Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  I thought things were looking up for British tennis? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: I thought things were looking up for British tennis?  (Read 1824 times)
Sarah_
Top Seed

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 02:42 PM »

I don't know if this is the right place to say this but I'm going to anyway.

It annoys me all this negative publicity when I see nothing being done.
I have this friend who is really good at tennis, his LTA rating is 9.2, and he tells me it's now gone down to 8, he applied for a tennis college somewhere down South, and was accepted, only if he could pay up £10,000 a year for two years, unfortunately he can't afford this as he isn't exactly loaded[his words not mine], so he then applied for a scholarship which meant that he would be given a grant and able to go, however then they rejected the scholarship, so he is stuck here doing his A-Levels, with a wasted talent. I think it's disgraceful that money matters...

RANT OVER.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 02:45 PM »

Did he fail to get the scholarship because the LTA didn't see enough talent?
IP Logged
Sarah_
Top Seed

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 02:46 PM »

Did he fail to get the scholarship because the LTA didn't see enough talent?

No, the college accepted him, said to him that they wanted him in their college, then he said to them is there anyway I could get a scholarship as I can't afford to come out of my own money, which lead to them saying No.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 02:48 PM »

I see Frown
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 02:56 PM »

That sucks!   There is a lad here that has just gone to America to some kind of Golfing school. He had to get a really low handicap to get considered, and he had to pay a lot of money. Well his parents did, he's only 16!
IP Logged
Sarah_
Top Seed

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 02:57 PM »

My friend is 16 too, and comes from a single parent family, it would mean moving from the North East to London, and he was willing to do that. It makes me soooo angry to talk about it! At least he got to go though, but still why should all our talent have to move off to America! [Answer: Because the Uk is ****!]
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 03:04 PM »

Agreed. But he can only go bacause his parents are rich. If they didnt have the money, he wouldnt be going. Its a terrible thing when money decides who succeeds, but its the way of life at the moment!
IP Logged
Sarah_
Top Seed

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 03:07 PM »

Ugh, hate that, Money will always rule all though, whether we like it or not Money = Power.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 03:23 PM »

No offence Sarah, but if your friend is rated at 8 at the age of 16, he isn't that great a player. I'm not arguing the merits of the college that made the offer, but your friend's chances of making use of his talent in any money making way are slim to none. Unless he told you an incorrect rating?

"There are 20 rating bands. A rating of 1.1 is the highest level and 10.2 is the lowest. Beginners will get a rating of 10.2."

My friend who is the same age as me, is rated around 3.0 and he will never ever play on the world stage. County player at best. And that's only in scotland. If i had ever bothered to get a rating I'd probaby be around 7 and I'm not that good really. Yet I'd be better than your friend?
IP Logged
Sarah_
Top Seed

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 03:42 PM »

The college accepts people and they pursue a career in tennis, not only the idea of playing professional tennis, the idea was to come out and have a job in coaching, and further his tennis career in that area.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007, 03:44 PM »

Oh i see. Well fair enough Smile But £10,000 a year to pursue a career in coaching? He should look into getting coaching quaifications directly from a coaching school, then buld up his qualifications himself. That's where my mate started, with a 2 week course, giving him his basic level and know he can take it where he wants...
IP Logged
Sarah_
Top Seed

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #26 on: August 19, 2007, 03:46 PM »

The college gives a certainty to him becoming a coach at a higher standard than the usual ways of getting qualifications.
The college also said that going there would improve his ranking by around 5, or more, it was just crushing for his dreams to be shattered that's all...
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #27 on: August 19, 2007, 03:46 PM »

This might be useful..... He may have already looked at these things but you never know....

Linky
IP Logged
Sarah_
Top Seed

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007, 03:48 PM »

This might be useful..... He may have already looked at these things but you never know....

Linky

I'm sure he already knows about that, as he goes to the Sunderland Puma centre, but much appreciated anyway.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: I thought things were looking up for British tennis? « Reply #29 on: August 19, 2007, 03:48 PM »

The college gives a certainty to him becoming a coach at a higher standard than the usual ways of getting qualifications.
The college also said that going there would improve his ranking by around 5, or more, it was just crushing for his dreams to be shattered that's all...

Well, if he has the drive and determination, then the usual ways will work just as well. As for improving his ranting by around 5 or more, well, that seems like some promise.....Still, I guess they have to say that for £10,000 a year lol 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »