Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Elena Baltacha 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 21 Go Down Reply
Author

Elena Baltacha

(Read 12010 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #180 on: March 07, 2014, 09:27 PM »

********. This is so unfair. Unless she can get a transplant, liver cancer has a horrible prognosis.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #181 on: March 07, 2014, 10:25 PM »

********. This is so unfair. Unless she can get a transplant, liver cancer has a horrible prognosis.
Don't know all the facts but, liver cancer tends to lend itself to secondary tumour with the primary one being else where. Frown
....hope I am so wrong pray
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #182 on: March 08, 2014, 12:15 AM »

So sorry to hear about Elena. Frown I really hope she will make a full recovery.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #183 on: March 08, 2014, 03:03 PM »

I have heard you dont need a full new liver. If she has a partial transplant the new liver can regenerate.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #184 on: March 08, 2014, 03:14 PM »

I have heard you dont need a full new liver. If she has a partial transplant the new liver can regenerate.

Yes I heard that also
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #185 on: March 08, 2014, 03:20 PM »

Don't know all the facts but, liver cancer tends to lend itself to secondary tumour with the primary one being else where. Frown
....hope I am so wrong pray
yes this happened to my Mum .the primary was in her pelvic are.ther really was nothing they could do.So she came home and we spent 7 months together.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #186 on: March 08, 2014, 05:01 PM »

Also the fact that her immune system is so depleted by her original condition can't bode well.  Such a shame.  Stories about it in the news pages of both Guardian and Independent.
So sorry about your mum too iamabritt but good that you could spend that time together.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #187 on: March 08, 2014, 05:05 PM »

Also the fact that her immune system is so depleted by her original condition can't bode well.  Such a shame.  Stories about it in the news pages of both Guardian and Independent.
So sorry about your mum too iamabritt but good that you could spend that time together.
yes Ruthie it was a precious time.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #188 on: March 08, 2014, 06:06 PM »

I still find Elena's news hard to take in. Like when we heard the news about Ross Hutchins, it strikes me as horribly ironic that a young, essentially fit sportsperson should be struck by such an awful thing. I literally went cold when I heard the news. It just seems so horribly unfair for a young woman whose career was blighted by injury to now have to deal with this. The only thing I can say that is positive is that I'm sure her injury struggles will have made her tough and up for a fight.

From what I understand the prognosis very much depends on the type of cancer of the liver. There is more than one, but it is apparently very often the case that patients don't realise they have it until it's too late, meaning that treatment is unlikely to work.

Apparently options for treatment include transplantation, or liver resection, where part of the liver is removed. Tumours can also have small electrical pulses put through them, to destroy them. As I understand it, chemotherapy, treatments of that nature, are not used in liver cancer.

I hope Elena has discovered her cancer early. I assume her previous issues would mean that she would have been considered at risk of such a thing, so maybe was being watched for signs of it. I really hope she was. The prognosis for a late diagnosis doesn't bear thinking about to be honest.

Iamabritt I'm so sorry about your mum, but I'm so glad you were able to spend some time together.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #189 on: March 08, 2014, 06:59 PM »

horrible news  Frown
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #190 on: March 08, 2014, 11:14 PM »

I read in the paper today shes was diagnosed with Sclerosing cholangitis at 19 yrs old. That means she has an increased risk of developing liver cancer.
Very unlucky as its more common in men than women.

Hope shes gets a transplant at the right time, but its so sad someone has to die in order to save another persons life.

Our prays and thoughts are with her.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #191 on: March 08, 2014, 11:17 PM »

They've just been talking about Bally on the tennis coverage. I thought Petch looked especially emotional when he talked about her. It brings home how, at least generally, close the tennis community is.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #192 on: March 08, 2014, 11:18 PM »

Sorry to hear about Elena.Wish her all the best.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #193 on: March 09, 2014, 12:07 AM »

Sorry to hear about Elena. She is a fighter. Life is too cruel.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Elena Baltacha « Reply #194 on: March 12, 2014, 10:41 AM »

Only just heard about this. Frown

Really sad news, hope she can pull through.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 21 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »