Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg!

(Read 1289 times)
nestingus
Satellite Level

Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « on: October 20, 2008, 12:41 PM »

She is playing in her WTA event ever later today and comes up against the Czech Iveta Benesova who currently lies outside the top 100 but has made it as high as 25 back in 2005. Shouls be interesting. You would expect a thrashing but you never know with some of the upsets on the WTA tour this year.

Draw - http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/includes/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/global/Pdfs/events/2008/luxembourg_draws.pdf

Keep up with live score!

IP Logged
nestingus
Satellite Level

Re: Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:22 PM »

Looks like they are playing tomorrow actually...
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 04:12 PM »

C'mon Laura, hope she can run her close, maybe even grab a set. Smile
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 07:58 AM »

She on at 11:30am. Smile
IP Logged
nestingus
Satellite Level

Re: Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 01:32 PM »

Jolly good effort if you ask me! Eventually went down 1-6 6-2 6-3 but taking a set is a sure positive!
IP Logged
charlienomad
Seed

Re: Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 01:39 PM »

Jolly good effort if you ask me! Eventually went down 1-6 6-2 6-3 but taking a set is a sure positive!

Especially against a top-50 experienced left-hander who is 11 years her senior Very Happy
IP Logged
nestingus
Satellite Level

Re: Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 02:00 PM »

Very promising indeed. I think we will see that ranking of 550 something rising at a nice steady pace over the next year or so.

I still can't believe she is only 14!
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 04:12 PM »

Looks like Benesova had a shocking first set but got back to her more normal self in next two.

Decent debut, looks like a consistant performance despite the score line Think, but Benesova too strong in the 2nd and 3rd.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 09:41 PM »

BBC Interview: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7682651.stm

Laura's next senior tournament is $10k in Sunderland in a few weeks. She looks like she'll be seeded 6.
IP Logged
nestingus
Satellite Level

Re: Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 10:03 PM »

Nice, will have to keep tabs on her progress! Smile
IP Logged
FELIX
Junior

Re: Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 01:05 AM »

BBC Interview: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7682651.stm

Laura's next senior tournament is $10k in Sunderland in a few weeks. She looks like she'll be seeded 6.

Laura said on TV that "everyone had been so nice to her" (take it she meant the other players).
Just wait till she starts beating the pants off them  - quite soon methinks  -  this   welcome  will become   ignore
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 06:49 PM »

Yeah, Federer was so complimentary of Murray in the past but once Murray beat him suddenly Federer has a lot of criticism to get off his chest! roflmao
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 06:57 PM »

He he.... Human nature at it's best!  Off topic a wee bit, but I've noticed the difference in Andy when he beats the like of Fed now... his head stays up... it's obviously feeling 'right' for him now, whereas a while ago it always looked as if he was faintly embarrassed by the win.  Speaks volumes for him as a person.

I really hope Laura Robson can fulfil her obvious potential.  I believe she will, barring injury or any other unknown entities.  She seems like a very determined and focused young lady!  
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 06:59 PM »

Yeah, I hate how he so often lets his head hang in shame after a victory, such a strange reaction.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Laura Robson gains a wildcard into Luxemburg! « Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 07:10 PM »

Lack of self esteem at his core I believe.  But it's defs getting better!  I know it sounds daft, but a lot of Scottish people are brought up to mind and not get too above themselves.... it's our culture.  I think Andy has had to battle that.  And not that it's anything enforced by his parents.... just a cultural thing that exists.  I may, of course, be speaking total pish!  A poem by Kathleen Jamie 'The Queen of Sheba' sums up the Scottish condition nicely...
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »