Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  The Other British Men 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 193 Go Down Reply
Author

The Other British Men

(Read 88048 times)
richie c
Futures Level

The Other British Men « on: December 28, 2005, 09:12 PM »

It's about time more british talent shone through, We can't put all the pressure on andy's it isn't fair and with tim possibly retiring next year, british players need to pull their fingers out and quick. Eh?
IP Logged
Tom-thegodofpassion
MALE BRITISH PLAYERS « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 09:29 PM »

Brits to watch are Jamie Baker, Colin Fleming and Alex Slabinsky.
Jamie has jumped around 250 places in the rankings this year and won a title in Mexico [one of the hardest places to succeed], Fleming has jumped about 800 places and Slabinsky has jumped around 1000 places. Baker and Slabba are 19, Fleming is 21. Slabinsky and Fleming are currently hampered by not enough funding and are looking for sponsorship.

Official website of Slabinsky:   www.freewebs.com/alexslabinsky

Official website of Baker and Fleming:   www.freewebs.com/topscots

They're both very interesting reads and are updated regularly, I check them a lot. There is even a Question and Answer section which is great.
IP Logged
richie c
Futures Level

MALE BRITISH PLAYERS « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 09:36 PM »

how old are these players thanks for info
IP Logged
jackabee

MALE BRITISH PLAYERS « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 10:08 PM »

I am currently in training to be a pro player! I am 14 and on a strict training and nutrition program! I have won both singles and doubles u18 in my town and mens doubles aswell. I am competing on a junior tournament circuit (not ITF) this year and aim to be in top 16u 200 by end of this year and top 10 by end 2007.

Jackabee
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

MALE BRITISH PLAYERS « Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 10:36 PM »

Maybe Amy has a match for top player on the website.
IP Logged
Tennis-Player
ATP Level

MALE BRITISH PLAYERS « Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 11:31 PM »

Quote from: "jackabee"
I am currently in training to be a pro player! I am 14 and on a strict training and nutrition program! I have won both singles and doubles u18 in my town and mens doubles aswell. I am competing on a junior tournament circuit (not ITF) this year and aim to be in top 16u 200 by end of this year and top 10 by end 2007.

Jackabee

Wow good luck! That must be really exciting. Take a leaf out of Andy's book and go with the fearless attitude. Grow your hair long as well and you'll go far  upfunny

Seriously though good luck with it all. I'll be interested in hearing how you go on.
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

MALE BRITISH PLAYERS « Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 01:41 PM »

Good luck there Smile

roflmao Dan, grow your hair, that's a good one!
IP Logged
brighton babe
Challenger Level

Neue Jaffageschmack kuchen schlager Andy?

MALE BRITISH PLAYERS « Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 02:22 PM »

Quote from: "jackabee"

Jackabee

wow thats great! i really wish i had got into tennis when i was younger, but i am too old now at 15 to start trying to train seriously. but i still play for fun!
Good luck jackabee, keep us posted on how your doing! goodjob
IP Logged
maisy_moppy
Junior

MALE BRITISH PLAYERS « Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 07:17 PM »

Wow Jackabee. Dunno how l8 this is, but wow. Gd luck!!!
I'm terrible at tennis, wish I was better, I don't hav lessons and it is 2 l8 4 me 2 b gd (like amazing), as I am 14. O well.
I hope u do even better than u hope!!!  goodjob
IP Logged
Tom-thegodofpassion
MALE BRITISH PLAYERS « Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 08:56 PM »

Slabinsky [654]  bt  Kennaugh [735] 6-3, 7-5

in rd1 of the Exmouth futures event.

He plays top seed Richard Bloomfield tomorrow which should be tough as Bloomfield is ranked 287 and has a massive serve indoors, even bigger than Murray's and more consistent.  

Report on rd1:

www.freewebs.com/alexslabinsky/latestnews.htm

Jamie Baker [394] bt P Simmonds [331] [USA] 6-7, 6-1, 7-6 [7-4] in rd1 today which was a great result. I haven't finished a report on that match yet.

Sadly, Martin Lee bt Colin Fleming  1-6, 6-1, 7-6
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

MALE BRITISH PLAYERS « Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 09:07 PM »

Is there any likelyhood of Fleming and Jamie Murray reforming that superb doubles partnership they had going?

(It was them, wasn't it?)
IP Logged
richie c
Futures Level

MALE BRITISH PLAYERS « Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 09:14 PM »

thanks for the update tom much appreciate
 Wink
IP Logged
Tom-thegodofpassion
MALE BRITISH PLAYERS « Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 11:26 AM »

By the way guys, the git posting in the shoutbox under my name is not me.

Fleming and Murray are playing in the doubles event in the Exmouth futures event. They're the 2nd seeds and play rd1 today. I'll let you know the result if poss but if I don't you can check Colin's site: www.freewebs.com/topscots for the result this evening.

Fleming and Murray split up last year because Fleming wants to start playing more challengers and trying to qualify for them. Murray isn't ranked high enough to play challenger qualies so Fleming was trying to persuade Jamie to drop his attempts at making it in singles and to go for doubles with him. Jamie didn't want to so they split up which was a shame as it is a fine partnership. Colin didn't have much success with his German friend Satschko or Brit Richard Irwin so he's back with Jamie for the time being. We shall see what happens when their schedules take them to different events this year.

Jamie's poor singles form continued, he lost 6-1, 6-4 in qualies to an unranked geezer called Allinson.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

MALE BRITISH PLAYERS « Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 11:36 AM »

Cheers Tom Smile I should follow them more closely - lost track of everything over Christmas Smile Will be interesting to see how their season progresses....

How do you personally rate them as a doubles partnership - whats their potential for the future if they stick together?
IP Logged
Tom-thegodofpassion
MALE BRITISH PLAYERS « Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 03:42 PM »

If they stick together, top 100 doubles definately.

Both are class doubles players, they dominated the GB futures scene last year in doubles. Both are really good volleyers with great touch and have great hands and there movement is really good up at the net. Jamie's a bit more up and down while Colin has a bit more variety. Jamie's serve could be faster but that's not a serious weakness in doubles. Colin has a really big serve.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 193 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »