Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Laura Robson 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 ... 110 Go Down Reply
Author

Laura Robson

(Read 36065 times)
Philip
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #870 on: September 24, 2012, 07:41 AM »

I think it is more than that.

1. The fitness training with Jez allows Laura to stay in the rally longer
2. Her new coach is giving her wise advice on when to be patient and when to pull the trigger when the odds are more in her favour.

I think the new higher level is here to stay. You don't beat 3 top 10 seeded players in a week running on pure confidence. She is no Rosol.
[ Last edit by Philip September 24, 2012, 09:04 PM ] IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #871 on: September 24, 2012, 08:56 AM »

I still believe that Heather Watson is the bigger talent. I think Laura's done well, but I think she's still pumped from the Olympics. I suspect it might wear off.
Good start from Heather in Tokyo but nightmare draw.  Even if she can beat Lisicki there's Sharapova to follow.  Doesn't look like Laura's playing so she'll lose some ranking points from last year.
[ Last edit by Mackem September 24, 2012, 09:03 AM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #872 on: September 24, 2012, 09:36 AM »

Good start from Heather in Tokyo but nightmare draw.  Even if she can beat Lisicki there's Sharapova to follow.  Doesn't look like Laura's playing so she'll lose some ranking points from last year.
Her final coincided with the Tokyo qualifying so she had to withdraw.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #873 on: September 24, 2012, 09:37 AM »

2. Her new coach is giving her wise advice on when to be patient and when to pull the trigger when the odds are more in her favour.

I think the new higher level is here to stay. You don't beat 3 top 10 players in a week running on pure confidence. She is no Rosol.

Do you mean three seeded players? unsure

Only top 10 player she has beaten is Li Na to my recollection.

But I agree with your post.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #874 on: September 24, 2012, 09:54 AM »

This was at the bottom of the front page of the Sports section in yesterday's Observer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/sep/22/laura-robson-tennis-wta-final

and this took up most of the back page - though under a different headline: "Weary Robson serves notice"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/sep/22/laura-robson-guangzhou-open-final

There was also a round up of her successes this year.

Unusual to get so much tennis unless Andy is in a slam!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #875 on: September 24, 2012, 10:44 AM »

Her final coincided with the Tokyo qualifying so she had to withdraw.

I was about to say exactly that. Thanks TMH.

The good news is that Heather Watson has beaten Sabine Lisicki in straight sets to go through to the second round in Tokyo. I didn't see it, so I can't comment on the match, but a fantastic result for Heather all the same.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #876 on: September 24, 2012, 11:14 AM »

I think the new higher level is here to stay. You don't beat 3 top 10 players in a week running on pure confidence. She is no Rosol.

I agree completely. Laura has had potential since she won junior Wimbledon at 14. It was obvious then that with better movement she was going to be one heck of a player.

Of course, Laura still has room for improvement. Her first serve could probably be better. She reminds me of Andy in that sense, when her first serve goes in it is a good weapon, but it can break down when she needs it. Her movement could also be better still, but she is going the right way about it now.

Heather is going to be fantastic too, without a doubt. I do wonder if her height might be a problem for her, and she does need some bigger shots, but I'm sure it will come.

I think these two are lucky in the sense that they have each other to compete with. Chasing one abother up the rankings will be good for them both.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #877 on: September 24, 2012, 11:51 AM »

A great result for Heather  - Lisicki is quite a scalp.  She has a difficult draw though - whe has Sharapova in the next round.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #878 on: September 24, 2012, 12:36 PM »

I still believe that Heather Watson is the bigger talent. I think Laura's done well, but I think she's still pumped from the Olympics. I suspect it might wear off.

As if on cue. Thanks, Heather.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #879 on: September 24, 2012, 12:39 PM »

I think they are both very talented although very different.  We should be grateful that we have two girls that are doing so well, plus Johanna Konta of course.  I believe there are also some very good girls coming up through the juniors, so hopefully we will have someone to cheer once Andy retires!
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #880 on: September 24, 2012, 12:55 PM »

I like Heather  but she doesn't have the power in her groundies and that killer shot to blow the big power players off the court.  She effectively is a counter puncher.  Doesn't hit a lot of winners.  Her serve is decent but she doesn't get many free points on her serve.  Her 2nd serve needs to improve.  She is consistent but struggles to move  her opponent  around  the court.   She will get so many balls back into court, Terrific mover - but like I said she can't hurt you with her groundies.
Laura on the other hand, in contrast has so much power - so aggressive.    very intense.  Her FH is amazing when it is on form .One day she will play magnificently,  just like at the USO then the next day she will play horribly.   Very little margin for error in her shots.   I think Laura struggles with her serve sometimes- just like Heather.   She makes so many double faults. She goes for too much on her 2nd serve.  Her serve though is impressive some days and she can hit some aces now and again.  Laura's movement has improved no doubt about that  but it is still a weakness in her game
The big difference I feel between these players is I feel like Laura can beat the very high ranked players  because she can use her power game to blow someone off the court - she can use the angles,  she can move her opponent around the court.  She can get free points on her serve.  Watson on the other hand I feel she can't do this -  She will find it very difficult to beat a high ranked player because she can't do all those things consistently like Laura does.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #881 on: September 24, 2012, 05:08 PM »

This is an interesting debate. On the one hand you have Heather who is an extremely talented "touch" player with a very varied game. On the other you have Laura who has less of an all round game but has a very powerful forehand and gr8 serve, when firing.
In the modern women's game one assumes Laura will do better.
I'm thinking of Radwanska here, who, IMHO, is the most talented woman playing at the mo. But can she beat Serena/Vic/Maria on a regular basis, probably not Frown
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #882 on: September 24, 2012, 07:22 PM »

Thanks Philip.  Very interesting that her fitness training is being undertaken by Jez Green.  Look what he's done for Andy!  Also hew new coach Zeljko Krajan took over coaching Dinara Safina at the end of 2007 when she was at a psychologically low point in her career and helped her regain her confidence.  Safina described him as "totally different from any other tennis coach because of his patience and positive approach, rather than being preoccupied with correcting flaws in her game." [Krajan's Wiki]

Laura Robson targets a place in the top fifty of the world rankings  [BBC Sport, 22 Sept]

Laura Robson aims to build on her first appearance in a WTA singles
final by targeting a place in the top 50 of the world rankings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/19687453

IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #883 on: September 24, 2012, 07:33 PM »

This is an interesting debate. On the one hand you have Heather who is an extremely talented "touch" player with a very varied game. On the other you have Laura who has less of an all round game but has a very powerful forehand and gr8 serve, when firing.
In the modern women's game one assumes Laura will do better.
I'm thinking of Radwanska here, who, IMHO, is the most talented woman playing at the mo. But can she beat Serena/Vic/Maria on a regular basis, probably not Frown

I agree with you about Radwanska.  I really enjoy watching her because she has such a varied game - a bit like a female Andy without the power.  She does find it difficult against the power players though, although she did manage to take a set off Serena in the final at Wimbledon.  

If we could combine Heather and Laura into one player we would have a world beater!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #884 on: September 24, 2012, 07:38 PM »

If we could combine Heather and Laura into one player we would have a world beater!
What if that combination was a fairly slow mover without any major weapons? Think
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 ... 110 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »