Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010

(Read 4215 times)
notnek
Futures Level

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #105 on: March 07, 2010, 04:51 PM »

GB lose the tie, relegation playoff against Turkey coming up.

Christ, we could be in Group III before long. doh

Still, I don't want Andy anywhere the DC team until they get back to at least Group I under their own steam. It's utterly pointless for him to artificially improve the standing of an essentially 3rd rate team.
I also don't want Andy to play Davis Cup but I'm not sure what you mean when you say he 'artificially' improves the team.

Andy's British so he like any other Brit can play GB Davis Cup. There are many '1st class' teams that rely on one star player.

Of course, the depth of our team is **** but with Andy and Flemski playing, we're a first class team.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #106 on: March 07, 2010, 04:59 PM »

If Andy and Flemski play then we have a decent chance of getting back to the World Group playoff.  

I agree with Joe that it will be best for British tennis if the team can win rubbers and ties to get back to tier 1 on their own merit before Andy steps in again.  Otherwise they will just yoyo up and down the various divisions (especially when Andy is injured/ill/unavailable to play).

This week's experience will have been good (character building) for Evans.  He was not far from winning either rubber.

I would prefer for Andy to focus on winning a GS first before rejoining the very weak team we have at present.

The big question is :  how do you build confidence, mental toughness, self belief - things which are not directly tennis related but are of paramount importance to maximise one's performance ?

It is good to see Greg's teaching to Ward yielding a win.
[ Last edit by Philip March 07, 2010, 05:03 PM ] IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #107 on: March 07, 2010, 05:02 PM »

I also don't want Andy to play Davis Cup but I'm not sure what you mean when you say he 'artificially' improves the team.

Andy's British so he like any other Brit can play GB Davis Cup. There are many '1st class' teams that rely on one star player.

They rely on one star player to win big matches, but there teams are strong enough that there second fiddle players can actually win matches.

We are at Cyprus's and Latvia's level in terms of balance.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #108 on: March 07, 2010, 05:05 PM »

Of course, the depth of our team is **** but with Andy and Flemski playing, we're a first class team.

Actually, you have a point - I like the doubles pairing and if only there was a half-decent second single player in there, we might stand a chance.

What I mean about artificially improving the team is that, right now, Andy needs to play for us to stand much of a chance against anyone. By him winning his two singles rubbers, while everyone else fails, we are floating around at a level that is the product of us only having one plausible singles player. There needs to another player somewhere in the top 100, otherwise Andy is wasting his time playing in ties that we eventually lose. With him in the team on a DC weekend, once we lose the doubles, it's pretty much over, no matter what he does.

When Andy steps out of the team, we see the more realistic level of British tennis.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #109 on: March 07, 2010, 05:08 PM »

They rely on one star player to win big matches, but there teams are strong enough that there second fiddle players can actually win matches.

We are at Cyprus's and Latvia's level in terms of balance.

Exactly - Switzerland have Federer, but there's also Wawrinka to back him up.
Serbia have Djokovic, with Troicki or Tipsarevic providing support.
We have Murray and then nobody that you'd back outright to win a rubber.
IP Logged
Stell

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #110 on: March 07, 2010, 05:08 PM »

Does anyone know if we have to go away to Turkey or will it be a home one?
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #111 on: March 07, 2010, 05:08 PM »

I think that is decided by some sort of draw soon.
IP Logged
notnek
Futures Level

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #112 on: March 07, 2010, 05:14 PM »

Actually, you have a point - I like the doubles pairing and if only there was a half-decent second single player in there, we might stand a chance.

What I mean about artificially improving the team is that, right now, Andy needs to play for us to stand much of a chance against anyone. By him winning his two singles rubbers, while everyone else fails, we are floating around at a level that is the product of us only having one plausible singles player. There needs to another player somewhere in the top 100, otherwise Andy is wasting his time playing in ties that we eventually lose. With him in the team on a DC weekend, once we lose the doubles, it's pretty much over, no matter what he does.

When Andy steps out of the team, we see the more realistic level of British tennis.
I do kind of agree with you but one could argue that the current GB team is the strongest it's been for many years. We used to rely on only Henman and Rusedski playing both singles and doubles and before that we didn't really have anyone.

I only don't want Andy to play because I care more about Andy winning Grand Slams than GB getting into the World Group. Apart from this, I see no reason why Andy shouldn't play Davis Cup. The quality of GB tennis won't improve just because a few crap Brits get to play Davis Cup. We just need to wait until some decent talent appears.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #113 on: March 07, 2010, 05:18 PM »

The captain's role seems to me to be primarily to motivate and focus and our players are coming out badly against similar players in the last few ties. Defunct captain, sub-standard team. Not sure how things can improve, there's no-one else coming up behind Andy really. Any decent juniors?

Wonder if Henman or Rusedski fancy a crack at the captaincy? Not that it will make much difference I don't suppose.
Lloyd should definitely have gone after Poland fiasco, but quite frankly I can't see anyone at the LTA wanting to take on his job, although Rusedski would be good.  I think Andy mentioned one or two good juniors.  Trouble is they're only aged about 14 or 15.

Pity Jamie Baker got injured - Lloyd might have played him, and he's proved he's got the game and the mental strength to go with it, but ... Also Fleming's a good singles player ...

Pure agony for GB, this!

IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #114 on: March 07, 2010, 05:19 PM »

The great thing about this loss is that there is nowhere for the LTA to hide with such an abysmal result in a 3rd tennis division.  Hopefully, something concrete will be done to find us a second Singles player.  Maybe someone will step up in the near future.  I would say put Greg in.  He will motivate the team with his big smile (Grin) ! He & Tim had always been very enthusiastic playing for GB although Greg was the more vocal player. 

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/CDB3F8B82B254A62A74D74C78CE26F7B.ashx%3Fw%3D148%26h%3D198&imgrefurl=http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Ru/G/Greg-Rusedski.aspx&usg=__am_a5lRWLOwtUsHe8i-c3s0HuxI=&h=198&w=148&sz=6&hl=en&start=137&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=BokPF8aDxfML7M:&tbnh=104&tbnw=78&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgreg%2Brusedski%2Bphoto%26start%3D126%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26ndsp%3D21%26tbs%3Disch:1
[ Last edit by Philip March 07, 2010, 05:36 PM ] IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #115 on: March 07, 2010, 05:45 PM »

What I find disturbing about Evans is that he lost the 3rd set 6-0 against a player >200 places below him in the ranking.

This is a clear indication that mentally he broke down leading to a slump in performance.  Unless he sorts out this problem he shouldn't be given the 2nd Singles player berth when Andy plays.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #116 on: March 07, 2010, 06:24 PM »

Oh my god. What the **** is wrong with British Tennis eh?? Win three matches, it's not hard!!

Ugghh it's a controversial topic and I'm loath to bring it up, but I wonder if it comes back to the whole 'given to them on a plate' thing, in Israel, they'd probably have executed anyone who lost.

I reckon Wimbledon and the LTA should do something really ballsy, and say none of you are getting wild cards, if you want to play, you'll have to qualify. That'd teach them to win three sets.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #117 on: March 07, 2010, 07:01 PM »

doh Rolling Eyes no

Ugghh it's a controversial topic and I'm loath to bring it up, but I wonder if it comes back to the whole 'given to them on a plate' thing, in Israel, they'd probably have executed anyone who lost.

I reckon Wimbledon and the LTA should do something really ballsy, and say none of you are getting wild cards, if you want to play, you'll have to qualify. That'd teach them to win three sets.
How about getting John Lloyd to play a match (or more). Now that would that would be hilariously ballsy. roflmao

I think that is decided by some sort of draw soon.
It's at home according to the Davis Cup site.

Pity Jamie Baker got injured - Lloyd might have played him, and he's proved he's got the game and the mental strength to go with it, but ... Also Fleming's a good singles player ...
I'm pretty sure that Baker would have played reading/hearing Lloyd's comments from Thursday and Friday.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #118 on: March 07, 2010, 07:09 PM »

doh Rolling Eyes no

How about getting John Lloyd to play a match (or more). Now that would that would be hilariously ballsy. roflmao
No, that would be funny. I like to think my idea is actually a good one. I think the LTA need to show the world that they don't thinks it's acceptable for Britain to be on the brink of world group 3. At the moment the world is laughing at us.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #119 on: March 07, 2010, 10:33 PM »

BBC Sport - Tennis - Jonathan Overend reflects on GB's Davis Cup defeat
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »