Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Laura Robson 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 ... 110 Go Down Reply
Author

Laura Robson

(Read 40714 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1050 on: March 29, 2013, 06:00 PM »

Yeeeah,they won!Brilliant stuff,well done to them.Wish we'd had a stream.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1051 on: March 29, 2013, 06:01 PM »

Playing again now, up 4-2.

Really wish this match was televised. Seems ridiculous that I can stream Challenger doubles if I so wish, but not a Masters semi-final doubles.

Absolutely - David Law earlier:  Absolute thrashing. Quite a shame to look out and see all the TV cameras covered up

Brilliant result. They seem a great pair!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1052 on: March 29, 2013, 06:19 PM »

My love for Laura grows stronger each day.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1053 on: March 29, 2013, 06:27 PM »

I followed it on the ATP/WTA app. An impressive performance. It can only do her singles play good as well. Hopefully they can carry on as a team. On a seperate note does anyone know what went wrong with Neilson and Marray? Neilson is continuing to play doubles just with many different partners. I assume they fell out?
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1054 on: March 29, 2013, 06:49 PM »

I followed it on the ATP/WTA app. An impressive performance. It can only do her singles play good as well. Hopefully they can carry on as a team. On a seperate note does anyone know what went wrong with Neilson and Marray? Neilson is continuing to play doubles just with many different partners. I assume they fell out?

I'd noticed that too. Perhaps it was because Johnny had agreed to play with Colin while Ross is having his treatment. 
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1055 on: March 29, 2013, 06:51 PM »

They never  fell out. They split at the WTF and that was confirmed as Nielsen wanted to focus on his singles career.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1056 on: March 29, 2013, 06:55 PM »

They never  fell out. They split at the WTF and that was confirmed as Nielsen wanted to focus on his singles career.

I had read that, but Neilson's singles career is dire. He only occasionally makes it past qualifying, yet he is in the doubles semi, playing with Dimitrov. It just seems odd to me when they were so successful. I know Marray wanted to continue.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1057 on: March 29, 2013, 06:59 PM »

Wish we'd seen this!

DavidLaw ‏@DavidLawTennis
Raymond finished it with a backhand volley. They go out into the centre of the court for their practised celebration. Final on Sunday.

From a couple of days ago:

If you two go all the way here in Miami, have you thought of what your victory celebration would entail or would it be created spontaneously?
Raymond: Why do I feel like you would be more spontaneous? I would definitely be a planner, knowing me, but that’s just being old.
Robson: I would choke with the wave to the crowd thing.
Raymond: Like today?
Robson: Yeah. At the Olympics, Andy [Murray] forced me out there. So it’s better that you don’t do that.

More at http://www.sonyopentennis.com/News/Tennis/2013/Tournament/Robson-Raymond-QA.aspx
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1058 on: March 29, 2013, 07:10 PM »

IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1059 on: March 29, 2013, 07:47 PM »

Fabulous picture clap
 yay yay yay yay Laura...and Lisa of course
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1060 on: March 29, 2013, 10:21 PM »

“Clicking” Partnership: Laura Robson and Lisa Raymond Roll into Miami Doubles Final

Lisa Raymond nodded at her doubles partner, Laura Robson. Way to put the ball away.

The gesture seemed parental. Given their age difference, Robson is 19 years old and Raymond a few months away from 40, the attention given to the teen fit perfectly.

Raymond is probably the most recognized face in women’s doubles. Her resume is plump with titles: 79 WTA career doubles titles; 11 women’s major titles in doubles; and a career Grand Slam in doubles to boot.

Robson, naturally, can’t compete with Raymond when it comes to doubles titles. However, over the course of the Briton’s time on tour she has wowed tennis. Last summer she and Andy Murray came up with a Silver Medal in mixed doubles at the London Olympics.

“Yeah, what about that?” Raymond said, like an older sister or college pal, while Robson blushed in front of a handful of journalists inside the crowded interview after their match.

Their unlikely pairing was by happenstance. Samantha Stosur, Raymond’s expected partner at Sony Open, pulled out with an injury before registration closed. Raymond jumped on the chance to bring in Robson.

“I always thought we’d suit well,” Raymond began. “With Laura’s huge groundies that allow me to move a little bit at the net, plus a little practice. You never know … but it’s clicking.”

Over the week the team has beaten the No. 6 seeds Rachel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears plus Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina, the No. 4 seeds.

Today’s victory, though, had to have been the sweetest. They thumped the world’s No. 1 team of Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci, 61 62, in less than an hour, the same team that has won three of the last four Grand Slam doubles.

“Straight from the start of the match we were firing,” Robson said. “I was trying to be aggressive from the baseline and Lisa definitely took advantage at the net. So, yeah, we had a very good day.”

“It’s funny,” Raymond began, when asked about their partnership. “Some of my most successful partnerships did not fit well at the beginning. Whether it was Stosur or [Liezel] Huber, we floundered for the first couple months. So this is nice to play our first event and click like this.”

With women’s doubles transformed from a serve-and-volley game to one more akin to singles, these two epitomize a balance made for the new-age game. Robson could hit deep from the baseline and Raymond could sense the volleys.

During one exchange Robson pinned Errani deep. Raymond’s sneak volley winner brought fans to their feet in admiration of her touch and their teamwork, an intrinsic sense between the two that is normally only seen in a grooved partnership like Errani’s and Vinci’s.

“Laura’s got so much game, which lets me do so much,” Lisa said. “She’s so powerful with her serve and she’s volleying unbelievable.”
Stadium Court was not stuffed full of fans, but those on hand were definitely behind the wildcards, which made Errani’s and Vinci’s job even tougher. After losing the first set, Errani took a medical time out. She returned with her right thigh wrapped, another sign of their struggle.

Whether it was swirly wind, the bright sun, or an injury, Raymond and Robson took complete advantage of the Italians.

During the last point, which broke the Italians to win the match, Raymond whacked a down-the-line forehand that whizzed past Vinci. Her head dropped. Seconds later, Robson smacked the same shot down her side of the court. The two smiled at each.

“I mean that team … I haven’t come close to winning a set off them in a year,” Raymond added. “So for us to go out there and play that well against them was great.”

Robson credited her elder partner with bringing some focus to her game. When Errani took the medical time out, Laura tried to figure out a Lady Gaga dance. Raymond, though, redirected Robson.“Let’s focus on the next game,” Raymond told Robson.

Robson’s singles tournament didn’t go well this week. Out in the second round, she felt nervous against Alize Cornet and lost the third set 61.

“Serving out the match today I didn’t have any nerves,” Laura said. “I was having a lot of fun on court just going for everything. In doubles, if they use the “I” formation I can just go for my shot. Whereas in singles you have to think a bit more.”

Both women are thrilled to be in the finals, which will be played Sunday along with the men’s final. But neither woman thought they would make it this far.

“I’ve been here for a couple weeks already,” Laura said, smiling. “I’m loving Miami and looking forward to spending a couple more days here.”

The obvious question for the two is will they continue their partnership.“That’s something Laura and I could definitely talk about,” Raymond began, when Laura piped up to remind Lisa about her low ranking. “That’s okay, I have unlimited number of wildcards.”

Robson’s youthful spirit has rubbed off on a normally task-driven Raymond. The levity at changeovers and between points has added a new dimension to Raymond’s mindset while Laura has benefited from the experience of a 20-year expert; Robson had no need for a coach during this match.

This exchange of friendship, tennis strategies and tactics, and serve placements is a normal fallout from any doubles partnership. What seems to set these two apart is, number one, they have advanced to the final of a WTA Premier Mandatory event on their inaugural attempt, and, number two, they giggle like kids.

Apparently Raymond has a lucky shower in the site’s locker room, as Laura described it, adding that many players use the same one throughout a tournament.

“I was in the shower after warmup, and I heard Lisa say something like she wondered why I wasn’t in one of the other showers,” Robson began, on the brink of laughter. “But she’s waiting outside mine because it’s her lucky shower as well.”

If their luck continues they could become the 2013 Sony Open’s women’s doubles champions.

http://www.tennisgrandstand.com/2013/03/29/clicking-partnership-laura-robson-and-lisa-raymond-roll-into-miami-doubles-final/
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1061 on: March 30, 2013, 01:40 PM »

Guys, can you please tweet this? If enough people  tweet them, maybe they'll show it.

@EurosportUKTV Please show #Robmond's Doubles Final from Miami. There's plenty of interest in it!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1062 on: March 30, 2013, 07:10 PM »

Laura and Lisa today:

IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1063 on: March 30, 2013, 07:15 PM »

and one more, from facebook
Lucky enough to be on this amazing boat, recreating the titanic pose Wink Doubles final tomorrow! #lifeisgood
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1064 on: March 30, 2013, 07:19 PM »

dani very much enjoyed the piece about Laura and Lisa - it really seems like a partnership made in heaven with both of them flourishing within it.  Good luck to them tomorrow.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 ... 110 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »