Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  The Other British Men 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 158 ... 183 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: The Other British Men  (Read 76024 times)
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2310 on: January 20, 2013, 10:50 PM »

Marcus and the Dans all each a ranking of about 30 or better at some point with Pauffley reaching 57. Alex Ward effectively didn't play any ITF junior tourneys for some reason. Think

The more recent juniors in the last 2 or so years (born since 1992/1993) have a better junior record than those born in 1990.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2311 on: January 20, 2013, 11:45 PM »

Aye that would be Golding, Broady and Morgan, although the latter two have really struggled on the main tour so far. Broady was top 700 in 2011 before a poor 2012.

Out of interest, what do you make of Edmund and Bambridge's decision to forego the Aussie juniors for US Futures?

Many South American, Spanish, American and Aussie players seem to forego their last couple of years of Juniors and get on the Professional circuit a year or so earlier (like Andy did, barring RG, in 2005), but the Brits rarely seem to do it. Would be good to see the Brits do the same, seeing as though they both seem to be doing fairly well. I do wonder how they both compare to the rest of their generation though. I think they rank 1 and 4 from their generation on the pro tour, but I don't think their results in juniors have been that impressive.

It's not like Kyle needs the top 10 Junior exemptions either with his ranking, although with the mass amount of players playing Futures so far he's not even had direct acceptance into a main draw yet. I hear there are more Challengers events in the second quarter of the year though so hopefully less players will clog up the Futures.

Really looking forward to seeing what they, along with Liam and Olly (if he can stay fit - these injury niggles are quite worrying) can achieve this season.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2312 on: January 21, 2013, 09:50 AM »

In the final year of juniors I feel that, if anything, they should play the junior grand slams only. Although that means that their ranking drops and then they may not be seeded, so they might as well play Futures/Challengers anyway.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2313 on: January 22, 2013, 07:15 PM »

Results from Preston today:

Evans beat Rice in 3.
Fitzpatrick beat 7th seed Nieminen 3&2.
Ed Corrie beat 6th seed Milton 3&4.
Willis beat Ward-Hibbert in 3 sets.
Pauffley beat top seed Goodall in 2 tie-breaks.

Other Brits with wins today include Toby Martin, Tom Farquharson (via Bloomfield retiring), George Morgan (Smethurst retired at a set all), Alex Ward and Lewis Burton.
[ Last edit by Allan January 22, 2013, 07:25 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2314 on: January 22, 2013, 08:00 PM »

Goodall's really struggling this year. Smethurst either. Great result for Pauffley though.

Rooting for Evans but he's just too inconsistent. I wonder if he'll ever return to the top 200.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2315 on: January 22, 2013, 09:03 PM »

Rooting for Evans but he's just too inconsistent. I wonder if he'll ever return to the top 200.
Evans haven't ever been in the top 200. lol Rolling Eyes

Another 2 Brits through - Imran Aswat beating Marko Djokovic and Sean Thornley beating a Dutch qualifier. That leaves 12 of the 16 in R2 being British. Smile (Could have been 13 if Burn had served out the match against his higher ranked opponent.)
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2316 on: January 22, 2013, 09:09 PM »

Rooting for Evans but he's just too inconsistent. I wonder if he'll ever make the top 200.

Good to hear so many Brits through.

I'm curious why Kyle, Luke, Liam and James Marsalek are all out in the US, struggling through (and all bar Kyle, ultimately losing in) qualifying due to the ridiculously stacked main draws, when they could have been home getting direct acceptance into the main draw. Is it to help with their development (playing a higher standard of opponent), or to do with training or something else?

Won't get a lot of points on the board but then probably better experience for them, which at their age I guess is more important.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2317 on: January 22, 2013, 09:54 PM »

Good to see other Brits doing well.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2318 on: January 22, 2013, 09:54 PM »

Has Jamie Baker returned home by the way?
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2319 on: January 22, 2013, 10:08 PM »

It's to help with their development as it, in theory, gets then lots of matches on clay, and that it helps with their patience, stamina and shot selection etc. Whereas on an indoor hard court which are relatively quick they can hit winners earlier in the rally and generally shorter points.

I see Ken Skupski is playing doubles in Preston along with his recently graduated younger brother Neal.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2320 on: January 23, 2013, 09:44 PM »

Preston R2:

Ward beat Pauffley 6-7(5), 6-3, 7-6(2)  - Ward converted both breakpoints he had whereas Pauffley took 1 of about 9.
Willis beat Fitzpatrick 6-7(4), 6-4, 7-6(6)  - Fitzpatrick was 4-1 up in the 2nd set as well.
Toby Martin got the 2nd set against Harrison before losing in the 3rd.
Thornley beat 5th seed Lammar 6-0 in the 3rd set.
Farquaharson beat Iswat.
George Morgan beat the Italian that beat Burn.
Corrie beat Burton.
Evans also won.

That leaves Evans as the only seed left. And Harrison as the only non-Brit.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2321 on: January 23, 2013, 09:51 PM »

Josh Goodall has an updated website and it includes blogs on his pre-season training and recent tournnaments in Sheffield, Billesley and Glasgow: http://www.joshuagoodall.com/
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2322 on: January 24, 2013, 12:01 AM »

Ward v Willis will be interesting.
I'd expect Harrison to beat Thornley but Thornley's had a couple of decent wins this tournament.
Great chance for Morgan or Farquharson to pick up 6 ranking points here.
Hopefully Evans will see off Ed Corrie, although the latter's been in decent form.

I can see Harrison winning the whole thing to be honest.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2323 on: January 24, 2013, 12:10 AM »

Josh Goodall has an updated website and it includes blogs on his pre-season training and recent tournnaments in Sheffield, Billesley and Glasgow: http://www.joshuagoodall.com/

Interesting insight. He really needs someone to proof read his blogs though.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The Other British Men « Reply #2324 on: January 24, 2013, 01:19 PM »

Ward v Willis will be interesting.
I'd expect Harrison to beat Thornley but Thornley's had a couple of decent wins this tournament.
Great chance for Morgan or Farquharson to pick up 6 ranking points here.
Hopefully Evans will see off Ed Corrie, although the latter's been in decent form.

I can see Harrison winning the whole thing to be honest.
Willis won in a 3rd set tie-break and for the 2nd week in a row he'll play Harrison who beat Thornley in 2 tie-breaks.
Morgan will play Corrie after both won in straight sets.

Meanwhile in the US, Edmund came through qualifying and won his R1 match. Plays the 7th seed (ranked 331) later today.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 158 ... 183 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »