Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  The LTA. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

The LTA.

(Read 4992 times)
crookshanks
Challenger Level

The LTA. « on: May 16, 2006, 05:48 PM »

Just saw on the bbc website that David Felgate has been sacked as head of performance at the LTA!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4987852.stm
Quite strange, don't you think? I don't know that much about it,
but it seemed to me like he was doing quite a good job, and with the new tennis center being built, it seems like an odd moment to sack him.
But maybe I just think that because I like him! (He must be nice, seeing as he is Tim's former coach!)
Anyway, Jeremy Bates has taken his place at the moment, but I suppose they'll  have to get someone new. Who do you think it will be?
IP Logged
Riverman
Veteran

Hello

Re: Felgate sacked at LTA « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 06:33 PM »

whilst a new structure is created and a new team recruited

Think Petch has got a new job coming up...?
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Felgate sacked at LTA « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 03:17 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised...
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Felgate sacked at LTA « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 05:15 PM »

Think Petchey might ruffle a few feathers. He hates the new tennis centre. I have to agree - where are the players going to come from to play there if we can't get tennis right at grass-roots level?

Also, most of the courts are OUTDOORS. C'mon - this isn't Marbella!
IP Logged
rochelle
Top Seed

Andy and Jamie

Re: Felgate sacked at LTA « Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 05:10 PM »

murrays opinion
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4994676.stm
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Felgate sacked at LTA « Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 02:35 AM »

Henman's Turn to defend Draper!
IP Logged
richie c
Futures Level

Roger Draper « Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 07:35 PM »

I Welcome the sacking of David Felgat,e finally somebody who knows what he is doing, somebody who is going to kick arse
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Roger Draper « Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 07:59 PM »

I don't really have a clue on people who are involved with the LTA so I wouldn't know whos doing a good job or bad.
IP Logged
arka
Re: Roger Draper « Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 08:05 PM »

My knowledge of the working of the LTA is really poor.

But I dont support the firing of someone so hastily. That too, no proper reason has been given to us. no
IP Logged
richie c
Futures Level

Re: Roger Draper « Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 10:16 PM »

Its pretty obvious why he got sacked He was **** at his job for the last 3 years he made all these promises and didn't deliever one single one. 4 men in the top 200 no good and the womens is even worse . it's shambolic. plus he wasted alot of money. Time to get tough and face reality and roger is the right man to do this to bring a fresh desire to the british game. It so badly badly needs
IP Logged
arka
Re: Roger Draper « Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 10:33 PM »

But give them some time!

You cant go to the supermarket and get new players. no Its a really slow process. Ten years ago British tennis had nothing. Now at least we have three players in the top 100. Plus Bogdanovic should do it this year. Jamie has a really good chance of doing it next year.

And we have a set of really talented juniors, Graeme Dyce leading the way. We also have people like Daniel Cox and Daniel Evans, who are kids but are more than a match for people older than them. Cox has a ranking point at the age of 15!

We cant make progress so easily. It takes a lot of time. Even if we get all the world's best coaches and the best possible management, I dont think that we can emulate Spain, Argentina, France or the USA in even five years.

Yes, I have a lot of hope. As long as more people start loving the game, there will be progress. But I doubt that anything holistic can be achieved by such hasty decisions.

I dont know much, but I dont think Draper to be a fool. However what he did here was very wrong in my opinion.
[ Last edit by Arka May 24, 2006, 11:39 PM ] IP Logged
XCW4EVA
Challenger Level

Re: Roger Draper « Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 10:53 PM »

Draper has said today that the LTA has mispent its funding, He said that the Lta were wrong to make life so comfortable for players because even if they are ranked 300, 400, 500 because they are well funded anough to be comfartbale, i think he means that some countries don't give much funding for players in the later rankings therefore they have more incentive to get into the ttop 100 so they fund themselves better, anyone agreee on this??? Think
IP Logged
arka
Re: Roger Draper « Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 11:19 PM »

Draper has said today that the LTA has mispent its funding, He said that the Lta were wrong to make life so comfortable for players because even if they are ranked 300, 400, 500 because they are well funded anough to be comfartbale, i think he means that some countries don't give much funding for players in the later rankings therefore they have more incentive to get into the ttop 100 so they fund themselves better, anyone agreee on this??? Think

This point is a pretty valid one.

Because the players need a lot of funding during their early days. A first round loss at a Futurs may give you something as low as 120 dollars. So you have to receive a good funding.

This point is accepted, but sacking Felgate is a rubbish decision.

IP Logged
arka
The LTA. « Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 06:02 PM »

Just thought that we should have a thread for posting things about the working of our governing body.

I hope that this thread won't become all of "Arka vs. Laura". Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
arka
Re: The LTA. « Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 06:05 PM »

Good to see that Harman is against the gits recruiting people like Lundgren. clap clap

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5205-2431364,00.html
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »