Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Laura Robson 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 ... 110 Go Down Reply
Author

Laura Robson

(Read 42440 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #855 on: September 22, 2012, 09:25 PM »

I watched it. I think she did really well. Equally I think she will be better not to get too much too soon. There will be less presure from some sectors of the Great British Public. She is only 18, and has made giant steps this year, with her silver medal, major scalps at the USO, and getting to her first final. She also has got a load of ranking points.  She is building a good foundation to build upon. Also I think she and Heather Watson will be better keeping apace for a while. They can support each other, which is more than poor Mr M has had. It's scary that after him the next highest ranked male player is not even in the top 200.
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #856 on: September 22, 2012, 09:41 PM »

I've just read through the comments on this match and had a strong sense of deja vu!   Disappointing that Laura didn't win but she's only 18 and has plenty of time to work on her game and increase her mental strength.  The desire to win is there and, with her talent, I have no doubt at all that she has the makings of a champion.

Lets hope we dont have to wait as long as with Andy.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #857 on: September 22, 2012, 10:42 PM »

The desire to win is there certainly but I don't think the focus and intensity is anywhere near that of top players. And I wouldn't say she played well in that final at all, in fact I was saying it's the worst I've ever seen her play in some spells there. The unforced error count was way too high and her serving was dreadful all the way through, if you ask Laura herself I think you'll find that she would admit to playing rather badly.

And I'm not being down on her here, I love Laura but there's no point in not being honest about how she was playing. The problem with Laura still is that she goes into her head too much and starts thinking negatively when things start going wrong with her technique and you just can't afford to do that because you lose focus on the match and your serving will stay inconsistent while you're in that mindset.

I actually question whether she will be able to ever get fully over that mindset and become a properly consistent player on tour, I just don't see it happening with her to be honest. I have that same mindset myself when I play which is why I am saying all this because and I just see the same thing in her. The desire to win is there but the consistency and focus can just drop when you're playing and it's extremely hard to train something like that out of yourself because it's a natural reaction in the situation.

Having said all this though, it not necessarily the most important thing in the world to be a fully consistent player. Since I expect she will go through some full tournaments and longer spells just playing well and not running into this issue and when she does she is capable enough to win. She nearly did in this tournament but it was unfortunate that this problem hit her right at the wrong time in the final. So I think she will manage to get a couple of titles under her belt in the future and possibly a slam even.

The women's game isn't anything near the same as the mens, there isn't 4 guys right there at the top that are ultra-impossible to get through, Serena is the only one at the moment and she is getting older now so she won't be an issue forever. You go lower down the rankings and the depth in quality of the rest of the field doesn't exist in the same way it does in the mens game either. Also the fact that the slam matches are only best of 3 sets makes a huge difference, there's a lot less time on the court for the women players so there's a much greater probability of being able to get through a tournament by just finding a hot streak all the way through it.
[ Last edit by laundry September 22, 2012, 10:49 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #858 on: September 23, 2012, 12:12 AM »

Surely as it was Laura's first WTA final she was bound to be nervous and make mistakes?  Hopefully next time round she might have a bit more confidence.

You refer to her mindset, inconsistency and drop of focus.  I seem to recall the same things being applied to Andy until fairly recently, and even now there's room for improvement.  Also she does show a lot of frustration just as Andy did but, again, that's something he's being getting on top of.  I don't know anything about her coaching situation, but I'd hope that she will find one who can work on these things with her.  She's only 18 so a lot of things might sort themselves as she grows in maturity.  I'd say the best time to judge her is in, say, three years' time.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #859 on: September 23, 2012, 01:17 AM »

It didn't look like nerves to me at all this time, I've seen her suffer with them in past games but her composure seemed rather well here which was actually good to see. It was her serving technique that just completely went, and the technique on some of her ground-strokes at the back of the court as well then she got frustrated from this and lost focus which caused her to make some bad misses and tactical decisions at times.

I've never seen Andy play anywhere near that badly, usually it's his head that goes first then his strokes that follow. And he's so technically smart he usually identifies what the issues are with his technique mid-match if he is having any. I don't think Laura possesses that same kind of gift as Andy does, she's not as tennis smart as he is. If her technique goes mid-match she's pretty screwed and just had to hope it comes back again, but still what she can learn to do is keep completely focused and not get annoyed even if she does lose her technique. Laura could have won that match even not being able to serve if she hadn't had lost focus and made some of those careless mistakes.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #860 on: September 23, 2012, 06:31 AM »

@laundry
I think you're being a tad harsh a) only 18 b) first final
Andy has certainly changed his negative on court mind set, don't see why Laura can't.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #861 on: September 23, 2012, 07:40 AM »

@laundry
I think you're being a tad harsh a) only 18 b) first final
Andy has certainly changed his negative on court mind set, don't see why Laura can't.

Yep, at the age of 18 she is pretty much in a good place right now. Will definitely come up and feel that she will be a better player than Heather Watson for some reason.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #862 on: September 23, 2012, 07:41 AM »

Love Heather. Such a gr8 mover, so gutsy. Alas, unlike Laura, no "killer" shot yet.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #863 on: September 23, 2012, 07:45 AM »

Yeah I agree in the 'great mover part' but Laura seems to be the one who would be for the longer run...
Anyways, lovely pic of hers which I wanted to post  w00t

IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #864 on: September 23, 2012, 08:47 AM »

Wow! Very glam thumb up
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #865 on: September 23, 2012, 09:30 AM »

Laura did very well in her first final.

I like the way she maintained focus to come back from 5 championship points in the second set and won 6+ games from 3-5 down even though she felt very tired and tried to finish the points quickly.

With more fitness and better movement, she will become more consistent and the first WTA title is surely not far away. I see that she likes to work with Jez Green on her fitness + movement and likes to absorb knowledge from Team Murray especially during this year Wim + Olympic period and we have seen the fruits of her labour. A shame that they are competing in different tournaments so less chance for her to gain more knowledge.  Nothing beats winning. Just being near Andy and the winning mentality combined with rigorous training method leaving no stone unturned is a fast track way to success ! This all started with the Hopman cup. I wonder whose idea this was.

It would be interesting if she asks to join Team Murray for the end of season training in Miami. I think it will greatly benefit her.

Poor Heather must be green with envy at the great relationship Laura has with Andy and his team.
[ Last edit by Philip September 23, 2012, 09:37 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #866 on: September 23, 2012, 05:30 PM »

Yeah I agree in the 'great mover part' but Laura seems to be the one who would be for the longer run...
Anyways, lovely pic of hers which I wanted to post  w00t

Beautiful.  Makes her look a little older than her age.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #867 on: September 23, 2012, 05:37 PM »

Beautiful.  Makes her look a little older than her age.

I have always felt she looks more than her age...but no matter what, she looks very beautiful.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #868 on: September 23, 2012, 10:15 PM »

I'm not basing this just on that final, I have been following Laura for a while now. I'm not exactly under-selling her here, I said I think she will improve to near the same level as the top players and when she's in form she will be able to beat any of them on her day.

All I am saying is that I don't think she will be like Andy; I don't think she will be consistently in the top 4 for years and get to the later stages of every slam because I don't believe she will be consistent enough to manage that. I'm not being harsh here, I'm just being realistic about her overall play. I think I have been positive enough about her future in believing she can win some title and get to the level to take a slam one year, that in itself is enough of an incredible achievement which I'm sure she would be happy to take right now given the offer.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #869 on: September 23, 2012, 10:44 PM »

I still believe that Heather Watson is the bigger talent. I think Laura's done well, but I think she's still pumped from the Olympics. I suspect it might wear off.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 ... 110 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »