Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Laura Robson 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 110 Go Down Reply
Author

Laura Robson

(Read 38757 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Laura Robson « on: July 03, 2008, 04:41 PM »

She looks an awesome talent, 14 and in the semis of the girls singles. Smile

Mod NoticeSplit posts from "The Other Brits : Women" thread. It's worth having a thread dedicated to her.
[ Last edit by Allan July 04, 2008, 09:27 AM ] IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Laura Robson « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 06:42 PM »

14 is good for juniors.  Aren't the other girls like 17?
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Laura Robson « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:49 PM »

That's very good! She hasn't even started playing ITF pro events though, which is a bit odd.
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Laura Robson « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:41 PM »

There's some sort of quota on the number of events she can play given her age, but she says she will start playing proper tournaments at the end of this year.  Also the winners of the Juniors get a WC to the Main Draw next year, so she could possibly be playing Wimbledon at 15.
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Laura Robson « Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 01:37 AM »

That would be cool. I knew about the quota, but it's like 4 WTA events, and I'm not sure how many ITF events, she could have been playing Futures this whole time... Maybe she didn't think it was worth the practice... Did you read an interview somewhere? Could you link me?
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 10:38 AM »

Managed to watch the whole match her match yesterday and she was great at coming from a break down in each set.  clap  

The only thing that I noticed that possible went wrong for her was too many double faults. Although I think that nerves were mainly to blame for that.

InterviewJust been reading some articles about her and because she's used up her quota she'll not be playing in the US Open juniors. lol
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 10:41 AM »

What's the quota for, so she can still concentrate on her basic education? Or that her body is not ready for dealing with the schedule?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 10:42 AM »

Aaaaagh! Just discovered she's bloody Australian. Moved here when she was six. Parents, cousins all Aussies. They've even competed for Oz at kayaking and the like. There's a feature on her in the Daily Mail today.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 10:53 AM »

Ah that sucks Frown
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 10:55 AM »

Aaaaagh! Just discovered she's bloody Australian. Moved here when she was six. Parents, cousins all Aussies. They've even competed for Oz at kayaking and the like. There's a feature on her in the Daily Mail today.

Sort of irrelevant.  She developed as a tennis player here, not in Australia.  Does she consider herself English (or British) or Australian?
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 11:06 AM »

Well she doesn't have an Aussie accent, so at least she sounds English.  I think the quota is to prevent burnout of the younger players who join the tour to early.  It's not necessary for the men's game as it is more about power so 14 year olds are less likely to succeed.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 11:08 AM »

And her father is British.  Parentage counts for more than place of birth.  

She was born in Australia while her father was working there.  She has spent more time in Britain and her game developed in Britain.  Plus, she considers herself British (English, most likely).  So yeah, Britain has a far bigger claim to her, even if she was neutral on her nationality.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 11:10 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-1031674/On-course-place-elite-rising-star-Laura-Robson-lives-hype.html
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 11:16 AM »

Ha-ha! Just checked that Mail link. They've rewritten the article from earlier in the day to take out much of the Aussie stuff. The only bit remaining is 'her Australian parents'. The earlier version was full of it. Born in Melbourne, moved to Singapore, then to Britain at 6, cousin has represented Australia at kayaking.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 11:21 AM »

Ha-ha! Just checked that Mail link. They've rewritten the article from earlier in the day to take out much of the Aussie stuff. The only bit remaining is 'her Australian parents'. The earlier version was full of it. Born in Melbourne, moved to Singapore, then to Britain at 6, cousin has represented Australia at kayaking.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/07/04/stlaur104.xml

Says her father is British.  I'd trust the Telegraph.  Besides, I'm not even sure she could represent Britain unless he was British.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 110 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »