Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Daniel Evans 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 81 Go Down Reply
Author

Daniel Evans

(Read 30379 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #210 on: February 13, 2012, 02:24 AM »

He really has improved so much, great to see. Smile The commentators were being so negative about him in the third and fourth sets so I'm glad he proved them wrong!
I must admit I'd given up on him in those two sets, but was delighted to be proved wrong.  The 5th set was a real nail-biter though!

I thought this article in The Guardian stated it all very nicely and it deserves to be on this thread -

Superb Dan Evans leads Great Britain to thrilling Davis Cup win

Dan Evans produced one of the most extraordinary performances in Great Britain's recent Davis Cup history to beat Martin Klizan 6-1, 6-1, 4-6, 3-6, 6-3 and give Leon Smith's side a 3-2 victory over Slovakia at Glasgow's Braehead Arena.

The visitors were favourites going into the tie but Evans, ranked 276th in the world, got Britain off to a superb start by beating Lukas Lacko on Friday and looked set to seal the win in style when he raced through the first two sets.

But Klizan, the world No120, turned things completely on their head in sets three and four before Evans somehow found a way back in the decider, clinching victory after two hours and 53 minutes before being held aloft by a delighted British team.

Britain's hopes rested on the Birmingham player after James Ward's straight-sets defeat by Lacko earlier in the day, which had left the Europe/Africa Zone Group I tie level at 2-2.

The victory, Smith's fifth in a row since taking over the captaincy from John Lloyd two years ago, means Britain will play Belgium at Braehead in April for a place in the World Group play-offs.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #211 on: February 13, 2012, 06:31 AM »

Congratulations to Leon, the team and especially Dan- udaman
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #212 on: February 13, 2012, 09:40 AM »

Got a tweet from Dan. I told him to cut out the bacon sarnies:

@audiolympics Love a bacon sarnie! Might even chase after Miss Piggy now i know she is in the country! #muppetmeal
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #213 on: February 14, 2012, 02:45 AM »

Love these pics -

Also liked the comment from Mike Dickson of the Mail when he quipped that "the 21 year old from Birmingham achieved the rare feat of sending a Scottish crowd wild with delight at the sight of an Englishman's victory".  Now that's something else Dan can be very proud of! Very Happy

IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #214 on: February 14, 2012, 06:49 AM »

Lovely pics Aileen and grand quote! Thanx Smile
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #215 on: February 14, 2012, 10:15 PM »

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/12/02/13/TENNIS_Davis_Cup_Evans.html&BID=553

Evans lost only two games in a stunning opening two sets against Klizan but the Slovakian fought back to level and was the favourite going into the fifth set only for his opponent to come through 6-1 6-1 4-6 3-6 6-3.

Mecir said: "If he continues playing like this I think he has a big chance to get into the top 100."

Mecir, an Olympic gold medallist in 1988, was frustrated to lose such a close match but praised Evans and the whole of Leon Smith's side, saying: "All credit to him (Evans), all credit to the British team.

"I think they put in a very good performance in the doubles and two of Evans' matches, it was excellent tennis and I think we have seen a great three days of tennis. It was a pity we came out as the losers but it was very close.

"I was hoping when Martin found the recipe and came from two sets down that he could manage it but Evans in a difficult position showed guts and skills that he can play some very good shots, and not only for one or two sets but through the whole match. I was surprised."
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #216 on: February 15, 2012, 02:08 AM »

^^  Praise indeed from Mecir, and all credit to him for being so sporting in the circumstances.  I'm pretty sure from what I read that Slovakia thought they were going to walk this tie, so no wonder he's disappointed.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #217 on: February 16, 2012, 09:54 PM »

http://www.thetennisspace.com/off-court/dan-evans-other-players-were-telling-stories-about-me/
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #218 on: February 16, 2012, 11:09 PM »

Thanks Allan for the tale.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #219 on: February 16, 2012, 11:35 PM »

Thanks.  I even posted a comment - something I rarely do!

"I’ve got a ranking target for the year, but it’s not for sharing. It’s between me and my coach.”   Very wise keeping that to themselves.

By the way - does anyone know who Evans' coach is.  Have searched but can't find anything.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 17, 2012, 02:10 AM ] IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #220 on: February 17, 2012, 05:58 PM »

By the way - does anyone know who Evans' coach is.  Have searched but can't find anything.
Says on his ATP profile that his coaches are Leighton Alfred and Mark Taylor. ITF profile says Mark Taylor. I think he also works with Julien Hoferlin as well.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #221 on: February 17, 2012, 07:13 PM »

Says on his ATP profile that his coaches are Leighton Alfred and Mark Taylor. ITF profile says Mark Taylor. I think he also works with Julien Hoferlin as well.
That could be interesting as I see that Hoferlin is the captain of the Belgium DC team.  Don't suppose he'd give Dan any tips though for the next tie, if he's selected!
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #222 on: February 17, 2012, 07:34 PM »

He's not been the captain for a few years now. It's currently Johan Van Herck.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #223 on: February 17, 2012, 07:34 PM »

I believe he's been working exclusively with Hoferlin since December.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #224 on: February 17, 2012, 07:54 PM »

He's not been the captain for a few years now. It's currently Johan Van Herck.
]Thanks.  Obviously the info I was looking at hadn't been updated!

I believe he's been working exclusively with Hoferlin since December.
Having looked at some of Hoferlin's training videos, I can see why Dan has improved so much recently.  Also it seems Hoferlin has been working with the other Brits as well at the NTC.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 81 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »