Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  The Other British Men 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 ... 191 Go Down Reply
Author

The Other British Men

(Read 83463 times)
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2460 on: April 07, 2013, 10:00 PM »

Well done to the whole team - and a big credit to Leon Smith who has consistently got ther best out of the team he has available.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2461 on: April 07, 2013, 10:43 PM »

Most fantastic weekend. After Friday I believed they could pull it off today. Atmosphere inside the arena was so electric you could almost feel the crowd willing them to win.  Absolutely amazing took a couple of seconds for it to sink in after dan won that last point.  Andy asked them to prove they could do it without him. Well Andy ?
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2462 on: April 07, 2013, 10:49 PM »

This is really good news.  jumping-w00t
Brilliant! I never expected such good results without Andy. The lads in the team rose to the challenge and I bet Andy is bowled over by this too! cmon GB

Andy must be a wonderful inspiration for the team, as Novak is for Serbia DC team. I saw the last set of the USA vs Serbia, Djokovic vs Querry. Sam got thrashed Frown and hey, poor Novak turned his ankle in the 3rd set and will have to rest for a few day. He still managed to finish the set though.

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2463 on: April 07, 2013, 11:52 PM »

This is really good news.  jumping-w00t
Brilliant! I never expected such good results without Andy. The lads in the team rose to the challenge and I bet Andy is bowled over by this too! cmon GB

Andy must be a wonderful inspiration for the team, as Novak is for Serbia DC team. I saw the last set of the USA vs Serbia, Djokovic vs Querry. Sam got thrashed Frown and hey, poor Novak turned his ankle in the 3rd set and will have to rest for a few day. He still managed to finish the set though.

He went down in a heap in the 3rd game! They were seriously worried about his ankle, apparently he was writhing in pain, but that might just be an exaggeration. He was certainly able to get back on with it and see it out despite dropping a set on a tie-break. There are doubts if he will play Monte Carlo now though.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2464 on: April 08, 2013, 07:07 AM »

As brilliant as it is surprising yay yay yay
And without Andy. What a boost for the team clap
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2465 on: April 08, 2013, 08:45 AM »

I'm so pleased for the whole team.  Agreed this will be a real boost for them all, and well deserved. 

When Andy plays, it's inevitable the others feel a bit like they are playing second fiddle, but this weekend they knew it was all about them, and they stepped up to the plate spectacularly.  I hope they can use this to move their own games forward.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2466 on: April 08, 2013, 08:50 AM »

A brilliant result.  Vindicates Andy's decision not to play as it allowed the other singles players to show what they can do.  Apparently Andy was texting constantly, encouraging them, so was there in spirit. And now they've proved they can do it without him,  and with a world class dubs team, it means there's a point in getting back into the world group as they might even manage to get somewhere.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2467 on: April 08, 2013, 09:12 AM »

A brilliant result.  Vindicates Andy's decision not to play as it allowed the other singles players to show what they can do.  Apparently Andy was texting constantly, encouraging them, so was there in spirit. And now they've proved they can do it without him,  and with a world class dubs team, it means there's a point in getting back into the world group as they might even manage to get somewhere.

I so agree Ruthie!Delighted for the team,and Leon-a very well-earned victory.And so lovely to hear about Andy texting them his encouragement-I'm sure it meant a lot.Rob Stewart tweeted that himself,Andy and Jez were watching via the LTA stream,cheering them on,which I think is just so sweet. So hope that the team can replicate their form next time-if they could,and with Andy playing too,the result could be great!! cmon yeah
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2468 on: April 08, 2013, 09:20 AM »

He went down in a heap in the 3rd game! They were seriously worried about his ankle, apparently he was writhing in pain, but that might just be an exaggeration. He was certainly able to get back on with it and see it out despite dropping a set on a tie-break. There are doubts if he will play Monte Carlo now though.

I'm not so sure about it being an exaggeration Mad Frown

A reporter tweeted that Nole had actually broken down in tears during an interview with Serbian media,after a doctor had told him that his injury was serious. He hasn't tweeted since (despite,or perhaps because of,being besieged with questions!),but the link to the video is http://www.rts.rs/page/sport/ci/story/33/Тенис/1300578/Новак,+повреда+озбиљна.html -though not much use if you dont speak Serbian!- and there's a pic of poor Nole looking very tearful during it:

IP Logged
colin
Satellite Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2469 on: April 08, 2013, 09:30 AM »

Here is the Google translation

Novak Djokovic started crying when he learned how serious the injuries he sustained in a match against Sam Kverija. Even without precise details.

Novak Djokovic injured ankle in the third game of the match against Sam Kverija, but the heroic "pushed" to the end of the match and Serbia provided the decisive third point and the gateway to the Davis Cup semifinals, which in September game against Canada.

"To play for Serbia is a great honor and pleasure ... As for the injury is not good," said Nole.

Speaking on the severity of injury after the match, Djokovic to cry.

There is still no precise details about the injury.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2470 on: April 08, 2013, 09:50 AM »

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/davis-cup-britain-stun-russia-davis-cup-thriller-181855457.html
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2471 on: April 08, 2013, 09:57 AM »

Sorry for Djokovic, but also shows how sensible Murray was not to risk injury for a cup match that should have been a foregone conclusion with regard to outcome. He has said he will play the next tie if they want him.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2472 on: April 08, 2013, 09:59 AM »

Here is the Google translation

This is really bad news. Hope its not as bad as it seems, if for no other reason that  Andy would hate to become no 1 over a heap of crocks! 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2473 on: April 08, 2013, 10:11 AM »

I'm absolutely chuffed to bits that our boys got the win against Russia. I'm so pleased for the boys, but for Leon too. I think Leon has been brilliant for the team, has built a real team spirit amongst them and got the best out of them.

With the greatest of respect to Andy, sometimes I think it's good when he doesn't play DC. For a start, I don't think he should feel obliged to play all the time. Also, I honestly think it encourages the others to step up, and they have this weekend. I just wish I'd seen it. I had a bad head again over the weekend, which prevented me coming online for livestreams, and Eurosport was showing Serbia/USA, not that I was able to watch all of that either.

I don't know how the boys feel, but they've just shown a brief clip of an interview with Leon on the BBC news. He looks knackered, bless him!

As for Djokovic, I suspect he'll be all right for the clay season, unless something has changed since yesterday. He landed wrong after going for a shot and turned his ankle over a bit, but after treatment, once he'd settled down again, he looked all right to me. He basically thumped Querrey in the end, but I'm not sure whether Querrey went away or was put off by Djokovic's injury. A bit of both if you ask me. Either way, if the press are suggesting Djokovic was writhing in agony they are overdoing it a bit. He was clearly in pain, and was obviously a bit stunned that he had gone over, but he wasn't writhing.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2474 on: April 08, 2013, 10:33 AM »

I do hope this will galvanize Dan Evans to take his tennis more seriously.  He obviously has the talent and the opportunities could be there for him to climb up the rankings, see the world and make some serious money.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 ... 191 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »