Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Kyle Edmund 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Kyle Edmund

(Read 4113 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 07:27 PM »

Well done Kyle!

Steven ‏@GBtennis 1m
Vero Beach ctd: In the Final tomorrow, Kyle will play former world no. 108 (in 2010) Carsten Ball AUS WR 765
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 07:31 PM »

Steven‏@GBtennis1m
On the day @JamesWardtennis plays his 2nd clay Challenger Final, the guy he beat in his 1st will be @kyle8edmund's oppo in a clay Fut. Final
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 02:25 AM »

Kyle is with Greg Rusedski this week and will be again next week. Brief piece on him by a former USTA Davis Cup coach:

http://www.worldtennismagazine.com/archives/9227

Apparently possesses a 'massive forehand'.

'"I’ve hit with Andy,” said Edmund. “He’s been really good when he is back in the UK and he is looking for someone to hit with. He’s asked me a few times, which has been great for me. A really nice experience to hit with him. It’s just all about taking in as much information as you can from him. He’s been through all of this. He knows what it takes to get to the top, so to hit with him is a good thing.”'
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 05:42 PM »

^^ Nice to read that, thanks.

In the Vero Beach Final, Kyle takes 1st set 6-3 v Carsten Ball. Took the one and only break point in the first set.

And breaks again to lead 1-0 in the second

....and wins 6-3 6-2. Impressive.
[ Last edit by Elena May 05, 2013, 06:06 PM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 06:34 PM »

From the ever helpful Steven ‏@GBtennis:

Vero Beach ctd: As a result of this week's win, @kyle8edmund will enter the top 500 with room to spare on Monday week, at around WR 450

Vero Beach ctd: Worth mentioning too that Kyle didn't drop a set (and lost just 29 games) all week
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 07:42 PM »

Wow, that is some result against a guy who, on his game, is a top 200 player. A fantastic tournament from Kyle from start to finish.

For some reason I can't locate the actual IMG URL for this pic:

http://instagram.com/p/Y8I9qCAvzf

I think he'll overtake Golding now as well.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 12:49 AM »

Young Kyle Edmund May Provide Glimpse of the Future of British Tennis

VERO BEACH, Fla. — Kyle Edmund gave the nearly 300 fans watching Sunday’s singles final of the $10,000 SorensenRealEstate.com USTA Futures of Vero Beach a glimpse of what the next generation of British may look like.

The 18-year-old won his second career singles title on the entry-level “Futures” tier of pro tennis with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Carsten Ball of Australia at The Boulevard Club in this central Florida coastal town.

Ball, a veteran professional who lost to Sam Querrey in the final of the ATP tour event in Los Angeles in 2010, was hobbled by a right knee injury in the final, causing him to default the doubles final, but it didn’t take away from the solid play all week from Edmund. The young, fair-skinned Brit did not lose a set in his five singles matches and should sneak into a new career high ATP ranking inside the top 500 with his singles victory.

“I’ve played well all week and in a lot of different conditions each day,” said Edmund. “It was windy one day, wet another, hot and dry another. I lost early in the last two tournaments, so I had eight or nine days off where I just had to get my head down and train. Training is tough sometimes but when you have days like this, it’s all worth it.”

While British players will usually be better fast court players, having grown up on fast indoor courts or grass, Edmund said he prefers the clay and will next set his sights on winning the French Open juniors in four weeks time.

“I really like clay a lot,” he said. “I’ve played on it a lot. As I have got older, I started to understand the court. It benefits my game being able to hit high balls, spin, kicking it up off the court, angles. Your shots get rewarded whatever shot you hit. I’ve got one more (clay court tournament) next week and then it’s the French Open. Being a Grand Slam on clay, I’d like to win the junior event.”

When asked if he felt he could win the French Open junior boys’ title, Edmund replied, “I’d like to think so. I have to focus on one match at a time. I’m feeling good. It’s about four weeks before the French so hopefully I can keep the ball rolling.”

Edmund was born in South Africa and moved to Britain when he was three and did not start playing tennis until he was 10. He recalled his first experience on clay being at about age 11, but it wasn’t until he played in many European tournaments in the 14-and-unders where he received extended exposure on the surface.

“It’s all about learning on this stuff,” he said of playing on clay. “You got to have an open mind and be patient and if it you are not willing to learn how good you are, you are going to get found out.”

During his semifinal and final matches in Vero Beach, Edmund was under the careful eye of former US Open singles finalist Greg Rusedski, who is working with Edmund for two events as part of his role as a coach with Britain’s Lawn Tennis Association and in the absence of Edmund’s full-time coach Colin Beecher. Rusedski shouted words of encouragement from behind The Boulevard’s Stadium Court, wrote notes in a paper binder and even took photos of Edmund during the post-match presentation from his mobile phone.

“He’s got a good attitude,” said Rusedski of Edmund. “He works hard. He’s got all the ingredients, so his future looks very bright.”

http://www.worldtennismagazine.com/archives/9234
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 06:41 PM »

Edged a very tight match 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 against a WC who was ranked top 500 in 2009 (before injuries) in Orange Park R1. Had MPs at 5-4 but his opponent held on. Full credit to Kyle to not dropping his head and breaking in the next game.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 12:42 AM »

Makes it 7 wins in a row with a tight 7-5, 6-7, 6-3 win over Eric Quigley.

Will face Mitchell Krueger in QFs. Only meeting on tour was the week Kyle won his first tournament. Also played an epic in Wimby juniors last year, Krueger edging it 10-8 in the third.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 08:30 PM »

I guess Kyle beat Krueger again:

Greg Rusedski‏@GregRusedski11h
@kyle8edmund into semifinals of 2nd future event, on 8 match win streak playing great. Keep the roll going

Brilliant run this. Will rise into 430s at least a week Monday (450s on Monday).
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 07:34 AM »

That's terrific. Look forward to his rise and seeing him play  clap clap
As Greg's coaching him, bet he has a terrific serve. 
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 12:15 PM »

Finally lost 2&3 to Gerald Melzer (brother of Jurgen) who is in great form himself - up to a new career high in the top 240 and has never lost in this tournament, playing in his third year here.

Kyle was defending 2 points from this time last year, so will 'only' rise to 440s.

He plans to play Roland Garros juniors at the end of this month. Not sure where's he playing between then and now.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 09:41 AM »

Steven ‏@GBtennis
New career highs are led by @kyle8edmund, who breaks into the top 500 for the first time, rising 58 places to 453

So @kyle8edmund makes top 500 at 18y4m, just 2mths older than @GregRusedski1 (18/2) (cf Andy 17/3, Evo 18/5, Oli 18/7, Tim 19/1, Wardy 21/1)
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 11:28 AM »

Well done him yay
But just lok at our teenage prodigy wub
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Kyle Edmund « Reply #29 on: June 02, 2013, 04:29 PM »

Seeded 5 in the French Open juniors this week. Got a tough first round draw against Elias Ymer (reached his first Futures final earlier this year) but edged it 6-2, 6-7(5), 7-5.

Avoids Kyrgios' half of the draw, but that means he's in Quinzi's instead (arguably the most accomplished clay player in the juniors). With Garin, Milojevic, Coric and Zverev all involved there are so many juniors this year who have already made substantial progress on the main tour.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »