Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  The Other British Men 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 ... 188 Go Down Reply
Author

The Other British Men

(Read 79671 times)
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2160 on: June 06, 2012, 03:33 PM »

Watched the stream of Fitzpatrick's match and he served horribly whereas Nielsen served well having become used to the grass after his matches in qualifying.

Baker won the first 5 games of his match and then Ward started to play better though it was still 3 breaks of serve to 1. Ward got treatment on his hand/fingers after the first 3 games.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2161 on: June 07, 2012, 08:57 AM »

Good to see that Colin and Ross are back in action at last

Ooh that seems to have flown over.  I hope it doesn't take them too long to get back into the swing of things.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2162 on: June 07, 2012, 10:31 AM »

Ward, Baker, Golding and Broady are the British wildcards into Queen's next week.

Kind of surprised about Broady getting one but not about the other 3. I think this also suggests that these 4 (and also Goodall as he's in the top 250) will get the main draw wildards for Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2163 on: June 07, 2012, 10:36 AM »

Ward, Baker, Golding and Broady are the British wildcards into Queen's next week.

Kind of surprised about Broady getting one but not about the other 3. I think this also suggests that these 4 (and also Goodall as he's in the top 250) will get the main draw wildards for Wimbledon.

Why not Dan Evans? I know he's been out with illness, but thought he was back.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2164 on: June 07, 2012, 11:04 AM »

Dan returned in the qualifying for Nottingham where he beat a higher ranked player but then lost to a lower ranked one. With Dan your not sure what to expect from him especially as he's been out for 2 months. If he hadn't been ill, he'd have been playing and hopefully winning and then I think it would be worth giving him main draw wildcards.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2165 on: June 07, 2012, 11:38 AM »

Thanks Allan, that makes sense, I hadn't realised it had been quite so long. I suppose he'll be in qualifiers then?
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2166 on: June 07, 2012, 12:58 PM »

I'd assume he'll be playing the qualifying. He didn't play any tournaments between the Davis Cup v Belgium and Nottingham.

Ward beat Baker in Nottingham 2-6 7-6(3) 6-1.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2167 on: June 08, 2012, 02:35 PM »

Ward lost today 3&3 to Tursunov, with Baltacha losing to Radwanska (the not-as-good sister) to end all British interest in the Singles. Robson/Watson play South/Moore in an all British semi-final though.

Ye I'm surprised about Broady too. Who were the WCs last year? Ward and Evans I remember, was it Baker and Cox with the other two?

I am surprised Broady got one over Goodall though. Evans I can understand after his illness, although it is a shame.

How many of the 8WCs will be awarded to British players? I imagine Hewitt will have received one of the other ones, probably Haas as well?
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2168 on: June 08, 2012, 03:00 PM »

Keothavong's still in the singles and is a set all against the lower ranked Pliskova. The matches today, and for much of yesterday, have been on the indoor hard courts.

There were just 3 British men who had main draw wildcards last year: Ward, Evans and Cox.

Haas, Hewitt and Brian Baker would be the foreign guys that I'd give a wildcard to for Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2169 on: June 08, 2012, 03:51 PM »

Anne won her qtr final coming back from a set down to win 6 1 4 and an all british doubles ladies semi is playing now.

Colin and Ross playing later (rain permitting)
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2170 on: June 08, 2012, 05:26 PM »

Ah yes, forgot about Anne for some reason! Laura and Heather annihalated Moore and South 1&2 to reach the Doubles final.

Cheers for the info Allan.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2171 on: June 12, 2012, 01:59 PM »

Will leave the guys playing in Queens for the Queens thread (Ward, Baker, Golding, Broady).

In Nottingham-2, Goodall beat Edmund 3&2 in the battle of the wild cards. He will face 2nd seed Karol Beck or Peter Torebko in R2.

Edward Corrie meanwhile is embroiled in a cracking match against Jan Mertl - 7-6, 6-7, 6-6. Tie-break to decide that one.

Bambridge will face the Swiss qualifier Bossel, Bloomfield will face fellow qualifier Alexander Bury.

Evans, Milton, Clayton, Simpson, Meehan, Feaver, Bugby and Ward-Hibbert all went out in Qualifying.

Edit: Corrie wins 7-6, 6-7, 7-6. Very Happy

Bambridge has just broken back (2-3 down, back on serve) against Bossel after Bossel DF'd on BP.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter June 12, 2012, 02:23 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2172 on: June 12, 2012, 02:22 PM »

Wimbledon wild cards given to Golding, Goodall, Baker (Jamie), Ward, Hewitt, Haas and Goffin.

One wild card to be announced.

As expected then, apart from Goffin getting one ahead of Brian Baker, although after his run and rankings rise I guess that was to be expected.

Broady, Morgan, Edmund and Bambridge all have WCs into Qualifying.

And here's a stream for young Bambridge's match if anybody is interested/reads this before the match ends.

http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/56387/2/bossel---bambridge-(atp-challenger-nottingham-2)-live-stream-online.html

Now 3-3, Bambridge coming back from 0-3 down.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter June 12, 2012, 02:54 PM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2173 on: June 12, 2012, 03:01 PM »

Wild cards announced for Wimbledon so far:-

Men's:-  Baker, Goffin, Golding, Goodall, Haas, Hewitt, Ward

.............  and on the women's side:-  Robson, Watson (if not in MD), Broady, Moore, Murray, Konta, Barty, Shvedova

Doubles - Delgado/Skupski

Baltacha/Keothavong, Broady/Konta, Moore/South, Robson/Watson
[ Last edit by Alis June 12, 2012, 03:05 PM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2174 on: June 16, 2012, 03:22 PM »

Good win for Oliver Golding today at Eastbourne  1st round Qualifiers - beat world no 102 Daniel Brands 0-6, 6-4, 7-5

Gets no points for this sadly. Plays Josh Goodall next
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 ... 188 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »