Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Henman set for Davis cup return - updated - Tim confirms he will play 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Henman set for Davis cup return - updated - Tim confirms he will play

(Read 1169 times)
Danton
Futures Level

Just laugh - you'll feel better for it

Hi, BBC article posted below - I think it's great - now we stand a real chance and it's going to be another few years before we have any decent youngsters coming through.

Henman set for Davis Cup return

Henman made his Davis Cup debut in 1994 against Romania
Tim Henman is expected to confirm this week that he has ended his self-imposed Davis Cup exile and is ready to play for Great Britain again.
The British number two, now 31, last appeared in the competition in September 2004, deciding to concentrate on his pursuit of individual glory.

But following encouragement from John Lloyd, Britain's new Davis Cup captain, Henman is ready to return.

Britain will face the Netherlands in a Euro-African Zone One tie on 6-8 April.

The clash will take place at the NEC in Birmingham.

If Henman is recalled, he could join British number one Andy Murray and Greg Rusedski in a powerful-looking line-up.

They will certainly fancy their chances of beating the Dutch, who dropped out of the World Group after losing in a play-off to the Czech Republic in September.

Britain have beaten the Netherlands both times they have met in the Davis Cup, but the last occasion was in 1960.

The last time the teams met in Britain was in 1948 when the home team won 4-1 on grass at Edgbaston.

[ Last edit by Danton January 07, 2007, 11:10 PM ] IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Henman set for Davis cup return « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 04:54 PM »

This should be on the frontpage, Mark shocking
IP Logged
Speedy Hawk
ATP Level

Never give up, Never say die

Re: Henman set for Davis cup return « Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 04:56 PM »

I agree it is great. To put British up again before get new younger players in the team.
IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: Henman set for Davis cup return « Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 04:57 PM »

No it shouldent. He is not andy Murray
IP Logged
Speedy Hawk
ATP Level

Re: Henman set for Davis cup return « Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 05:19 PM »

No it shouldent. He is not andy Murray

There has been news about something else other than Andy like Padmar retires, etc.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Henman set for Davis cup return « Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 05:21 PM »

shocking

Hmmm. Wonder what that'll do to the doubles line up....
IP Logged
Speedy Hawk
ATP Level

Re: Henman set for Davis cup return « Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 05:23 PM »

shocking

Hmmm. Wonder what that'll do to the doubles line up....

I suppose double to be almost the same. Tim and Andy, possibly Greg to play singles and double players to play doubles.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Henman set for Davis cup return « Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 08:14 PM »

This is awesome!!!  I hope he will play!
IP Logged
Speedy Hawk
ATP Level

Re: Henman set for Davis cup return « Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 08:44 PM »

I'm sure he would play, why else would John Loyd worked hard to get Tim back but don't even use him!
IP Logged
rochelle
Top Seed

Andy and Jamie

Re: Henman set for Davis cup return « Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 09:37 PM »

this is great ... would be good to have tim back .. and plus i could watch him hehe .... im even more excited now
IP Logged
Danton
Futures Level

Just laugh - you'll feel better for it

Henman set for Davis cup return - it's official - Tim says yes « Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 11:09 PM »

Updated info from the BBC - it's official

Henman back in Davis Cup picture 

Henman made his Davis Cup debut in 1994 against Romania
Tim Henman has confirmed that he has ended his self-imposed Davis Cup exile and is ready to play for Great Britain again with immediate effect.
The British number two, now 32, last played in the team event in September 2004, before deciding to concentrate on his pursuit of individual glory.

Henman said: "I'm very happy to announce I am making myself available for Davis Cup selection once again."

Britain will face the Netherlands in a Euro-African Zone One tie on 6-8 April.

Some of the best memories of my career have come from the Davis Cup and I hope I can add to those

Tim Henman

Henman was encouraged to return by Britain's new Davis Cup captain John Lloyd and is now hoping to be picked for the match against the Dutch at the NEC in Birmingham.

"I've thought long and hard about the situation since being asked to consider my position by John," Henman told his official website.

"I've always enjoyed representing my country and I'm happy to be in a situation whereby I can hopefully do so again.

"Some of the best memories of my career have come from the Davis Cup and hopefully I can add to those in the not-to-distant future.

"Andy Murray is doing incredibly well, Greg Rusedski still wants to be part of the set-up, which means we have quite a few options now."

Great Britain will certainly fancy their chances of beating the Dutch, who dropped out of the World Group after losing in a play-off to the Czech Republic in September.

Britain have beaten the Netherlands both times they have met in the Davis Cup, but the last occasion was in 1960.

The only time the teams played in Britain was in 1948 when the home team won 4-1 on grass at Edgbaston.

Henman, who made his Davis Cup debut in 1994 against Romania in Manchester, is currently sidelined with a knee injury and will miss the Australian Open.

IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

WOAH!!   shocking I so wanna go to this but I doubt I'll have anyone to go with.  Crying or Very sad I could always try and guilt one of my friends into coming with me.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

YUS YUS YES YES YES!!!  cmon yeah yay HENMAN  clap clap clap HENMAN  clap clap clap HENMAN!! GOOOOOOO HENMAN!

I reckon the best team would be

Singles 1: Henman
Singles 2: Murray
Doubles: J Murray/ Auckland or at risk of tiredness Murray/Murray
Singles 3: Murray (to wrap it up hopefully, if already 3-0 or if Murray/Murray doubles then Rusedski)
Singles 4: Henman/ Rusedski.
[ Last edit by nkp2 January 08, 2007, 09:41 PM ] IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

That good team!!  After we beat them 3-0 we can let the other up and coming players have a go  :p
IP Logged
Tennis-Player
ATP Level

Whoa I'm kinda suprised  w00t but I guess it's all good  clap. That would be an awesome line up if they all play...
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »