Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  Tara Moore. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Tara Moore.  (Read 5930 times)
arka
Tara Moore. « on: August 30, 2006, 03:16 PM »

Just thought that I'd post something about this young girl. She isn't that high profile as of yet, but I think that she could be really good one day.

She turned 14 earlier this month and is improving really fast. She recently tried to qualify for her first ever 10K in Guayaquil, Ecuador and actually suceeded. Qualifying for a Women's event in your very first try is quite impressive.

Her Juniors career is steadily on the up too. Tara won her first ever G4 last month. She was seeded at the third position and defeated the top seed in the semis and the second seed in the finals.

Here's what I managed to collect about her with a little bit of effort(Google that is):

She grew up in Hong Kong and later moved to London. She went to the fabled IMG academies in Brandeton and receives a full scholarship there. And from what I gather, full scholarships are not that common at Bollettieri's. It's not her performances, what impresses me more is how highly she is rated by the coaches there. Senior coaches regard her as the best British prospect in a generation. Plus Nick himself said about Tara and her opponent, after she won the U12 Girls' championship at IMG, "The way they hit the ball, that would have been an 18-under match 25 years ago."

Results and pics and stuff:

http://www.juniortennis.com/ajt/playerinfo.php?player_id=11258

I create great hype about Dan Cox, but she is too young for that sort of thing. Wink  But she definitely deserves a thread to herself. Very Happy
[ Last edit by Arka August 30, 2006, 03:20 PM ] IP Logged
jamatthews
Junior

Re: Tara Moore. « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 03:36 PM »

It was actually her 2nd G4. She won her 1st G4 in Canada last year.

She takes on Sharon Fichman today after getting her 1st win over a top 100 junior yesterday. This is for a spot in a Grade 1 quarter final.

While she's not high profile yet, I'm sure once IMG/Bollettieri feel she's ready the hype machine will go into overdrive.
[ Last edit by jamatthews August 30, 2006, 03:39 PM ] IP Logged
arka
Re: Tara Moore. « Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 03:41 PM »

Sorry about the first thing. Whistle

I was waiting for someone to reply before posting her R32 result... ah well. Wink

Yesterday's win was highly impressive. World number 315 taking out the world number 61 in straight sets is shocking good!
[ Last edit by Arka August 30, 2006, 04:09 PM ] IP Logged
jamatthews
Junior

Re: Tara Moore. « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 03:43 PM »

I didn't mean to steal your thunder.  Crying or Very sad hug
IP Logged
arka
Re: Tara Moore. « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 03:45 PM »

Haha. roflmao roflmao

No problem. hug
IP Logged
arka
Re: Tara Moore. « Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 03:52 PM »

Hmmm... Tara's first G4 tournament win came after qualifying for it. Qualifying and winning tournaments is something quite a few good players do.

Fichman is the world number 13. Rolling Eyes   
Tara will need to play really well to have any chance of doing well.
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Re: Tara Moore. « Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 06:43 PM »

you always are so unoptomistic about these young prospects... and then they shock you...
IP Logged
arka
Re: Tara Moore. « Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 06:47 PM »

Yeah, that has happened quite a few times in the past. Cox keeps on surprising me. Think
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

Re: Tara Moore. « Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 06:50 PM »

hopefully Tara moore will do the same...
IP Logged
arka
Re: Tara Moore. « Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 06:51 PM »

Chances are less, but I'll hope that she does.... Very Happy
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

Re: Tara Moore. « Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 06:56 PM »

why do you say that the chances are less?
IP Logged
arka
Re: Tara Moore. « Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 07:29 PM »

When Cox was playing at Roehampton, he was pretty mature but not that experienced..... yeah, defeating the world Junior number 16 in straight sets was a bit of a shock to even me, but that's nowhere near what I'll feel if Tara wins today.

And I hope that she will.... Wink   
IP Logged
arka
Re: Tara Moore. « Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 12:26 PM »

Tara got a bit of a thrashing sadly. She lost 6-2 6-1. But it's folly to even expect a win here.

She should be proud of herself really, what she did in the previous round shows that there is great potential in her.
IP Logged
jamatthews
Junior

Re: Tara Moore. « Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 12:49 PM »

Fichman appears to be in fine form in front of her home crowd. The #11 seed only took 4 games from her.

Also a small thing, but there is a small interview on the CNN site with this:

Q. Who are the best young players at your Academy right now?

A. Jesse Levine, Austin Krajicek, Michelle Brito, Phillip Bester, Devon Britton, Tammy Hendler, Kei Nishikori, Alex Clayton, Mallory Cecil, Pavel Chekhov, Lazlo Kukishivilli, Tara Moore, Pedro Souza, Gastao Elias, Rhyne Williams, Marcus Fugate.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SPORT/09/01/reid.nb/
IP Logged
arka
Re: Tara Moore. « Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 01:16 PM »

Thanks a lot for the interview. clap clap

It's great to see Tara being rated as one of the best players out there. Very Happy   Shows how good she can be.

I had absolutely no idea that Gastao Elias goes to IMG. confused    Coming from Portugal, Spain would have been more normal a choice. What a player he can become in the years to come......

It's really odd that Nick doesn't mention Tomic. But I am not sure if he still goes to IMG.

There is an error there I believe, it should be "Lazare Kukhalashvili" and not "Lazlo Kukishivilli". dontknow   I've never heard of "Kukishvilli"....
But I may be wrong. Very Happy

Another really interesting thing is that IMG seems to be really good at training young players. Elias, Kukhalashvili, Nishikori and of course Tomic are highly mature even though they are really young. So most of the young guns in the Junior circuit are from Bollettieri's. Surprised

Kukhalashvili is another one who can become great in the years to come. But he'll face the same problems as Baghdatis did - since he comes from a nation where tennis is not popular at all, he'll have trouble getting wildcards that one needs during the early stages of his or her career.
[ Last edit by Arka September 01, 2006, 01:25 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »