Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  The current state of British tennis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 23 Go Down Reply
Author

The current state of British tennis

(Read 10006 times)
Philip
Seed

The current state of British tennis « on: March 07, 2010, 06:02 PM »

What I just discover is that if we lose against Turkey in July then we will drop to the lowest division possible in Tennis.  Incredible.  All the past GB GS winners will turn in their graves.

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/10/03/07/TENNIS_Davis_Cup_Lead.html

Britain must now beat Turkey, who lost to Ireland this weekend, in a relegation play-off in July to avoid dropping to Europe/Africa Zone Group III - the lowest tier of the competition.
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

"ELIZABETH GWEN 27.4.70" in Chit-Chat.

The current state of British tennis « Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:53 AM »

The world is not only laughing at us over the Davis Cup but over Grand Slams, as well.

Did you not notice how Federer had the crowd in hysterics when he won the Australian Open when he said that he felt sorry for Andy for the pressure he is under from his fans when he plays in a Grand Slam because “No British player has ever won a Grand Slam for 150,000 YEARS?

So why didn’t Andy play for us in the Davis Cup? You’re supposed to select the BEST team not “Give players a chance”, and he should realize that his responsibility is to British FANS not the LTA or anybody else. HE plays for US! And if he had played for US in the Davis Cup, we would have WON.

The same goes for Switzerland as well of course, so that is weird. Federer let them lose too. I wonder what he thinks of that?
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

The current state of British tennis « Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:14 PM »

The world is not only laughing at us over the Davis Cup but over Grand Slams, as well.

Did you not notice how Federer had the crowd in hysterics when he won the Australian Open when he said that he felt sorry for Andy for the pressure he is under from his fans when he plays in a Grand Slam because “No British player has ever won a Grand Slam for 150,000 YEARS?

So why didn’t Andy play for us in the Davis Cup? You’re supposed to select the BEST team not “Give players a chance”, and he should realize that his responsibility is to British FANS not the LTA or anybody else. HE plays for US! And if he had played for US in the Davis Cup, we would have WON.

The same goes for Switzerland as well of course, so that is weird. Federer let them lose too. I wonder what he thinks of that?

Andy is a world class player.

We should have had enough to beat Lithuania - did you hear what Overend was saying? We have a national budget of 25 million pounds per annum, Lithuania have £90,000. Evans and Ward use world class facilities at Roehampton, they should have been good enough.

What I love about Andy Murray is his single mindedness - his ambition is to win grand slams, not to play nobodies in aircraft hangars.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

The current state of British tennis « Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 12:20 PM »

You're having a giraffe there with your third paragraph, utter nonsense.
Tennis players play for themselves, we all get satisfaction from seeing our favourites win vicariously.
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

The current state of British tennis « Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 04:14 PM »

BBC Sport - Tennis - John Lloyd considers future as Davis Cup captain

I also think Roger Draper should take a good look at his own position here.  The blame for this sorry mess cannot be piled entirely on Lloyd's head.
Frankly Draper's position should be on the line as well as Lloyds.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

The current state of British tennis « Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 05:05 PM »

A rather brief statement from Roger Draper btw:
I share the deep disappointment and frustration at this result. Five defeats in a row is unacceptable.

So I have asked the LTA Player Director, Steven Martens, to review last week's performance and result, and report back to me and the LTA Main Board as soon as possible.

That review needs to be swift and decisive as it is clear some real improvements need to be made.

This review should have been done long before matters came to this head, instead of which the LTA chose to adopt the ostrich position.  The Henman/Rusedski era probably lulled them into a false sense of security, and Murray's emergence was timely, but Andy missed ties due to injury/illness and when he did play the gap between himself and the other players was glaringly obvious.

There should be a clear out of the whole LTA board.  What the hell are they doing with their £25m every year?  Our women players are doing well, but we should have scouts all over the country looking for fresh talent of both sexes.        
[ Last edit by Aileen March 08, 2010, 05:51 PM ] IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

The current state of British tennis « Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 08:42 PM »

BBC Sport - Tennis - Draper should resign over Davis Cup defeat - David Lloyd

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12611_5892799,00.html

A rather brief statement from Roger Draper btw:
I share the deep disappointment and frustration at this result. Five defeats in a row is unacceptable.

So I have asked the LTA Player Director, Steven Martens, to review last week's performance and result, and report back to me and the LTA Main Board as soon as possible.

That review needs to be swift and decisive as it is clear some real improvements need to be made.

BBC Sport - Tennis - Davis Cup 'like a bad dream' for LTA chief Roger Draper
[ Last edit by Allan March 08, 2010, 08:54 PM ] IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

The current state of British tennis « Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 08:44 PM »

This review should have been done long before matters came to this head, instead of which the LTA chose to adopt the ostrich position.  The Henman/Rusedski era probably lulled them into a false sense of security, and Murray's emergence was timely, but Andy missed ties due to injury/illness and when he did play the gap between himself and the other players was glaringly obvious.

There should be a clear out of the whole LTA board.  What the hell are they doing with their £25m every year?  Our women players are doing well, but we should have scouts all over the country looking for fresh talent of both sexes.       

Do you have any concept of how long it takes talent to develop to a level the media appreciate?

Draper was put in charge of the mess just after Henman/Rusedski era ended in 2006, a year after he started his job the national Tennis centre in Roehampton opened. Even if his ideas and the building makes a significant difference we aren't going to see the true affect for a number of years, if the base level of talent isn't there you aren't going to magic results out of no where.

We've had enough talented U16 players who fail to make it to the top that we don't trust any of the early signs there maybe on the mens side, so we'll just have to wait a couple of years before judging him.

If Lloyd actually does his job as well as anybody could realistically expect our loss against Lithuania is even more embarassing, while I don't doubt we could quite easily be that bad I don't see what we have to lose by trying someone else.
IP Logged
pggtips
Futures Level

The current state of British tennis « Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 10:08 PM »

The usual excuses after a Davis Cup defeat trotted out after another dismal loss to team with three ranked male players and a main tennis centre with a ceiling that had "mind you head" signs and a capacity crowd of about 250.

It was funny to recall the girl who worked for "Ministry of Sound" - Miskin?? and how she was going to shake up British Tennis, within a week she was referring to "5 year plans" and "Rome wasn't built in a day" and also more staggeringly I remembered that the "Tennis For Free" charity had its strengths and that we (the LTA) had different strengths.

Or that Tennis For Free was concerned with getting people to play Tennis For Free and the LTA isn't.

And today we had the same, Roger Draper referring to "long-term plans". As a person who attends Futures tournaments, not once have I seen Roger Draper or Paul Annacone, I did see Ann Jones and Judy Murray, more than once I must add so there are some decent coaches who take the time to look at our young players.

There is a simple solution to solving the problems at British Tennis, deny the clubs (and the BBC) their centre court and court 1 allocation to Wimbledon and give all of the tickets to those who camp outside in their tents.

Incentivise that only clubs who bring through top 100 ranked in the world junior players can keep their centre court allocation, reviewed every 10 years. The player must have played at the club for at least three years.
[ Last edit by pggtips March 08, 2010, 10:21 PM ] IP Logged
pggtips
Futures Level

The current state of British tennis « Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 10:15 PM »

As a supplementary to that, an American coach was asked to solve the problem of a lack of players playing the game in the UK, he said "that's easy, employ 20,000 coaches, they'll get you 1,000,000 players".

Parkinson's law of solving the problems in British Tennis is that Tennis Players expand to occupy the total number of Tennis coaches.

I suppose one question to ask, "Who has ever seen an advertisement in the job centre for a Tennis coach?"
IP Logged
pggtips
Futures Level

The current state of British tennis « Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 10:30 PM »

That said, sacking Draper only substitutes one numpty for another. No real point in changing heads when the real problem is the 'Department of Tennis Affairs' (sorry the Lawn Tennis Association).
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

The current state of British tennis « Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 03:05 PM »

So what did the LTA do right for Andy that they did wrong for everybody else?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

The current state of British tennis « Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 03:51 PM »

So what did the LTA do right for Andy that they did wrong for everybody else?
The LTA did bugger all for Andy - he had to go to a tennis academy in Spain for two years because the necessary facilities weren't available in the UK.  Unfortunately our other players don't seem to be interested in going down the same road, athough Baker and Ward have gone to very short training camp sessions in the US, where full training costs are prohibitive for most (about £20,000 a year) and have to be privately funded.  The academy in Spain had pretty basic facilities and Andy really had to "rough it" - something he was prepared to do because he not only knew he had the talent but he had a strong desire to become a successful player.   

Anyway George the Lithuania thread now seems to be closed.  It was only because your post showed up in my emails (because it came after my last one) that I've responded to it.   
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

The current state of British tennis « Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 04:00 PM »

So that's pretty depressing then!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

The current state of British tennis « Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 04:33 PM »

Yes, very - and it's this lack of British motivation which really bugs Murray.

The LTA do now have a tennis centre in Roehampton, London, but it's early days yet to see how successful it's going to be.  Also Judy Murray has now been given the go-ahead to open a Scottish centre in Stirling, where she's aiming to nurture talent at grass-roots level and get the message across that tennis is not an elitist sport, an image which is unfortunately all too prevalent in the UK, and maybe that's part of the main problem.

IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 23 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »