Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Hopes For The Future. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Hopes For The Future.

(Read 7703 times)
daveo

Re: Hopes For The Future/Aberdeen cup. « Reply #45 on: November 06, 2006, 11:21 PM »

Hi guys, just a quick update from Jonny. The new season started last weekend with the Grand Prix u12 in Corby, Northampton. Jonny had a tough draw and no easy matches but managed to come through the early rounds. On the Sunday he faced the talented Luke Bambridge from Nottingham in the semi-final and in a tight match with Jonny's guile and court awareness having to match Luke's powerful groundstrokes he came through in an excellently played final set tie--break 10-2. He then faced the equally talented Mohammed Morsi in the final and again had to absorb some powerful play before unleashing some accurate shots of his own to both sides to  take the match 6-2 6-2. A well deserved title for Jonny.

And for all you Aberdeen cup attendees and Murray Maniacs Jonny, along with a few other Scottish junior players, will be entertaining the crowds before the big event on saturday just after doors open with some demonstration drills with  Andy's mum and his first coach Leon Smith so watch out for that - Andy may well join them in the warm up!
Jonny's dad
http://www.freewebs.com/jonnyomaraonline
IP Logged
arka
Re: Hopes For The Future. « Reply #46 on: November 07, 2006, 02:45 AM »

He defeated Bambridge! Well done. yay      Congrats on winning the title.

Good to see that Jonny enjoyed his trip to Florence. Any thoughts about selecting that as his base in the future years?

I saw that people like Lucas Poelman are heading to Florida this December. Best of luck to them. Smile
[ Last edit by Arka November 07, 2006, 02:45 AM ] IP Logged
daveo

Re: Hopes For The Future. « Reply #47 on: November 07, 2006, 10:49 AM »

Florence looks a real option. I was very impressed with the set up-good coaching, great facilities, very good food provided by on site restaurant-all in all a good package. i think we will go out there in chunks over the next few years as Jonny is still young and then consider it for more long term stays.
we considered the Orange bowls this year too but thought we would get better value next year when Jonny has a bit more experience
IP Logged
arka
Re: Hopes For The Future. « Reply #48 on: November 07, 2006, 02:30 PM »

Wow! It's good to see that you have made some progress towards selecting a training base.

I am very much for young players training abroad. You won't get quality hitting partners and good facilities in Scotland. And training on warm clay helps one a lot. As Emilio Sanchez said while speaking about Andy Murray, "On clay you are always going to hit 100 balls in succession in the same place. That's why those who play only on hard courts or grass, where the ball stays lower, don't have consistency in their groundstrokes. It is a basic requirement for today's tennis to have that consistency." I really believe in that.

I must admit that I was particularly looking for Jonny's name while scanning through the Eddie Herr and Orange Bowl lists. Wink
But it'll be much better if he goes there as a more complete player next year. Smile
[ Last edit by Arka November 07, 2006, 02:39 PM ] IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Hopes For The Future. « Reply #49 on: November 09, 2006, 07:40 PM »

I yesterdays Daily Mail and Daily Express there were articles about a 9 year old from Ayrshire called Ross Wilson. It said that he is near to getting a 10 year contract and a million Euro tuition package at the Mouratoglou Tennis Academy near Paris.

I'll try to find an online article about him?

Could be one to look out for.   
IP Logged
arka
Re: Hopes For The Future. « Reply #50 on: November 09, 2006, 07:44 PM »

I did post on him two months back.

Unlike the other boys, of whom I came to know through other sites, I came to know of this boy through Dave O'Mara, so a 'thanks' to him.
http://www.dailyrecordsportingheroes.co.uk/profile_page.php?id=31

Too young to say anything, but every good player was ten years of age at one point of time....

He is special. Smile
IP Logged
arka
Re: Hopes For The Future. « Reply #51 on: November 09, 2006, 07:46 PM »

Here is a new article : http://sport.scotsman.com/tennis.cfm?id=1651452006

Thanks a lot for reminding me, Allan. I read that article a few hours ago but forgot to post. duh
[ Last edit by Arka November 09, 2006, 07:46 PM ] IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Hopes For The Future. « Reply #52 on: November 09, 2006, 07:53 PM »

Daily record article
IP Logged
arka
Re: Hopes For The Future. « Reply #53 on: November 09, 2006, 08:03 PM »

Thanks a lot. goodjob

Just found out that Sebastien Lavie also trains there. He can be a brilliant player in the years to come.
IP Logged
daveo

Re: Hopes For The Future. « Reply #54 on: November 09, 2006, 10:48 PM »

Ross is a fine wee player with lots of potential and good luck to him. We were due to have a look at the academy last september but decided it was too soon as even if something came of it I feel that even 11 (Jonny's age) is young for full time tennis. we may still go out in April for a look with a view to see what happens nearer his teens. I beleive there is avery young boy there (is that the sebastien mentioned above?) who's about five-everyone to their own and do what's best for your own kid but for me that's simply too young unless the academy are really treading very carefully and not letting him do much. I know that after playing or doing ANYTHING for 15 years-and that would then be the age of a young pro- I would be bored out of my brains-if I had any left!
IP Logged
daveo

Re: Hopes For The Future. « Reply #55 on: November 09, 2006, 11:00 PM »

sorry i see it definitly wasn't Sebastien I was meaning as he is a much older boy-apologies
IP Logged
arka
Re: Hopes For The Future. « Reply #56 on: November 11, 2006, 11:22 AM »

Lavie reached the finals of Tarbes this year and didn't allow Carlos Boluda to defeat him heavily, so he can be good.

My guess is that you are speaking of Jan Silva, who is five years of age but goes to this academy. shocking

http://dwb.sacbee.com/content/news/story/14278017p-15086973c.html

You are right, there is so much time left. Most top players don't join academies till after 12 or 13. Jonny has time in his hands, so you people can really travel around and choose an academy that suits him best. Good luck for that.
[ Last edit by Arka November 11, 2006, 11:31 AM ] IP Logged
daveo

Re: Hopes For The Future. « Reply #57 on: February 04, 2007, 01:31 PM »

Hi all, another quick update on Jonny O'Mara and hopefully a little insight into what it is like somewhere at the other end of Andy's position! The first two junior grand prixs of the season went Jonny's way despite him feeling pretty poorly in aldershot-fortunately a quick check round of parents found at least one doctor so we managed to borrow some reccommmended tablets to get him through. In last months final grand prix, he finished third. Its the Masters (sometimes called the Winter Nationals next weekend in Shrewsbury after a change of venue from Roehampton as it isn't finished yet! Confess I didn't actually know where shrewbury was. The following weekend Jonny is off to play the Auray super 12 in France with GB which is a pretty top tournie with a past winners list  a who's who of tennis. He's hoping to make up for a pretty poor showing at last months tournie in Boulogne, nr Paris where he was seeded third but was knocked out second round. he did make the semis in the doubles though. Then next month its off to La Manga for some warm weather work with tennis scotland. I hope he realises how lucky he is!! He is currently standing at number 1 under 12 on the LTA lists. Nice peice on his current exploits in the Sunday Herald,( a Scottish paper),if you want a read the link is currently here but not sure for how long:
http://www.sundayherald.com/sport/nationalsport/display.var.1168470.0.rising_son.php
 Hope your tennis, playing or watching, is going well
Dave
http://www.freewebs.com/jonnyomaraonline/index.htm
IP Logged
Spud
Futures Level

Copywight 1994 Elmer Fudd. All wights wesewved

Re: Hopes For The Future. « Reply #58 on: February 05, 2007, 12:05 AM »

Hi all, another quick update on Jonny O'Mara and hopefully a little insight into what it is like somewhere at the other end of Andy's position! The first two junior grand prixs of the season went Jonny's way despite him feeling pretty poorly in aldershot-fortunately a quick check round of parents found at least one doctor so we managed to borrow some reccommmended tablets to get him through. In last months final grand prix, he finished third. Its the Masters (sometimes called the Winter Nationals next weekend in Shrewsbury after a change of venue from Roehampton as it isn't finished yet! Confess I didn't actually know where shrewbury was. The following weekend Jonny is off to play the Auray super 12 in France with GB which is a pretty top tournie with a past winners list  a who's who of tennis. He's hoping to make up for a pretty poor showing at last months tournie in Boulogne, nr Paris where he was seeded third but was knocked out second round. he did make the semis in the doubles though. Then next month its off to La Manga for some warm weather work with tennis scotland. I hope he realises how lucky he is!! He is currently standing at number 1 under 12 on the LTA lists. Nice peice on his current exploits in the Sunday Herald,( a Scottish paper),if you want a read the link is currently here but not sure for how long:
http://www.sundayherald.com/sport/nationalsport/display.var.1168470.0.rising_son.php
 Hope your tennis, playing or watching, is going well
Dave
http://www.freewebs.com/jonnyomaraonline/index.htm

Thanks for the info Dave. Always nice to keep uptodate with the British youngsters, keep it up  thumb up
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: Hopes For The Future. « Reply #59 on: February 05, 2007, 01:33 PM »

Nice to hear from you again Dave and good to hear how well Jonny's doing. I actually had read that bit in the Herald and was impressed. Keep us updated.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »