Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Heather Watson 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 28 Go Down Reply
Author

Heather Watson

(Read 13803 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #285 on: October 16, 2012, 03:17 PM »

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #286 on: October 21, 2012, 01:47 AM »

Guys,posting this in the Heather and Laura threads as it confirms what we've been saying about the way each of their successes spurs the other on Smile

Heather Watson admits that being overlooked by Andy Murray in favour of Laura Robson at the Olympics this summer helped her become the first British woman to win a WTA Tour title for 24 years.

Watson's friendly disposition masks a ruthless streak. And while her friendship with Robson has survived the frustration of not playing in the mixed doubles at the Olympics, in spite of having a higher doubles ranking, Watson used the experience to harden her.

'I wanted to play, it was the Olympics,' said Watson, whose triumph last weekend in the WTA tournament in Osaka, Japan, delivered British tennis another success story five weeks after Murray won the US Open championship.

'I think anyone in that position would have wanted that opportunity. But it was Andy's decision and he and Laura ended up winning a silver medal, and that was brilliant for the country.
'I was disappointed but it has made me stronger as a person, it's made me push harder.'

In Murray's defence, he was placed in an invidious position at the Olympics at Wimbledon.

Both women had a case to be co-opted by Murray; but his choice was coloured by the fact he had enjoyed a winning partnership with Robson in an Australian exhibition tournament.

At 20, Watson has risen this week to No 50 in the world, two places above Robson, who is two years younger.

Watson said: 'Off the court we are good friends but when it comes to the crunch, we are competitive. We are not going to be friends when we're playing. This is our job. At tournaments Laura will be with her team and I'll be with mine.'

Last month Robson missed her own chance to win a WTA title, when she was narrowly defeated by Su-Wei Hsieh in a final in Guangzhou, China.

'Knowing Laura got to a WTA final and didn't win, as soon as I got to that final I wanted to win so badly,' said Watson, who is having some rare time with parents Michelle and Ian at home in Guernsey.

'I always look to see how Laura is doing and she has been stronger since the Olympics, too. If she does well, I want to do better. It's very good that we push each other along.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2220739/Heather-Watson-hurt-Andy-Murray-Olympics-snub.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #287 on: October 21, 2012, 06:21 AM »

Thanks for the video TMH..missed the match so was really happy to watch this...
[ Last edit by ZARFEEN15 October 21, 2012, 06:26 AM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #288 on: October 21, 2012, 06:27 AM »

Guys,posting this in the Heather and Laura threads as it confirms what we've been saying about the way each of their successes spurs the other on Smile

Heather Watson admits that being overlooked by Andy Murray in favour of Laura Robson at the Olympics this summer helped her become the first British woman to win a WTA Tour title for 24 years.

Watson's friendly disposition masks a ruthless streak. And while her friendship with Robson has survived the frustration of not playing in the mixed doubles at the Olympics, in spite of having a higher doubles ranking, Watson used the experience to harden her.

'I wanted to play, it was the Olympics,' said Watson, whose triumph last weekend in the WTA tournament in Osaka, Japan, delivered British tennis another success story five weeks after Murray won the US Open championship.

'I think anyone in that position would have wanted that opportunity. But it was Andy's decision and he and Laura ended up winning a silver medal, and that was brilliant for the country.
'I was disappointed but it has made me stronger as a person, it's made me push harder.'

In Murray's defence, he was placed in an invidious position at the Olympics at Wimbledon.

Both women had a case to be co-opted by Murray; but his choice was coloured by the fact he had enjoyed a winning partnership with Robson in an Australian exhibition tournament.

At 20, Watson has risen this week to No 50 in the world, two places above Robson, who is two years younger.

Watson said: 'Off the court we are good friends but when it comes to the crunch, we are competitive. We are not going to be friends when we're playing. This is our job. At tournaments Laura will be with her team and I'll be with mine.'

Last month Robson missed her own chance to win a WTA title, when she was narrowly defeated by Su-Wei Hsieh in a final in Guangzhou, China.

'Knowing Laura got to a WTA final and didn't win, as soon as I got to that final I wanted to win so badly,' said Watson, who is having some rare time with parents Michelle and Ian at home in Guernsey.

'I always look to see how Laura is doing and she has been stronger since the Olympics, too. If she does well, I want to do better. It's very good that we push each other along.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2220739/Heather-Watson-hurt-Andy-Murray-Olympics-snub.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

That is really sweet of Heather..started liking her more and more..
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #289 on: October 22, 2012, 04:18 PM »

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #290 on: April 03, 2013, 04:48 PM »

Heather has glandular fever Frown

Heather Watson – on the road to recovery from Glandular Fever

Heather Watson has been ordered to rest and recover after doctors diagnosed that the British No.1 has been suffering from Glandular Fever.

Blood tests in Miami revealed traces of the virus and doctors have indicated that Heather is at the tail-end of the fever, although there’s no news yet of how long a full recovery might take.

Heather said of the illness: "I had to do some blood tests after Miami and the results have shown that I have traces of Glandular Fever (mono) in my system.

There is no prescription for this other than complete rest but the good news is that the doctors have told me I am at the tail end of the fever. This means I have been trying to compete through the symptoms for some time.

"I have been struggling with both training and playing matches and felt so tired and exhausted for months but now that the doctors have found the cause of this, it explains everything that has been happening to me physically and mentally. I am actually relieved to know what is wrong so that I can get myself on the mend.

"I hope to recover as soon as possible by resting my body and getting lots of sleep. I already feel better from being at home for a week, and am looking forward to getting back on Tour soon."

Iain Bates, LTA Head of Women’s Tennis, said: "First of all, get well soon, Heather, from the whole team. We all know she’ll bounce back better than ever. Heather’s focus will be on her recovery, and we will do whatever we can to support Heather and help that process."

http://www.lta.org.uk/News/2013/April/2013-04-02/Heather-Watson--on-the-road-to-recovery-from-Glandular-Fever/
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #291 on: April 03, 2013, 05:24 PM »

Is Mono what Fed had?

Get well soon Heather
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #292 on: April 03, 2013, 06:39 PM »

^ Yes it was. Think a couple of other players have had it too.
Poor Heather. Explains her comment about being "burnt out."
Hope she gets better soon.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #293 on: April 03, 2013, 06:55 PM »

The good news is that she seems to be coming to the tail end of it according to the BBC report.  The bad news is that by playing through it there's a danger it could be recurrent.  I had it when I was a student and together with the most dreadful sore throat I was exhausted beyond belief.  There was no way I could have picked up a tennis racquet so hopefully that means she's had a mild version and it won't be recurrent.  I was lucky and it never did recur but I had to take quite a number of weeks out of my final year to recover and then recuperate.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #294 on: April 03, 2013, 10:59 PM »

Mono is what has effectively retired Soderling. Thankfully it sounds like her case is nowhere near as severe. Hope she gets well soon.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #295 on: April 09, 2013, 12:27 PM »

Out of Fed Cup. Frown
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #296 on: April 09, 2013, 12:32 PM »

Oh dear, things really aren't going great for our two girls right now Frown

Hopefully she's recover alright.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #297 on: June 23, 2013, 09:40 AM »

The pre-wimbledon party

IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #298 on: June 24, 2013, 12:38 PM »

Like that dress, looks lovely on her Smile
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Heather Watson « Reply #299 on: June 24, 2013, 01:46 PM »

She looks absolutely stunning! Agree haze that dress is gorg and suits her couloring to perfection.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 28 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »