamie M were there to support yesterday as well.

Some comments on twitter from Liz who was there: we did a good job - the crowd were very fair but mostly for the Spaniard. I'm really pleased 4 Leon too, he was gutted 4 wardy. Leon was sad for Bally too but the guys are his team. Gave Evo a huge DC hug after. Dan's smile was huge  yes he (Leon) finds just the right words at the right time (and knows when to keep quiet too)

Comments from Dan: "I'm pretty proud of my efforts, not just here but I've been [in North America] now nearly six weeks, so to lose first round then final, final and to qualify is pretty good," he said.

"I'd never been in the last round of qualifying before but I knew I was better than the guy - it was just getting it out there. I should have really won the first set but I'm pretty happy with how I came back and in the end it was pretty straightforward.

"It was always in me but it was just putting it all together and I'm pretty proud of that. I need to just carry on and hopefully I'll get a decent draw in the main draw and try to win a few matches."

More at http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23818601

and Dan Evans ‏@Evo151216 13h  "Good day but not that pumped for this ice bath"!
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #347 on: August 24, 2013, 02:57 PM »

I think I read somewhere that he doesn't like travelling overseas  tmh; I guess he now realises that to be a serious professional tennis player you have to travel all the time. And perhaps finally he is serious about being a professional tennis player.  If he keeps it up, it will be really interesting to see how far his talent can take him.

If he can start to make some headway in ATP main tour tournaments, and earn a bit more then he might be able to afford better travelling and accommodation. It will be easier if he doesn't need to rough it so much.  There would be a certain delicious irony if like Djokovic,  Evan's Davies Cup moment leads to good things for him. Having a couple of matches on decent courts because of the bad weather might also have been a very positive experience for him. Also if he starts to really put the effort in I imagine Murray will take even more of an interest and offer additional support.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #348 on: August 24, 2013, 10:07 PM »

Nice article about the subject we were just discussing. Smile

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/sports/dad_raged_at_desperate_dan
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #349 on: August 24, 2013, 10:33 PM »

Nice article about the subject we were just discussing. Smile

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/sports/dad_raged_at_desperate_dan

That is a nice article. Thanks MH.

"I don't know if I was ready.... I had to go through messing up. People have different routes.."

IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #350 on: August 26, 2013, 05:31 PM »

2 sets to love against Kei.  Wow - Dan's making his move!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #351 on: August 26, 2013, 05:32 PM »

Wow!
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #352 on: August 26, 2013, 05:36 PM »

I am watching it. The lad is doing so well. He's got a chance of pulling this off, if he keeps his head, and doesn't panic. In this instance the lad needs to focus on the ranking points and filthy lucre, that will come with victory here. I don't think Nishikori is firing on all his cylinders mind you, but this is impressive from Mr E.
IP Logged
33jsmith
Junior

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #353 on: August 26, 2013, 05:40 PM »

Come on Dan !! playing great!!!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #354 on: August 26, 2013, 05:43 PM »

On SS1 now that Robson's match has finished. Saves a couple of break points to hold at the start of the 3rd.

Dan was actually a break down in both sets - won 4 games in a row from 2-4 in the 1st.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #355 on: August 26, 2013, 05:44 PM »

\\don't think I've ever seen him play this well! And now up the break in the 3rd
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #356 on: August 26, 2013, 05:45 PM »

Just broken to love and now leads 6-4, 6-4, 2-0. This is quite something.

I do fear that if Nishikori starts to turn it around Evans might start to fall apart. I sincerely hope not (obviously).
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #357 on: August 26, 2013, 05:46 PM »

\\don't think I've ever seen him play this well! And now up the break in the 3rd
Similarly emphatic performance to that against Donskoy at the DC - but this time it's on foreign ground on the big stage against a much better opponent!

6-4, 6-4, 3-0.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #358 on: August 26, 2013, 05:46 PM »

Am I right in thinking if Dan wins this match it will be his best Slam performance to date?
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #359 on: August 26, 2013, 05:48 PM »

Just held his serve and now 3:0 in the third. No sign of cracking yet. He needs a double break, to  allow for a wobble if he gets to serve it out. Nishikori's got a bit if a WTF is happening look.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 81 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »