Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  The Other British Men 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 ... 188 Go Down Reply
Author

The Other British Men

(Read 80087 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2475 on: April 08, 2013, 10:34 AM »

He was on painkillers Teejay. Said he was in agony after the match finished and they started to wear off and really worried he'd further aggravated it. Hopefully the MRI will show it's not as serious as they are currently fearing.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2476 on: April 08, 2013, 11:01 AM »

I do hope this will galvanize Dan Evans to take his tennis more seriously.  He obviously has the talent and the opportunities could be there for him to climb up the rankings, see the world and make some serious money.
Quite agree FCR.  It makes you wonder where Andy would be had he not given himself so wholeheartedly to the training needed to be a top player.  Dan Evans needs a mentor who can keep him on the straight and narrow. It sounds like he realises he needs to change but just doesn't have the willpower.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2477 on: April 08, 2013, 11:19 AM »

It's just a pity that such a great win leads to yet more of the usual mud-slinging at Andy. Whether he plays or not, he simply can't win.
Oh well, c'est la vie.
Well done, Leon and all the team.  clap
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2478 on: April 08, 2013, 11:26 AM »

Sorry for Djokovic, but also shows how sensible Murray was not to risk injury for a cup match that should have been a foregone conclusion with regard to outcome. He has said he will play the next tie if they want him.

As a matter of fact, I remember Andy playing DC with a wrist injury, after pressure from John Lloyd  vomit
Hope Nole is OK, sensible to miss MC as a precaution.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2479 on: April 08, 2013, 11:57 AM »

As a matter of fact, I remember Andy playing DC with a wrist injury, after pressure from John Lloyd  vomit
Hope Nole is OK, sensible to miss MC as a precaution.

And then Lloyd effectively slapped him in the face by criticising him so much after that tie - no surprise at all that Andy never played for him again after that.

I don't blame the top guys for missing DC ties. I'm sure it must feel great to win the ties, but there's always the risk of injuries that can ruin parts of their season. Andy missing the tie in particular has inspired performances from Ward and Evans that I doubt would have happened if they knew they were guaranteed 2 points from Andy's wins.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2480 on: April 08, 2013, 12:00 PM »

absolutely Katie and there's no point sacrificing his own career for DC so long as there isn't a team that has proved they are good enough to justify promotion to the world group.  Now there is, I suspect Andy will try to play when he can and indeed I think he has committed himself to doing so in September, subject to no injury of course.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2481 on: April 08, 2013, 12:16 PM »

Congrats to the British team beating Russia at DC. I think Murray is wise to stay away from this competition until there are more players to back him up You can't win everything single handed DC is a team event
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2482 on: April 08, 2013, 01:09 PM »

It's just a pity that such a great win leads to yet more of the usual mud-slinging at Andy. Whether he plays or not, he simply can't win.
Oh well, c'est la vie.
Well done, Leon and all the team.  clap

Haven't seen any mud slinging in fact just the opposite.  Just a few jokes about him sitting on the bench / waiting to be picked on twitter  lol.  But this DC tie was not about Andy as much as I love him he rightly chose not to play. This was about Colin, Johnnny, James and Dan and along with a great captain who made absolutely the right decisions amongst a lot of criticising. (And let's not forget Ross and his research).  They all did a great job for British tennis this weekend and I for one am proud of all of them. 
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2483 on: April 08, 2013, 01:59 PM »

I think everyone on here's proud of them and know this tie was not about Andy.
But the post-article comments show plenty of examples of mud-slinging  lol    eg. http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/davis-cup-britain-stun-russia-davis-cup-thriller-181855457.html 
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2484 on: April 08, 2013, 02:45 PM »

And then Lloyd effectively slapped him in the face by criticising him so much after that tie - no surprise at all that Andy never played for him again after that.

I don't blame the top guys for missing DC ties. I'm sure it must feel great to win the ties, but there's always the risk of injuries that can ruin parts of their season. Andy missing the tie in particular has inspired performances from Ward and Evans that I doubt would have happened if they knew they were guaranteed 2 points from Andy's wins.

Completely agree - I doubt if we would have seen such inspired performances, if they had been hanging on to Mr M's coat tails. Hopefully it will have proved beyond doubt to them, that they both have the capacity to play at high levels. It was nice to read a tennis report about some other male Brutish players, for a change. The whole weight of British Tennis on the make side has rested on Mr M's shoulders since Tim H retired.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2485 on: April 08, 2013, 02:49 PM »

This is really bad news. Hope its not as bad as it seems, if for no other reason that  Andy would hate to become no 1 over a heap of crocks! 

Don't totally agree. Mr M has got to No 2, by virtue of his own efforts. If fate was to offer him a slightly easier path to No 1, and another GS - I personally would be fine with that. Mr M has had to battle so hard in his life, he deserves an extra break in my opinion.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2486 on: April 08, 2013, 03:03 PM »

Next DC tie for GB - Spain away? Switzerland at home?

The draw takes place at 11:00 BST on Wednesday, with the ties to be played on 13-15 September

GB's potential opponents

1st seed: Spain - away
2: Austria - away
3: Croatia - away
4: Switzerland - home
5: Germany - home
6: Australia - home
7: Belgium - away
8: Japan - decided by lot

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22068066
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2487 on: April 08, 2013, 05:51 PM »

He was on painkillers Teejay. Said he was in agony after the match finished and they started to wear off and really worried he'd further aggravated it. Hopefully the MRI will show it's not as serious as they are currently fearing.

I was just going by the way he looked to be honest. That said, the coverage didn't start until just after the injury, so we saw a replay of him going down and then they went straight to playing again. After an initial period when his movement was clearly not right I thought he was okay. From what I've heard here it sounds like it might have been nasty after all. I hope it isn't too serious, I hate to see any player getting seriously injured.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2488 on: April 08, 2013, 06:05 PM »

Thanks for the list of potential opponents, Elena.
There's a lot of water to go under the bridge before September comes around, but typically, the media are already on the case.... http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/article/553/8626057/dan-evans-ready-for-gb-axe
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2489 on: April 08, 2013, 06:54 PM »

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/british-davis-cup-hero-dan-evans-set-to-be-axed-for-returning-andy-murray/story-e6frfgao-1226615356230
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 ... 188 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »