Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010

(Read 4542 times)
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #120 on: March 07, 2010, 10:37 PM »

What I find disturbing about Evans is that he lost the 3rd set 6-0 against a player >200 places below him in the ranking.

This is a clear indication that mentally he broke down leading to a slump in performance.  Unless he sorts out this problem he shouldn't be given the 2nd Singles player berth when Andy plays.

Evans is ******* useless.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #121 on: March 07, 2010, 11:03 PM »

Evans is f**king useless.
Evans took Berinkas to five sets, remember? - and he did manage to pull himself back after going 6-0 down against Grigelis.  Just a bit unfortunate for him that, for the second DC running, the outcome hinged on his performance in the fifth rubber.  It takes a pretty mentally tough player to cope with that sort of pressure.  Grigelis managed it but Evans didn't.  I feel sorry for him because his game has improved considerably since the Poland tie and hopefully the mental strength will come in time. 
[ Last edit by Aileen March 08, 2010, 02:25 AM ] IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #122 on: March 08, 2010, 09:22 AM »

I don't know what all the fuss is about being relegated, we would have a 50/50 chance of beating The Vatican in Group 3!! LOL
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #123 on: March 08, 2010, 10:27 AM »

lmao  probably wouldn't even manage to beat the pope...
IP Logged
LC the fan
Junior

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #124 on: March 08, 2010, 10:30 AM »

Quite relieved this morning that the press aren't slamming Andy the way I dreaded they might.
The whole situation at the LTA needs looking at, long and hard   - Andy has very strong ideas about the lack of committment and expectation in  UK.  He can never understand why the facilities at Roehampton are so empty at weekends.
IP Logged
murray mad
ATP Level

flexible

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #125 on: March 08, 2010, 12:29 PM »

I think the main problem is John Lloyd... we need someone in who makes good decisions at the right times, seems that John is all lost at sea. I know we don't have many options with players but a good coach will find the best in the people we have.
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

"ELIZABETH GWEN 27.4.70" in Chit-Chat.

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #126 on: March 08, 2010, 12:51 PM »

Tennis players play for themselves, we all get satisfaction from seeing our favourites win vicariously.

I don’t follow that. Are you saying that tennis players don’t care if they have no fans and if nobody in the crowd cheers for them?

IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #127 on: March 08, 2010, 01:32 PM »

Andy is a world class player.

Who should play for his country.

We should have had enough to beat Lithuania -

But we DIDN'T have. And "enough" is not good enough. You need the BEST team to win, not an "enough" team.

did you hear what Overend was saying?

I did. It made no sense. He said our players did their best, but we need better players. That's stupid. What we need is for our players to play better. Why can't they? What's wrong with them? What's wrong with their training? What's wrong with their motivation?

We have a national budget of 25 million pounds per annum, Lithuania have £90,000. Evans and Ward use world class facilities at Roehampton, they should have been good enough.

Right. They SHOULD have been. They should BE! So why AREN'T they? It obviously needs more than money. It needs determination. It needs dedication. Where does that come from?

What I love about Andy Murray is his single mindedness

So where was it in his last match? He was rubbish, and didn't even regret it afterwards. Where is his game going? I was utterly shocked and horrified. He completely let us down. We pay good money to watch him make SOME effort, not NO effort.

- his ambition is to win grand slams,

Yeah. Federer thinks THAT's a joke!

not to play nobodies in aircraft hangars.

Yeah but he MIGHT win playing against nobodies, AND for HIS country.  Does he WANT his country to be a laughing stock?
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #128 on: March 08, 2010, 02:26 PM »

I don’t follow that. Are you saying that tennis players don’t care if they have no fans and if nobody in the crowd cheers for them?

How on earth did you work that out? I'm saying that, while tennis players have countries listed next to their names on draw sheets and the like, the titles they win are not attributed to their nation, but to the players themselves. DC is a national team competition, but other than that there's just the World Team Championships that actually involve playing for your country.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #129 on: March 08, 2010, 02:29 PM »

Who should play for his country.

But we DIDN'T have. And "enough" is not good enough. You need the BEST team to win, not an "enough" team.

I did. It made no sense. He said our players did their best, but we need better players. That's stupid. What we need is for our players to play better. Why can't they? What's wrong with them? What's wrong with their training? What's wrong with their motivation?

Right. They SHOULD have been. They should BE! So why AREN'T they? It obviously needs more than money. It needs determination. It needs dedication. Where does that come from?

So where was it in his last match? He was rubbish, and didn't even regret it afterwards. Where is his game going? I was utterly shocked and horrified. He completely let us down. We pay good money to watch him make SOME effort, not NO effort.

Yeah. Federer thinks THAT's a joke!

Yeah but he MIGHT win playing against nobodies, AND for HIS country.  Does he WANT his country to be a laughing stock?

I'm sorry but your insistence that Andy put himself through futile and unnecessary exertion for the current DC team is ludicrous. Try seeing the bigger picture, will you? He has a singles career to worry about, which he doesn't need jeopardised in any way by traipsing off to some outpost to fight in a losing battle.

As for his single-mindedness - surely his decision to use Dubai as a training event shows that he has his eye on bigger things for himself?
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #130 on: March 08, 2010, 02:41 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, Andy put his body through the mill for his country against Poland last year, won both his singles matches and yet we still lost. Lloyd has probably told Andy that he doesn't expect him to play until we're in a far better position, and facing quality teams again.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #131 on: March 08, 2010, 03:33 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, Andy put his body through the mill for his country against Poland last year, won both his singles matches and yet we still lost. Lloyd has probably told Andy that he doesn't expect him to play until we're in a far better position, and facing quality teams again.

Yes, I'm sure Lloyd knows the score. He played at the pinnacle once, so he ought to understand Andy's reasoning, even if publicly he has to fight for the team and the integrity of the competition.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #132 on: March 08, 2010, 03:41 PM »

The fact that the LTA give Andy the green light to get on with his career and excused him from DC duty says it all, and Andy has confirmed he's still committed to playing for GB - if and when we pull ourselves out of the tennis wilderness.  He says, quite rightly, that our other players will learn nothing so long as he is carrying them.
I think the main problem is John Lloyd... we need someone in who makes good decisions at the right times, seems that John is all lost at sea. I know we don't have many options with players but a good coach will find the best in the people we have.
This is why we need somebody like Rusedski.  Somebody who has the enthusiasm to energise players and instil some discipline into them, as well as making good judgments (e.g. he said whilst commentating during the Poland tie that he thought Fleming should play the crucial final rubber and not rookie Evans).  We do have some material there, but it cannot be moulded by a captain/coach who acts like Mother Hen, which Lloyd does.  However, it was perhaps unfortunate for him that Jamie Baker got injured because, as I said before, Baker has already proved his worth, and accordingly to Lloyd "he was on fire" during training.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #133 on: March 08, 2010, 03:54 PM »

BBC Sport - Tennis - John Lloyd considers future as Davis Cup captain

Radio interview with Steven Martens, the LTA Player Director - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8555474.stm

I also think Roger Draper should take a good look at his own position here.  The blame for this sorry mess cannot be piled entirely on Lloyd's head.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 08, 2010, 04:14 PM ] IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #134 on: March 08, 2010, 04:12 PM »

How on earth did you work that out?

I said players play for their fans. You said they don't.

I'm saying that, while tennis players have countries listed next to their names on draw sheets and the like, the titles they win are not attributed to their nation, but to the players themselves.

I'm saying that players are followed by fans from their own country and if players want to keep the support of their fans then they have to support their country.

DC is a national team competition,

Which British tennis fans want their nation to win, which requires picking the best team which requires picking Andy, doesn't it?

Which British TV might then even bother to cover, mightn't it?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »