Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Laura Robson 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 ... 110 Go Down Reply
Author

Laura Robson

(Read 37046 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #840 on: September 22, 2012, 02:59 PM »

I've just read through the comments on this match and had a strong sense of deja vu!   Disappointing that Laura didn't win but she's only 18 and has plenty of time to work on her game and increase her mental strength.  The desire to win is there and, with her talent, I have no doubt at all that she has the makings of a champion.
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #841 on: September 22, 2012, 03:11 PM »

Have been keeping my eye on Laura since she first came on the scene. Is definitely made of the same stuff as our Andy! Unlucky but we'll done on reaching the final.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #842 on: September 22, 2012, 03:14 PM »

Well done Laura for getting to the final.  It looks like they have started on Laura as they did with Andy.  'We still have to wait for a WTA win as we have not had one since 1988.'  I just wish they would leave them alone and not put on this pressure.  

I've just read through the comments on this match and had a strong sense of deja vu!   Disappointing that Laura didn't win but she's only 18 and has plenty of time to work on her game and increase her mental strength.  The desire to win is there and, with her talent, I have no doubt at all that she has the makings of a champion.

Wasn't able to see any of the match but agree completely with both your posts and also teejay's. Hopefully Laura will rise above the media pressure. I think I've said already on this thread that I was very impressed with what I saw of her USO campaign. She's an exciting prospect.
IP Logged
marg
Junior

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #843 on: September 22, 2012, 03:21 PM »

Just watched matched I had recorded from earlier.  laura did really well-she should be very proud of herself.  Hope people do not put pressure on her like Andy.  Would not mind if she won Wimledon though and pushed Wadeyknickers off her pedestal.  Can't abide that woman
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #844 on: September 22, 2012, 03:32 PM »

Just watched matched I had recorded from earlier.  laura did really well-she should be very proud of herself.  Hope people do not put pressure on her like Andy.  Would not mind if she won Wimledon though and pushed Wadeyknickers off her pedestal.  Can't abide that woman

I'd like Andy to win the Men's first, because that would annoy Ms. Wade more, and then Laura at some point in the future, but no pressure, when she's ready will do.

Wadeyknickers, I like that lol. I'd still love to know what she thinks of Andy winning the US!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #845 on: September 22, 2012, 03:48 PM »

The pressure is going to be inevitable.  "No British woman has won Wimbledon since Virginia Wade in 1977" will be the chant.  35 years and counting.  Fortunately I think Andy will be only too happy to help Laura deal with such expectation, and with any luck Laura might win a different Slam quite early in her career which will take some of that pressure off her.

Let's not forget about Heather Watson though.  Even although I don't regard her as being as an exciting prospect as Laura is, she too has the potential to go far.     
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #846 on: September 22, 2012, 06:10 PM »

Talking of Heather, she beat the 62 ranked Hladeckova in the final round of qualifying today to qualify for Tokyo. Smile

Also Dom Inglot playing Singles this week - into the final round of Q after taking out someone in the 500's.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #847 on: September 22, 2012, 06:13 PM »

I'd like Andy to win the Men's first, because that would annoy Ms. Wade more, and then Laura at some point in the future, but no pressure, when she's ready will do.

Wadeyknickers, I like that lol. I'd still love to know what she thinks of Andy winning the US!

Wade ~ Andy Murray won the USO.  puh...  lease  I won Wimbledon back in the good old days.  I win.  back in my day there were no such thing as drama queens.      back in my day I was the queen.  I was the fashionista. stuff Shriekapova,  Stuff Serena.  I could take them all on,  any day.  BRING IT ON.    I was Britain's first ever love.  Of course there was no Federer,  which disappointed me.   
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #848 on: September 22, 2012, 06:41 PM »

Talking of Heather, she beat the 62 ranked Hladeckova in the final round of qualifying today to qualify for Tokyo. Smile

Also Dom Inglot playing Singles this week - into the final round of Q after taking out someone in the 500's.
That's good to hear  Smile

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #849 on: September 22, 2012, 06:47 PM »

Wade ~ Andy Murray won the USO.  puh...  lease  I won Wimbledon back in the good old days.  I win.  back in my day there were no such thing as drama queens.      back in my day I was the queen.  I was the fashionista. stuff Shriekapova,  Stuff Serena.  I could take them all on,  any day.  BRING IT ON.    I was Britain's first ever love.  Of course there was no Federer,  which disappointed me.   

LOL. You forgot that they all wore long trousers and served under arm in her day, oh, and the racquets were wooden, and they kept score on a piece of slate lol.

I think this thing she's got for Fed is a bit creepy!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #850 on: September 22, 2012, 07:08 PM »

I think Laura did really well to hold it together as she did considering it was her first final.  Experience told in the end but next time Laura will have this experience to call on.
IP Logged
Tonedial
Challenger Level

WORTH THE WAIT

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #851 on: September 22, 2012, 08:00 PM »

the final

IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #852 on: September 22, 2012, 08:26 PM »

.There were some really nasty anti-Laura comments on the screen beside my live stream.  Trolls I'm sure but I can't believe that anyone could be so vitriolic about an 18 year old in their first final.  I really hope Laura isn't going to have to suffer the same level of hate as Andy has but then perhaps it just goes with the territory.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #853 on: September 22, 2012, 08:32 PM »

Alis, expect u were watching "sportlemon" or "livescorehunter"?
The comments about all the players are something else and best taken with a pinch of salt.
In fact Serena gets the worst abuse shocking
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #854 on: September 22, 2012, 09:11 PM »

You're right bbh - it was 'sportlemon' I was watching.  I found the comments so upsetting that I turned them off.  One of the most vitriolic purported to be the German tennis player Mona Barthel, although I'm pretty sure that it wasn't her.  How are people allowed to get away with this?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 ... 110 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »