Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  The current state of British tennis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 23 Go Down Reply
Author

The current state of British tennis

(Read 10906 times)
KitKat
Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #225 on: April 12, 2011, 02:53 PM »

Jamie Baker seems to be going backward, I know he lost his funding but I always thought he was a fighter, Chris Eaton, Laura Robson has gone quiet too or is she still playing juniors?  I don't really pay too much attention to the Challengers and Futures but you used to at least see a few of the Brit boys trying out for the bigger events.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #226 on: April 12, 2011, 04:41 PM »

Ok then. Smile

Jamie Baker
He doesn't seem to be going backwards but he's not going forwards this year either. Here reached the semi-finals of a Futures last week in America where he lost to Boggo in 2 tie-breaks.

Chris Eaton
Having his best/most consistent year yet. He's reached two Futures finals including 2 weeks ago Switzerland when he won the title without dropping a set. This week he's playing the big Challenger event in Johannesburg where he come though qualifying and then beat another qualifier to reach R2.

Laura Robson.
Returned from injury a few weeks ago after being injured during the Hopman Cup. In her 2nd tourney back she beat Kurumi Nara (ranked about 130) 6-1 6-2 in R1, but in the QFs she had to pull out injured again.

Also worth mentioning are Dan Evans (with a Challenger SF and reaching 3 finals at Futures), Colin Fleming (qualifying for 2 Challengers last month and reaching the QF of one of them), Dan Cox (Futures SF, F and a Challenger R2. He also played in Johannesburg this week but went out in R1 7-5 7-6 to Izak van der Merwe (ranked 152 and who also reached the final of the tournament last year.)

Strangely enough, all these player mention all have a forum thread on there somewhere...
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #227 on: December 06, 2011, 02:48 PM »

Judy in talks for Fed Cup.

The Murray family’s influence on British tennis could be about to grow stronger still as the LTA consider appointing Judy Murray, Andy’s mother, as captain of the Fed Cup team.

I wonder if she'll go for it?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #228 on: December 09, 2011, 03:12 PM »

Judy in talks for Fed Cup.

I wonder if she'll go for it?
The BBC have announced that she has accepted her appointment to the post.  No doubt there'll be rumblings of discontent somewhere about the Murrays having too much domination of the sport in the UK, etc, etc.  Also, like Leon Smith, she's a Scot, and that too might grate with some! Whistle
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #229 on: December 09, 2011, 03:14 PM »

I think Colin Fleming is getting spliced today.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #230 on: December 09, 2011, 04:41 PM »

I think Colin Fleming is getting spliced today.
It's tomorrow that's happening.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #231 on: December 09, 2011, 04:43 PM »

Wonder who the lucky lady is?
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #232 on: December 09, 2011, 04:52 PM »

One who, I think, has known Colin since they were at school.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #233 on: December 09, 2011, 04:56 PM »

Aww - that's really nice.  I like these childhood sweethearts' stories.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #234 on: January 17, 2012, 09:58 AM »

So we started off with six players in the first round of the AO.  Now we're left with one as per usual.  I know a couple of them had tough draws, but still...
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #235 on: January 17, 2012, 10:12 AM »

Disappointing, certainly, but at least they all got into the draw without needing a wildcard.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #236 on: February 01, 2012, 10:22 PM »

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/12/02/01/manual_154007.html&BID=553

Singles wins for Anne Keothavong and Elena Baltacha ensured Judy Murray's team started their promotion bid with victory over Portugal.

British number two Keothavong got things rolling by beating Portugal's Maria Joao Koehler 6-3 6-4 in Eilat, Israel.

Keothavong raced into a 4-0 lead and although her opponent managed to retrieve one of the breaks of serve, the British player took the first set.

Koehler made a better fist of things in the second set and opened an early 3-0 lead. However, Keothavong pulled level and a late break of serve saw her close out the match.

Elena Baltacha then demolished Michelle Larcher de Brito 6-2 6-3 in the second rubber.

The British number one broke in the fifth and seventh games to claim the first set and then a double break of serve saw her race 5-1 ahead in the second.

De Brito rallied briefly but could not prevent the British star completing victory.

Youngsters Heather Watson and Laura Robson then completed a 3-0 win in the doubles rubber.

Despite falling a break behind in the opening set, 19-year-old Watson and 18-year-old Robson recovered to take the rubber convincingly, 7-5 6-0.

GB are in Group C in Euro/Africa Zone I and will also face the Netherlands and hosts Israel this week.

If they top the group they will compete in Saturday's play-offs, the winners of which will earn a shot at promotion to World Group II in April.

Murray said: "Today was fantastic. We had two convincing wins in the singles, straight sets wins for Anne first of all and then for Bally, and then the younger girls who had a little bit of a sticky start in the doubles came through very strongly so we didn't drop a set and it was relatively straightforward."

"For me it was the perfect debut, but it's only the first match. We've got a tough one tomorrow against the Netherlands but we've prepared well and we'll be ready."
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #237 on: February 02, 2012, 08:35 AM »

Yes, women much better prospect than men....
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #238 on: February 02, 2012, 07:40 PM »

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/12/02/02/manual_161246.html&BID=553

Anne Keothavong was upset by Bibiane Schoofs as Great Britain's Fed Cup hopes took a dent on Thursday.

The British number two was beaten 6-3 6-7 6-3 by a player ranked 66 places below her.

Keothavong was broken in the sixth game which proved enough for her to lose the first set, but she fought back from an early break deficit in the second to claim it on a tie-break and square the match.

However, Schoofs quickly opened a 2-0 lead in the decider and never relinquished her advantage in Eilat.

Britain now need Elena Baltacha to beat Dutch number one Michaella Krajicek in the second singles to level the tie.

Judy Murray's side beat Portugal in their opening Group C match on Wednesday, while the Dutch lost to Israel.

Defeat to the Netherlands would leave GB's hopes of progressing to the weekend's play-offs hanging in the balance
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #239 on: February 02, 2012, 07:47 PM »

Elena B won her match in straight sets and the doubles pair of Heather and Laura have won the first set and broken in the second set to be 2-0 up.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 23 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »