Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Laura Robson 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 ... 110 Go Down Reply
Author

Laura Robson

(Read 36032 times)
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1155 on: May 07, 2013, 11:47 AM »

Great result It looks like we might have another tennis star in the UK Congratulations Laura
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1156 on: May 07, 2013, 12:46 PM »

I think this is great result for Laura. I'm thrilled for her, even if I do like Aggie a bit. I feared for Laura when I saw who she was going to play, considering all of the early round losses she's had this year, and the way Aggie can often pick apart the lower ranked players, but it's fantastic Laura won.

If anyone has the match and would be kind enough to put it on Youtube I'd love to see it. When does Laura play again, any idea?
Not highlights, but here's a brief portion of the second set (games at 2-1, 3-1 and 5-1):

IP Logged
Fluffy
Futures Level

Super mouse

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1157 on: May 07, 2013, 02:11 PM »

She'll play again on Wed at earliest - her opponents still have to play which will be later today.  (Ivanovic -SRB/Scheepers - RSA) ->  3rd match on Stadium 3 after 3pm local time.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1158 on: May 07, 2013, 07:56 PM »

She is down to play tomorrow evening not before 9:30pm (8:30 pm UK time)
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1159 on: May 07, 2013, 09:17 PM »

Oh man,so now Laura will play Ana Frown Oh well,whatever the result,I guess I'll be happy for one,sad for the other Shrug
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1160 on: May 07, 2013, 11:00 PM »

shocking

Laura seeks new coach after split from mentor as Brit prepares for Ivanovic clash

Laura Robson is on the lookout again for a new coach after parting company with Croatian mentor Zeljko Krajan at the start of the Madrid Open.

The exact timing of the split is unclear, but Krajan was initially with her in the Spanish capital for this week's event, which has seen the Wimbledon-based teenager come back to form after a lean spell and earn a place in the third round.

On Monday she scored a career-best victory over world No 4 Agnieszka Radwanska.

Robson has ended the partnership with the current Croatian Davis Cup Captain and one time coach of former world No 1 Dinara Safina, having teamed up with him immediately following last summer's Olympics.

Their time together has seen some eye-catching wins over former Grand Slam champions and entry into the world's top 50 mixed in with inconsistency and less impressive results against lower ranked players.

For her last 16 encounter against former French Open champion Ana Ivanovic she will use the services of vastly experienced Dutch coach Sven Groeneveld, who works for adidas and is available to work with all their contracted players, such as Robson.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2320920/Laura-Robson-seeks-new-coach-split-mentor-Brit-prepares-Ana-Ivanovic-clash-Madrid-Open.html

IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1161 on: May 07, 2013, 11:09 PM »

Oh man,so now Laura will play Ana Frown Oh well,whatever the result,I guess I'll be happy for one,sad for the other Shrug
A totty-tennis dream for us guys, though!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1162 on: May 08, 2013, 08:47 AM »

Am I being thick or did Sven Groeneveld work with Andy on and off when he was without a coach? His name just rings a bell and I'm sure it must be in connection with Andy.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1163 on: May 08, 2013, 11:59 AM »

yes he did tj along with Cahill and both very good I think.
They were saying on Sky that Laura's coach was a really hard task master and it may be that he took all the joy out of it. I'd imagine she'll have no problem finding a good new coach given she looks like a star in the making.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1164 on: May 08, 2013, 01:41 PM »

yes he did tj along with Cahill and both very good I think.
They were saying on Sky that Laura's coach was a really hard task master and it may be that he took all the joy out of it. I'd imagine she'll have no problem finding a good new coach given she looks like a star in the making.

Thanks Ruthie, I'm glad my mind isn't playing tricks. I think that period, in its way was good for Andy. As you say, Groeneveld and Cahill are good, and I also think Andy took a lot from being on his own. Ironicallly I think it helped to pave the way towards Mr. L.

I remember the pundits saying that Laura's now ex coach was a taskmaster when they got together. The thing is, without knowing what has gone on, if anything, I'm sure that suits some players, but I suspect the ability to have some fun and enjoy the work is important too. If Laura felt it wasn't working out with her coach she's right to take responsibility and do something about it. It's her career after all. I know you can't be sure, but I really do think Laura has got 'star' written all over her. I love her game and her attitude. I think she deserves every chance to make the best of herself and if a new coach is part if that then so be it.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1165 on: May 08, 2013, 03:19 PM »

I have to be honest,I'm a bit surprised by the timing of it though-just very recently I was reading an interview with Laura and she was chatting about her coach,and talking about things they were working on together,and how she was planning to try to get him to stop smoking,that sort of thing-didn't sound at all like she was planning to part ways with him.Still,suppose you can't know what goes on behind the scenes really Shrug

Interestingly-and this goes with what you were saying Ruthie,about taking the joy out of things-I was reading something this morning,I think it was by Overend,and he was saying that just in the last couple of days (presumably since splitting with Krajan) Laura's looked a lot happier and smilier and more positive than she has done in a long time.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1166 on: May 08, 2013, 04:42 PM »

Yes I thought it odd to split in the middle of a tournament dani but perhaps things just came to a head somehow and that has left her relieved and playing more freely. Sounds like it was good for her to begin with as helped get her fitter but particularly when you're so young I don't think the training should be too demanding as these young stars sometimes burn out very early especially on the women's side.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1167 on: May 08, 2013, 05:12 PM »

Very enjoyable interview with Laura, done in the US a few weeks ago. Quite a bit about her music tastes, winning Wimbledon juniors, dealing with media, the Laura monologues, how she gets on with the other players,  the best supporter chants and more. She's such a sweetie and really funny.

Steven ‏@GBtennis 3h
@laurarobson5 interview on the NCR podcast http://bit.ly/13h0eEV  is very entertaining :-) LR section from 38:50, i/v from 43:40
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1168 on: May 08, 2013, 08:50 PM »

Match started.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1169 on: May 08, 2013, 08:51 PM »

1 BP for Ivanovic.
IP Logged