Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  The Other British Men 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 176 [177] 178 179 180 ... 183 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: The Other British Men  (Read 76092 times)
eeyorebob
Satellite Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2640 on: January 04, 2014, 06:49 AM »

Shame for Rosco, but it wasnt a thrashing which is always a good sign

Cameron and Rhett also through to next round of the qualies
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2641 on: January 04, 2014, 11:13 AM »

Shame for Rosco, but it wasnt a thrashing which is always a good sign

Cameron and Rhett also through to next round of the qualies

I was following Ross's match on livescores, and it was pretty close. Got broken right at the start and then at the end. The match lasted 90 minutes, so some good practice time. He said the other day that Colin had improved while he (Ross) had been out for the year, so he had some catching up to do!

"The last year has flown by pretty quick.  A lot of things have happened.  I'm just really pleased to be back on court beside Colin.  His level has gone up since I've played with him.  That's actually one thing that has changed.  He's improved a lot, and I need to put my side forward to match his.
So it's great to see, and I'll be doing that, working hard to make sure my level is good enough"
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=95198

I remember Colin played qualifying singles last year at the same tournament I think.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2642 on: January 04, 2014, 01:35 PM »

^ Thanks for the link Elena.  A very interesting intverview, and I hope they enjoy a successful few years together.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2643 on: January 12, 2014, 01:41 PM »

I read this rather sad article about Jamie Baker in yesterday's Independent Review.   Such a shame that a decent (if not great) player who worked so hard wasn't able to achieve his ambitions (partly because of illness) and, understandably decided to call it a day prematurely.  It's a reminder that life ain't great for players outside the top 100.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/jamie-bakers-break-point-a-tennis-nomad-exits-the-planets-cruellest-sport-9046491.html
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2644 on: January 12, 2014, 02:50 PM »

I read that too, excellent article. And yes, such as shame. Remember how excited Andy was at last year's Oz open when jamie qualified
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2645 on: January 13, 2014, 12:15 AM »

I read this rather sad article about Jamie Baker in yesterday's Independent Review.   Such a shame that a decent (if not great) player who worked so hard wasn't able to achieve his ambitions (partly because of illness) and, understandably decided to call it a day prematurely.  It's a reminder that life ain't great for players outside the top 100.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/jamie-bakers-break-point-a-tennis-nomad-exits-the-planets-cruellest-sport-9046491.html
Thanks Ruthie.  Reading that got me quite emotional, and what very sad way to end what started out as a very promising tennis career, especially having fought back from serious injury and illness throughout it.  I sincerely hope he does find happiness and fulfilment in the future.  Fortunately his gf sounds a very caring, loving person.

Also, as you say, it's a reminder of just what players further down the rankings have to endure in order to follow their chosen career.  It's an extremely unfair world where the players at the top of the tree can rake in millions, afford their own coaches, fitness trainers and personal phyios, and stay in luxurious hotels or apartments on tour, whilst even those not all that far down the ladder have to take what crumbs they can get.  At least Andy was open enough to say after Wimbledon that £1.6m was a 'ridiculous sum of money' for winning the tournament.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2646 on: January 25, 2014, 02:28 PM »

Dan Smethurst, who made his first challenger SF in his last tournament of 2013, has just won the Sunderland Futures (second British futures of the year), edging out Dave Rice 6-3, 7-5 in the final.

Last week (in his first tournament of the year) he made the final before being edged out in three VERY tight sets by Grigelis (former top 200 player who had dominated the last few British futures of 2013).

Dan has now won 18 of his last 20 matches.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2647 on: January 25, 2014, 02:30 PM »

Dan Smethurst, who made his first challenger SF in his last tournament of 2013, has just won the Sunderland Futures (second British futures of the year), edging out Dave Rice 6-3, 7-5 in the final.

Last week (in his first tournament of the year) he made the final before being edged out in three VERY tight sets by Grigelis (former top 200 player who had dominated the last few British futures of 2013).

Dan has now won 18 of his last 20 matches.

Can I just say how much I appreciate your regular updates on the other British players - particularly the younger one.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2648 on: January 25, 2014, 02:31 PM »

Will keep an eye out, cheers TMH.
Could u hop over to "How many slams will A win" and tell me if what I posted is correct?
Me too TMH. Me too.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2649 on: January 25, 2014, 04:29 PM »

Anyone know what's going on with Dan Evans.  Know he's home after not getting picked for DC but why did he withdraw from Miami tournie last week ?  He seems to have gone off the boil after not qualifying at AO.  Or is he injured?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2650 on: January 25, 2014, 04:43 PM »

Anyone know what's going on with Dan Evans.  Know he's home after not getting picked for DC but why did he withdraw from Miami tournie last week ?  He seems to have gone off the boil after not qualifying at AO.  Or is he injured?

It's all a bit unclear, it was reported that he'd withdrawn from the Hawaii tournament and gone home against Leon Smith's wishes and that had cost him his place in the DC team. Then his name was in the draw, so no one knows if he didn't let them know, or they made a mistake. I've also read that he and Leon parted on good terms

It was also well known that Kyle might well be picked over Dan as he has more clay experience, so Dan may not have been that keen to head off to Hawaii for a warm up tourny and then be dropped anyway. James Ward did play there, but got knocked out first round.

So...don't know really!

I see he is down to play  Challenger event in France, 10th Feb
[ Last edit by Elena January 25, 2014, 05:07 PM ] IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2651 on: January 25, 2014, 07:58 PM »

Kyle Edmund just won another match in Weston.  Good for the confidence. 
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2652 on: January 31, 2014, 09:40 PM »

24 from 26 for Smethurst now. For the second tournament running Dan will face Dave Rice in the final, having taken out British #4 and #5 Cox and Corrie respectively en route.

Also watch out for Harry Meehan. 19yo getting coached by Josh Goodall, with arguably the biggest serve in the country. Pulled off the biggest win of his career this week with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Mertens (top 300 - top 200 just over a year ago) in R2. In 1200s at the moment but should rise quickly.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2653 on: February 01, 2014, 06:32 AM »

Once again, thanx for updates, TMH.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2654 on: February 01, 2014, 01:39 PM »

And this week it's a reverse, with Dave taking it 5-7, 6-3, 6-4.

Rice should now break the top 300 for the first time whilst Dan will return to around his career-high of #331.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter February 01, 2014, 04:23 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 176 [177] 178 179 180 ... 183 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »