Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Laura Robson 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 ... 110 Go Down Reply
Author

Laura Robson

(Read 41938 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1290 on: May 13, 2013, 06:26 PM »

Good thing the match wasn't too strenuous today - Laura plays Serena tomorrow! Not before 9pm (8pm UK)
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1291 on: May 13, 2013, 07:16 PM »

If Laura beats Serena (tough ask I know) she has a good chance of finishing the week  in the Top 32 and so will be seeded for RG.  With only 55 points to defend at RG and Wimby she has a real chance of being Top 20 by mid July.

She has a lot of points to defend in Sept but, until then, it's onwards and upwards after a slow start to the season for both her and Heather.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1292 on: May 13, 2013, 09:12 PM »

ROME, Italy - Laura Robson overcame a very windy day and beat Venus Williams in the first round of the Internationali BNL d'Italia, setting up a very intriguing second round date with the World No.1.

Robson, fresh off a breakthrough week in Madrid where she beat Agnieszka Radwanska for her first win over a Top 5 player, fought through the gusts and broke serve six times to beat Williams, 63 62.

"I always have trouble with the wind so it was kind of tough in the first set, but then it sort of settled down," Robson said. "The hardest part for me was on my service games, having to wait so long between the first and second serves because of the wind. But I just got used it, and I got centered.

"It's hard to play high quality tennis in the wind, but I'm still happy to have won today."

Robson talked about being inspired by Williams growing up. "I remember seeing her play at Wimbledon when I was about 10 and I was blown away with the speed she hit the ball. And today when she hit the ball in the center of the racquet it was basically point over, so I really just had to take my chances.

"I was pretty pumped when I saw the draw. I can remember saying when I was 14 that I wanted to play Venus, and now I got my wish. It was a tough draw but I was really excited to get out there."

On Tuesday night Robson will play Serena Williams in her second round match, which isn't just going to be her first meeting with the World No.1, but her first meeting with any World No.1 at all.

"I've always wanted to play her," Robson said. "It'll be a good test. She's playing probably her best tennis. It's going to be insanely tough, but I'm just going to go out there and do my best."

It presents Robson with an opportunity to add her name to history - only seven players have ever beaten both Williams sisters at the same tournament (Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario, Steffi Graf, Martina Hingis, Kim Clijsters, Lindsay Davenport, Justine Henin and Jelena Jankovic), and only one has done it on clay (Jankovic). Also, all of those players were, had been or would become No.1 in the world.

And another thing - at 19 years and 3 months, Robson would be the youngest player ever to achieve the feat. The only other teenager to do it was Kim Clijsters, who did it at 19 years and 5 months.

Serena Williams was asked about Robson in her pre-tournament press conference. "She has a great game and is really young and free," she said. "She plays so smooth and is also a lefty, which just adds another notch to her level. She's a great girl and it's good to see her playing so well these days.

"I've never played her before and I'm looking forward to it - it's a tough second round."

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3177765/title/robson-beats-venus-serena-up-next
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1293 on: May 13, 2013, 09:55 PM »

Hard to believe that in the last 7 months she's beaten two of the biggest names of the last decade in Williams and Clijsters. As well as two (other) Slam champions and the current #4 (former #2 and slam finalist).
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1294 on: May 14, 2013, 08:04 PM »

Anyone else scared for Laura?
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1295 on: May 14, 2013, 08:08 PM »

Anyone else scared for Laura?

No.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1296 on: May 14, 2013, 08:12 PM »

Yeah I think Serena might be scared of Laura actually!
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1297 on: May 14, 2013, 08:12 PM »

0-30 dafuq O_0
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1298 on: May 14, 2013, 08:14 PM »

15-40 WOW
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1299 on: May 14, 2013, 08:16 PM »

Robson breaks. OMFG.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1300 on: May 14, 2013, 08:16 PM »

Well Laura is beating Serena Williams and world no 1. Time to quit while she's ahead Smile
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1301 on: May 14, 2013, 08:16 PM »

Nice start. Now for the Laura serve...
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1302 on: May 14, 2013, 08:16 PM »

Well that's the first target met. Avoid double bagel.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1303 on: May 14, 2013, 08:17 PM »

Robbo has the same game as Serena, attack, attack, ace , attack, attack, ace...
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Laura Robson « Reply #1304 on: May 14, 2013, 08:20 PM »

1-1.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 ... 110 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »