Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Daniel Evans 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 ... 81 Go Down Reply
Author

Daniel Evans

(Read 31547 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #720 on: September 01, 2013, 02:48 AM »

More talented player lost.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #721 on: September 01, 2013, 02:50 AM »

Good thing is we still have Andy in Smile
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #722 on: September 01, 2013, 02:50 AM »

Justice is not done. But Dan will have to do the same as Andy many times, learn and move on. 
58 UFE from Dan.

He's had a good run anyway. Bless him.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #723 on: September 01, 2013, 03:02 AM »

Losing the match might seem painful now, hopefully he will talk to Andy over the next few days and be reminded that he can learn just as much from losing as he can winning.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #724 on: September 01, 2013, 03:04 AM »

I'm not sure Andy should want him to improve too much, he might become competition : p
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #725 on: September 01, 2013, 03:10 AM »

I don't know, it's been nice having another Brit to cheer at this stage of a slam, I think Andy would like the competition actually.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #726 on: September 01, 2013, 07:28 AM »

I didn't watch the match.  Can someone tell me what Robredo did?  I've always rather liked the guy so disappointing to read that he's been indulging in some form of gamesmanship.  Heard Russell Fuller on radio saying Dan is already seeing this week as a big bonus so sounds like he'll take the positives from it.  His next goal is to qualify automatically for AO.
I think it will be really good for Andy to have another Brit qualifying on the main tour and he certainly seems to be doing what he can to encourage Dan.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #727 on: September 01, 2013, 08:46 AM »

I didn't watch the match.  Can someone tell me what Robredo did?  I've always rather liked the guy so disappointing to read that he's been indulging in some form of gamesmanship.  Heard Russell Fuller on radio saying Dan is already seeing this week as a big bonus so sounds like he'll take the positives from it.  His next goal is to qualify automatically for AO.
I think it will be really good for Andy to have another Brit qualifying on the main tour and he certainly seems to be doing what he can to encourage Dan.
Hi Ruthie,  I think Mad Hatter is refering to Robredos leg cramps, making like a lame duck, only later to show little effect from it.

I personally think Robredo over did the jubilation just a bit when he won (understandably was very relieved to get through this match) but he didnt seem to give much credit to Dan, the young Qually who played the match of his life.
But I'm not objective. Felt so sorry for Dan who simply lost because of his inexperience.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #728 on: September 01, 2013, 08:53 AM »

I have to admit I went to bed after the second, convinced Robredo was winning in three. I'm chuffed Dan took the third and continued to fight.

Last night Dan came up against a vastly more experienced player who knew what he was doing, but even before I stopped watching Dan played some fantastic tennis. He definitely showed more than enough to show his real class. Even though he lost last night he should be proud of himself,  I hope he is. I mean, he qualified to get there and then really justified his place in the draw. I really hope this is his springboard for much more. He's very talented.

Cheering Dan on this week has been great. I find it a bit different to supporting Andy, in a sense it's more nerve-wracking, because Andy has a lot of experience he can use. On the other hand, I feel more emotionally attached to Andy. Either way, it's been fun supporting both of them.

What did Robredo do? I don't like to see players use gamesmanship. I know they all want to win, but there is a right way to behave when you do it.

I think having another British man around will be good for Andy, assuming Dan can keep going - I think he can. Having Laura on the women's side in the slams has been goid for Andy in the sense that he can share the attention a bit. Having another man around would do that, but it would also be company. I've enjoyed hearing about Andy supporting Dan this week, as well as advising him about certain opponents.

It would be great if Dan could get into the AO. I hope he does.

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #729 on: September 01, 2013, 10:17 AM »

Dan did very well to make the match as close as it was. The tennis he's played this week has shown that he belongs at the ATP level and I hope he continues working hard so that he can play on the ATP tour every week.

I only saw a little bit of the fourth set. It's a pity that Dan couldn't take it into a fifth set. After he failed to serve it out it felt like the momentum had shifted to Robredo - you could see his renewed belief. But as he gains more experience, he'll be able to better handle situations like that.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #730 on: September 01, 2013, 10:30 AM »

Hi Ruthie,  I think Mad Hatter is refering to Robredos leg cramps, making like a lame duck, only later to show little effect from it.

I personally think Robredo over did the jubilation just a bit when he won (understandably was very relieved to get through this match) but he didnt seem to give much credit to Dan, the young Qually who played the match of his life.
But I'm not objective. Felt so sorry for Dan who simply lost because of his inexperience.
thanks Lashurst.   Well I suppose it's possible that he really was cramping and the trainers sorted it out for him but as I didn't see can't really judge on whether fair to call it gamesmanship.  Wasn't his jubilation a compliment to Dan in itself?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #731 on: September 01, 2013, 01:06 PM »

It was your typical 'oh I'm losing I need to find something to throw him off his game' antics. Robredo was clearly very tired and Dan was all over him, so Robredo starts faffing around asking for an MTO. Doesn't get one, plays on (clearly fine), then next change of ends claims it's actually another area he's injured in. Just constantly faffing around and playing hurt. Then funnily enough when he broke back he was suddenly fit as a fiddle and celebrated like he'd won the bloody tournament. So unnecessary and it's sad that he had to drop to that level to overcome a qualifier.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #732 on: September 01, 2013, 01:08 PM »

It was your typical 'oh I'm losing I need to find something to throw him off his game' antics. Robredo was clearly very tired and Dan was all over him, so Robredo starts faffing around asking for an MTO. Doesn't get one, plays on (clearly fine), then next change of ends claims it's actually another area he's injured in. Just constantly faffing around and playing hurt. Then funnily enough when he broke back he was suddenly fit as a fiddle and celebrated like he'd won the bloody tournament. So unnecessary and it's sad that he had to drop to that level to overcome a qualifier.
I didn't see. but if that's the case - shame on Robredo.  I'm pretty sure Dan will take so much away from this, and he'll be back a lot more experienced and wiser. 
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #733 on: September 01, 2013, 01:50 PM »

What was all that stuff with the balls as well? He kept going to the umpire to get them changed. Also, from Neil Harman: "Robredo stalls after time is called. How about a time violation? Have we forgotten those?"

Such a pity that Dan faltered at the end of the 4th. He'd served out the 3rd brilliantly, ending with an ace I think. Won 5 out of 6 matches in 10 days though - brilliant effort.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #734 on: September 01, 2013, 01:56 PM »

What was all that stuff with the balls as well? He kept going to the umpire to get them changed. Also, from Neil Harman: "Robredo stalls after time is called. How about a time violation? Have we forgotten those?"

Such a pity that Dan faltered at the end of the 4th. He'd served out the 3rd brilliantly, ending with an ace I think. Won 5 out of 6 matches in 10 days though - brilliant effort.

The men and women use different balls at the US Open (the women's being a faster one), TR obviously picked up a few of the women's balls from the ball boys (US Open sign is red on women's, black on men's) and handed it to the umpire.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 ... 81 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »