Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Daniel Evans 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 ... 81 Go Down Reply
Author

Daniel Evans

(Read 30922 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #735 on: September 01, 2013, 02:22 PM »

The men and women use different balls at the US Open (the women's being a faster one), TR obviously picked up a few of the women's balls from the ball boys (US Open sign is red on women's, black on men's) and handed it to the umpire.

Interesting - I knew about the different colours, but didn't know there was any other difference. But it seems surprising if there were any of the women's balls on court! And Dan didn't have a problem. It seemed like a distraction/momentum killing plan, but maybe not.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #736 on: September 01, 2013, 02:32 PM »

Interesting - I knew about the different colours, but didn't know there was any other difference. But it seems surprising if there were any of the women's balls on court! And Dan didn't have a problem. It seemed like a distraction/momentum killing plan, but maybe not.

They can sometimes get lodged under the boardings and the ball boys pick them up during change of ends etc.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #737 on: September 01, 2013, 02:33 PM »

Robredo took some balls to the umpire early in the match. The comms suggested they might have been balls from women's matches, but it looked like a lot to me. How can that many balls go missing and then suddenly reappear? It was weird.

Until it was pointed out, I didn't realise the women used a different ball to the men at the USO. I don't recall any explanation as to why they do, unless of course it's another USO quirk.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #738 on: September 01, 2013, 02:34 PM »

Robredo took some balls to the umpire early in the match. The comms suggested they might have been balls from women's matches, but it looked like a lot to me. How can that many balls go missing and then suddenly reappear? It was weird.

Until it was pointed out, I didn't realise the women used a different ball to the men at the USO. I don't recall any explanation as to why they do, unless of course it's another USO quirk.

No reason, its just that women prefer faster balls I assume with most of them being hard hitters it's easier to hit a winner with the added pace of the ball. As I said, it gets stuck under the boardings around the edge of the court and the ball boys mistake them for men's balls and pick them up.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #739 on: September 01, 2013, 03:24 PM »

No reason, its just that women prefer faster balls I assume with most of them being hard hitters it's easier to hit a winner with the added pace of the ball. As I said, it gets stuck under the boardings around the edge of the court and the ball boys mistake them for men's balls and pick them up.

Thanks Gangsta, that's interesting.

I can see how they would go missing, it just seemed like a lot to suddenly reappear like that.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #740 on: September 01, 2013, 03:53 PM »

It was your typical 'oh I'm losing I need to find something to throw him off his game' antics. Robredo was clearly very tired and Dan was all over him, so Robredo starts faffing around asking for an MTO. Doesn't get one, plays on (clearly fine), then next change of ends claims it's actually another area he's injured in. Just constantly faffing around and playing hurt. Then funnily enough when he broke back he was suddenly fit as a fiddle and celebrated like he'd won the bloody tournament. So unnecessary and it's sad that he had to drop to that level to overcome a qualifier.
yes that does sound like gamesmanship and shame on Robredo in that case, particularly when playing against a player who is clearly very inexperienced at this level.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #741 on: September 01, 2013, 04:06 PM »

Gamesmanship or not, that's just Robredo's experience showing, that's something Dan needs to be prepared for and not let himself get wound up about it which he clearly was.

Shame he failed to serve it out at 5-4 in the 4th, Dan probably would have won it if he had, he got booed off at the end because he kind of got angry and stormed off, not that he should care about that, but for future reference this match will be invaluable experience for him.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #742 on: September 01, 2013, 04:18 PM »

Gnome I think that is the thing about Dan. It's all a learning experience for him. I'm sure he's learned a lot this week that will benefit him in the future. I hope so. I'm no expert by any means, but I think he has the potential to be really fantastic. He's no Andy, I'm not saying that, but we've got an Andy. What we need is a very good Dan Evans to keep developing. I hope this week has given him a taste for success.

I think Dan has got one of those personalities to be honest, where he doesn't really care less what anyone thinks. In the nicest possible way he reminds me of a slightly rougher (I was going to say edgier, but that's not what I mean) version of Andy. I think Andy has learned from experience that there are things you don't do or don't say, because it's not worth the hassle. Somehow I get the feeling Dan might hit a few public pitfalls before he gets used to the attention the main tour brings.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #743 on: September 01, 2013, 04:21 PM »

I thought Dan was signing tennis balls on his way out - din't notice storming or booing, but I was following on a mix of stream and radio commentary.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #744 on: October 03, 2013, 05:04 PM »

Dan's playing in the Sacramento Challenger. Beat the 5th seed in round 1 and plays Jarmere Jenkins - once a college hotshot but ranked only 540-ish - this evening for a place in the quarters.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #745 on: October 03, 2013, 08:16 PM »

Top teen on the planet is getting his arse whupped by his even younger compatriot in R2 of the same event. Kokkinakis is making real strides here. Dan is on after this match (Kokkinakis leads Kyrgios 6-2, 5-4).
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #746 on: October 03, 2013, 08:27 PM »

Top teen on the planet is getting his arse whupped by his even younger compatriot in R2 of the same event. Kokkinakis is making real strides here. Dan is on after this match (Kokkinakis leads Kyrgios 6-2, 5-4).

I saw Kokkinakis play doubles at the Hopman Cup on TV. Bloody brilliant player, definitely one to watch.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #747 on: October 03, 2013, 08:33 PM »

I saw Kokkinakis play doubles at the Hopman Cup on TV. Bloody brilliant player, definitely one to watch.

Me too!I really like him-at least from the little bit I know about him!Great that he's doing well.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #748 on: October 03, 2013, 08:52 PM »

These two Aussies are some of the biggest prospects on the tour right now. Along with Pouille, Edmund, Quinzi, Garin and Coric.

Kyrgios has fought back, taking the second set 7-6(6) and is now 4-1 up in the third.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Daniel Evans « Reply #749 on: October 03, 2013, 09:21 PM »

Win for Kyrgios. Evo on now

Sadly this match not on Stadium court, so we don't get the USTA stream and commentary. Sounds very windy

http://www.drakulastream.eu/static/popups/1744691014352670.html
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 ... 81 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »