Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010

(Read 3948 times)
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #135 on: March 08, 2010, 04:16 PM »

The BBC didn't feel this tie was enough value for money for them to show it on TV.

A rather brief statement from Roger Draper btw:
I share the deep disappointment and frustration at this result. Five defeats in a row is unacceptable.

So I have asked the LTA Player Director, Steven Martens, to review last week's performance and result, and report back to me and the LTA Main Board as soon as possible.

That review needs to be swift and decisive as it is clear some real improvements need to be made.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #136 on: March 08, 2010, 04:18 PM »

I'm saying that players are followed by fans from their own country and if players want to keep the support of their fans then they have to support their country.

That simply isn't true.
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

"ELIZABETH GWEN 27.4.70" in Chit-Chat.

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #137 on: March 08, 2010, 04:29 PM »

I'm sorry but your insistence that Andy put himself through futile and unnecessary exertion for the current DC team is ludicrous. Try seeing the bigger picture, will you? He has a singles career to worry about, which he doesn't need jeopardised in any way by traipsing off to some outpost to fight in a losing battle.

As for his single-mindedness - surely his decision to use Dubai as a training event shows that he has his eye on bigger things for himself?

As far as I'm concerned, Andy put his body through the mill for his country against Poland last year, won both his singles matches and yet we still lost. Lloyd has probably told Andy that he doesn't expect him to play until we're in a far better position, and facing quality teams again.

Yeah, right. I'm sure it's gonna take a LOT of effort for Andy to wipe the floor 6-0 6-0 6-0 against two nobodies.

And THAT's the sort of event for him to use as a TRAINING event, when he CAN'T lose, NOT a high-profile event against top players in Dubai, where he should have been concentrating on gaining experience on how to beat TOP players like Djokovic, who in the event is now leaving him miles behind.

Still I'm glad to see that you've got so much confidence in his "training" and "resting" policy and that it means he's going to do SO well in America, (as he did last year WITHOUT this policy).

Personally I'm a bit skeptical, but we'll see who's right come the weekend. My hopes are not very high. That way I avoid vast disappointment.
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

"ELIZABETH GWEN 27.4.70" in Chit-Chat.

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #138 on: March 08, 2010, 05:00 PM »

That simply isn't true.

It’s true where fans like me are concerned. I used to be a devoted fan of Andy because I admired his determination, but he admitted that he didn’t even care about losing against Tipsaravich.

What does that mean? That means he wasn’t totally determined to win.

I wish he’d told me that before the game, then I wouldn’t have been so upset when he lost.

Not that I believe him, when I come to think about it.

I think he did care about losing to Tipsaravich, but didn’t like to admit it afterwards, because he didn’t want to look stupid, but it’s better to look stupid than to be disinterested.

I think he took the game too easy and thought he’d show off by showing how he could beat Tipsaravich without having to make much effort, but it back-fired and he got a nasty shock.

But the good news is that it won’t happen again, because if there’s one thing Andy is good at, it’s learning from his mistakes.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #139 on: March 08, 2010, 06:58 PM »

It’s true where fans like me are concerned. I used to be a devoted fan of Andy because I admired his determination, but he admitted that he didn’t even care about losing against Tipsaravich.
He's determined to be the best in the world and a Slam winner, not caring about a loss to someone like Tipsaravich has nothing to do with those character traits that you admire.

The fact he used a match in a tournament like that to experiment and improve his game for Slams just shows you how determined he is to get that maiden Slam and that's all he cares about right now.
IP Logged
pggtips
Futures Level

Re: Davis Cup tie away to Lithuania - March 2010 « Reply #140 on: March 08, 2010, 10:27 PM »

The BBC must be really cutting back these days, normally this is their pre-Eurovision jaunt out to Eastern Europe and bringing half the Foreign Office with them.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »