Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Laura Robson 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 ... 110 Go Down Reply
Author

Laura Robson

(Read 42528 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #945 on: October 11, 2012, 08:34 PM »

Hi Ruthie and all,

I agree, I think it's great for them both that they are doing so well. A bit of friendly competition will surely be good for both of them in the years ahead.

It's good to see that they seem to be spurring each other onwards and upwards. I think it also puts in to context how Andy has done so well, up there on his own as the top male British player. As Laura and Heather go through the rankings, they will hopefully continue to push each other to greater heights. Andy has had to get there on his own in many respects.

It's good to see Laura and Heather are on opposite sides of the draw in Osaka. An all Brit final would be great.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #946 on: October 11, 2012, 09:08 PM »

Hi Ruthie and all,

I agree, I think it's great for them both that they are doing so well. A bit of friendly competition will surely be good for both of them in the years ahead.

It's good to see that they seem to be spurring each other onwards and upwards. I think it also puts in to context how Andy has done so well, up there on his own as the top male British player. As Laura and Heather go through the rankings, they will hopefully continue to push each other to greater heights. Andy has had to get there on his own in many respects.

It's good to see Laura and Heather are on opposite sides of the draw in Osaka. An all Brit final would be great.
Very good point about how Andy has had to do it on his own in contrast to Laura and Heather tj.  It's good that he's made so many   genuine friendships with players from other countries but I guess it's not the same as having a friendly rival from your own country.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #947 on: October 11, 2012, 09:13 PM »

So wait,is Laura 51 or in the top 50?Slightly confused...still,either way,she is doing so,SO well-delighted for her!(and Heather too,she seems lovely,but I'm a bigger fan of Laura's).Hopefully she'll keep up the winning-it'd be a terrific end to the year for her,to end in the top 50 *fingers crossed*

And yeah,Ruthie,I agree completely-I think they'll definitely be spurred on by looking to the other,what with being so close in age and ranking (british rankings anyway-I know Laura's ahead of Heather now world ranking wise,I just don't know by how much).We can't know what'll happen in future,whether their abilities and successes will remain similar or whether one will outstrip the other or what,but if it continues this way it will be very interesting to see!

I also think it's lovely though,that they're able to be so friendly off-court.I know Heather was upset that Laura had been chosen to play with Andy in the Olympics ahead of her,and said so,but apart from that,off-court I've only ever seen friendship and fun between the two of them,and a great respect for the other's ability,and I think it's lovely to see.
At this precise moment she's at 50 but could rise or fall a few more places in the next few days depending how far she gets in Osaka and also how well some players do (who are just below her).
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #948 on: October 11, 2012, 09:43 PM »

Ok,thanks Mackem!Ooh,here's hoping it's a rise rather than a fall!

Ruthie,and Teejay,that's such a good point about Andy having to will himself there on his own-I've often admired him for it,but I've never thought about in comparison with Laura & Heather's rise together.Really shows you what he's made of!

Also agree with you about his friendships with players from other countries not being quite the same Ruthie-Laura and Heather are so close in terms of british ranking that if one let things slide,and the other didn't,they'd quite quickly overtake them,so it's an excellent motivator to keep doing well.(I know that to the players,their world ranking is more important,but I'm looking at in terms of being motivated to do well at all their events,as that is obviously what decides their rankings both in british terms and world-wide).

In terms of the friendship thing,I remember reading a piece a while back talking about how at tour events,players from the same countries could sometimes be a bit cliquey,and it was saying that it was often a bit awkward for Andy,especially when he was younger,being that he basically was the british contingent all by himself.

Now,mind you,I read this a while back,not this last year or anything,and it said it was more awkward when he was younger,so I'd hope that things are better these days in terms of that-he does seem to be very friendly with many of the players (In my mind,I wonder how anyone wouldn't want to be his friend,but then I guess I'm biased lol!).Still,it would make you appreciate the things he's had to get himself through to get to this point-and sure there's far worse things,but he's only human,and loneliness is tough!How lovely for Laura and Heather that they have each other at many of these events,and they do seem able to keep tennis and having fun off-court separate for the most part-I think we don't have to look any farther than the gangnam video to see that!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #949 on: October 11, 2012, 09:54 PM »

Wimbledon 2013 Final... Robson vs Watson.... unlikely to happen but we can dream.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #950 on: October 11, 2012, 10:02 PM »

Hmm...fingers crossed!Well,maybe not 2013-but definitely in the near future!(Am also hoping to see a certain Mr M starring in the '13 Wimby finals-just with a different outcome next time!My heart just about broke seeing him cry,and seeing Kim & Judy cry for him-don't think I could take that for a second time!Here's to victory Very Happy )
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #951 on: October 11, 2012, 10:58 PM »

Wimbledon 2013 Final... Robson vs Watson.... unlikely to happen but we can dream.
  Nice thought, Prodigy, but what are you drinking, old son?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #952 on: October 11, 2012, 11:00 PM »

Nothing... that's why I said unlikely to happen lol.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #953 on: October 11, 2012, 11:27 PM »

Unlikely might be a bit of an understatement.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #954 on: October 12, 2012, 07:52 AM »

Ah,we can still dream!And hopefully if they keep working hard and doing well,we might well see at least one of them,if not both as strong contenders at Wimbledon-okay,not in 2013,but within a few years.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #955 on: October 12, 2012, 08:44 AM »

Sadly Laura lost the 3rd set tie break against Chang, who had knocked out 3rd seed Christina McHale in the first round.

But Heather won her match against Pauline Parmentier so is through to the SFs and will play Doi (who knocked out 7th seed Chanelle Scheepers this morning).

So Sam Stosur is the only seed left in the last 4
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #956 on: October 12, 2012, 09:07 AM »

Damn,disappointed for Laura-really hoped she'd get the win.Yay for Heather though!!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #957 on: October 21, 2012, 01:48 AM »

Guys,posting this in the Heather and Laura threads as it confirms what we've been saying about the way each of their successes spurs the other on

Heather Watson admits that being overlooked by Andy Murray in favour of Laura Robson at the Olympics this summer helped her become the first British woman to win a WTA Tour title for 24 years.

Watson's friendly disposition masks a ruthless streak. And while her friendship with Robson has survived the frustration of not playing in the mixed doubles at the Olympics, in spite of having a higher doubles ranking, Watson used the experience to harden her.

'I wanted to play, it was the Olympics,' said Watson, whose triumph last weekend in the WTA tournament in Osaka, Japan, delivered British tennis another success story five weeks after Murray won the US Open championship.

'I think anyone in that position would have wanted that opportunity. But it was Andy's decision and he and Laura ended up winning a silver medal, and that was brilliant for the country.
'I was disappointed but it has made me stronger as a person, it's made me push harder.'

In Murray's defence, he was placed in an invidious position at the Olympics at Wimbledon.

Both women had a case to be co-opted by Murray; but his choice was coloured by the fact he had enjoyed a winning partnership with Robson in an Australian exhibition tournament.

At 20, Watson has risen this week to No 50 in the world, two places above Robson, who is two years younger.

Watson said: 'Off the court we are good friends but when it comes to the crunch, we are competitive. We are not going to be friends when we're playing. This is our job. At tournaments Laura will be with her team and I'll be with mine.'

Last month Robson missed her own chance to win a WTA title, when she was narrowly defeated by Su-Wei Hsieh in a final in Guangzhou, China.

'Knowing Laura got to a WTA final and didn't win, as soon as I got to that final I wanted to win so badly,' said Watson, who is having some rare time with parents Michelle and Ian at home in Guernsey.

'I always look to see how Laura is doing and she has been stronger since the Olympics, too. If she does well, I want to do better. It's very good that we push each other along.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2220739/Heather-Watson-hurt-Andy-Murray-Olympics-snub.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #958 on: October 21, 2012, 12:50 PM »

Hi All,

That, in a nutshell, is why I suspect Laura and Heather have got bright futures ahead. They will be motivated by each others success and it will push them on. I'm not suggesting they will be major winners, who knows if that will happen, but I do think they will both have strong careers.

It's nice that they are friendly towards one another off court, but good to know that stops on the court. It shows they are made of the right stuff.

It was great to hear of Heather getting her first title. Laura got so close the other week, I'm sure her time is not far off.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #959 on: November 16, 2012, 09:19 AM »

Guys,there were several articles like this that are all very similar,with Laura saying lots of the same things in most of them,so I'm only putting one down here,but I'll put the links to the others too,at the bottom,because they're all interesting reads if anyone wants to,and they do say some different things to each other,I just didn't reckon it was worth putting them all down! Very Happy

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/robsons-reward-for-a-remarkable-year-is-real-test-of-her-resolve-8320610.html
Robson's reward for a remarkable year is real test of her resolve

Teenager finds step up in training intensity tough after glory of her Olympic silver medal

The "Olympic shelf" in her bedroom, with her silver medal from London occupying pride of place, is a constant reminder of one of Laura Robson's greatest ambitions. "I've already got Rio in the back of my mind," the 18-year-old said yesterday when asked about her next targets. "I'm just a massive Olympics person. My main goal for the last few years was just to play in this year's Olympics. I got a silver medal out of that, so hopefully in Rio I can go one better."

Robson, who said an Olympic gold would be on a par with winning Wimbledon, has had a remarkable year, having beaten two Grand Slam champions at the US Open (Kim Clijsters and Li Na), becoming the first British woman to reach a singles final on the main tour for 22 years and climbing to No 53 in the world rankings. However, she chooses an Olympic defeat, on Centre Court against Maria Sharapova, as her most memorable moment.

"They had closed the roof so it was already super-loud inside," Robson recalled. "I sat down at a change of ends towards the end of the first set and everyone started chanting: 'Laura!' I had goosebumps. I was getting super- emotional because it was the coolest thing ever. That made the whole year for me."

Robson took the silver medal that she won in the mixed doubles alongside Andy Murray to show a local brownie pack but said the girls had been more interested in her Olympic pins. The medal generally stays at home "because I feel a bit self-conscious wearing it around my neck". Robson confessed that she had lost it momentarily the day after the Olympic final, having left it in a buggy as she was transported between TV studios.

Had playing with Murray been intimidating? "No, it was a lot of fun," she said. "He's very encouraging. I always felt really bad if I missed a shot and he was like: 'No, it doesn't matter.' Then as soon as he missed a shot, he was like: 'Oh, I can't believe it!' He was very good to play with."

It was 8.30am when Robson sat down to talk at the National Tennis Centre at Roehampton yesterday, but this was a comparatively late start. With her first tournament of 2013, at Shenzhen in China, only a month and a half away and the Australian Open beginning in the middle of January, she is in the middle of a six-week training block which is more intensive than anything she has experienced before.

Robson has been working with her coach, Zeljko Krajan, who has brought in two more Croats as her fitness trainer and hitting partner. They will travel to Florida on Sunday to finish her winter training programme.

"It's been really tough so far and there's another month to go," Robson said. "I usually start at 7.45 or eight. I warm up until nine, then it's tennis from nine till 11, fitness from 11 to 12.30, warm up again at three, then tennis from 3.30 to 5.30.

"Then after tennis I'll either have another gym session or do recovery stuff. I've been doing ice baths every day – unfortunately. They're long days. I've been getting home very tired."

Robson, who is in bed by 9pm most nights, might have made even quicker progress in her career but for a succession of injuries – many associated with growing pains – in the years after her 2008 Wimbledon junior win. It was no coincidence that her impressive form this year coincided with her first injury-free spell of any length.

"Last year I went into the Australian Open with virtually no practice because I was on crutches until two or three weeks before," she explained. "This is basically the first full training block I will have done, because most of the time I've been injured at this time. By Australia I'm hoping to be super-fit."

Heather Watson, who reclaimed the British No 1 ranking from Robson with her triumph in the Japan Open in Osaka last month, has also been training at Roehampton. Robson said they remained friends as well as rivals. "I hope it stays the same and we always have a good time together," Robson said. "We're both competitive people. We always want do well, but we want each other to do well and if we both push on next year then that will be a really good thing."

Robson's rap: How Laura became an internet sensation

Laura Robson used her spare time while in Beijing last month to make a dance video which became an internet hit. Robson, with Heather Watson and Canadian Genie Bouchard, recorded her video of "Gangnam Style" by rapper Psy. It was edited by Robson and filmed at various Beijing locations. "The song was so popular at the time," Robson said. "We knew the dance, but we're not very good dancers..."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2233626/Laura-Robson-looks-stunning-year.html

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/tennis/robson-keen-to-emulate-andy-murray-in-more-ways-than-one.19435436

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/15/laura-robson-australian-open
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 ... 110 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »