Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  The current state of British tennis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 23 Go Down Reply
Author

The current state of British tennis

(Read 10962 times)
pggtips
Futures Level

The current state of British tennis « Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 11:09 PM »

Great post on the subject by Neil Harman, easily the best Tennis journalist in the country. Great comments too, mostly.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article7055699.ece

Not that his advice will be heeded, most unfortunate. As the LTA would say, he has his strengths and we have ours.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

The current state of British tennis « Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 12:37 AM »

Great post on the subject by Neil Harman, easily the best Tennis journalist in the country. Great comments too, mostly.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article7055699.ece

Not that his advice will be heeded, most unfortunate. As the LTA would say, he has his strengths and we have ours.
Thank you pggtips - a brilliant article.  Harman and The Times have considerably more strengths than the LTA (do they actually have any?).  Yes the Roehampton centre was an extremely costly venture, which could well end up as a white elephant.  Having tennis centralised like this was bound to be disastrous and only adds to its elitist image.  The idea that there should be a good sprinkling of cheaper, smaller centres all over the country makes the only sense.  Plush surroundings don't automatically produce good players.  Lithuania's Grigelis is a classic example of that.  And why don't the LTA listen to people like Judy Murray whose experience is invaluable?  As for coaches, though, I couldn't care less what their nationality is so long as they are experienced and 100% committed to the job.

I noticed this article, also by Neil Harman, in the same section - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article7053075.ece  Referring to my earlier post on the subject, why indeed should Murray be pressurised into playing against Turkey just to save the LTA's face?
[ Last edit by Aileen March 11, 2010, 12:47 AM ] IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

The current state of British tennis « Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 05:51 AM »

little celebrity status
I would see that as a bonus.  Federer can walk the streets of Paris without being hassled whereas someone like Beckham gets accosted wherever he goes.  I know who I'd rather be!
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

"ELIZABETH GWEN 27.4.70" in Chit-Chat.

The current state of British tennis « Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 10:02 AM »

why indeed should Murray be pressurised into playing against Turkey just to save the LTA's face?

I guess it wouldn’t save the LTA’s face if he won for US! It would rub their noses in it that they CAN’T, wouldn’t it?

How does Murray think tennis should be organised?

Are you sure that there is anything the LTA CAN do, if so few kids want to play tennis?

From what others have said above, there’s no hope for Britain is there? Tennis is too much like hard work, with very little reward.

Why did Henman and Rusedski retire? They are still in our top three aren’t they?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

The current state of British tennis « Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 12:46 PM »

THIS by Petch is the best article you'll read on British tennis anywhere this year:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/daviscup/7414960/Mark-Petchey-Britains-Davis-Cup-woes-summed-up-Jamie-Bakers-stance.html

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

The current state of British tennis « Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 02:46 PM »

Look at this article, too. Nobody talks more sense than Petch. The LTA will have him bumped off, one quick shot to the back of the head as he leaves the TV centre in the dark one night. The only voice of sanity.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/daviscup/7406861/Roger-Draper-must-pay-for-Davis-Cup-tennis-failure-says-Mark-Petchey.html

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

The current state of British tennis « Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 03:25 PM »

(a) How does Murray think tennis should be organised?

(b) Why did Henman and Rusedski retire? They are still in our top three aren’t they?

(a) It would be very interesting to know Murray's views, but unfortunately he's not in a position to comment.  What I do know is that he has said in the past that the British are, quite frankly, lazy.  As a country we're too soft.  That's why players who come from poorer countries, particularly Eastern Europe, do better because as a nation they've had to struggle, so it comes naturally to them.  Look at young Grigelis - a perfect example - he played at a standard way above what his lowly ranking suggested.

(b) Henman and Rusedski are both well into their 30s.  Even if it were possible for them to play, Henman in particular has said that the game has changed so much even since his era that it wouldn't stand up against today's players. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

The current state of British tennis « Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 03:49 PM »

Look at this article, too. Nobody talks more sense than Petch. The LTA will have him bumped off, one quick shot to the back of the head as he leaves the TV centre in the dark one night. The only voice of sanity.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/daviscup/7406861/Roger-Draper-must-pay-for-Davis-Cup-tennis-failure-says-Mark-Petchey.html

Thanks for these Grabcopy.  Excellent.  The harsh brutal truth.  Petch v. Draper - pistols at dawn perhaps, with Draper firing blanks?
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

The current state of British tennis « Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 04:42 PM »

THIS by Petch is the best article you'll read on British tennis anywhere this year:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/daviscup/7414960/Mark-Petchey-Britains-Davis-Cup-woes-summed-up-Jamie-Bakers-stance.html

Yeah so why isn't he running British tennis? Is there nothing we can do to get him there?

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 05:59 PM »

Glad to see a new thread has been opened for this topic. Smile   
IP Logged
pggtips
Futures Level

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 06:14 PM »

The only negative in the article is that Petchey behaved Baker-like (when Greg Rusedski arrived over here and took the limelight away from Petchey & Bates who've both since done very well from UK Tennis) and he wasn't prepared to admit that.

However that's no criticism of the remainder of the content which is by and large, spot on.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #41 on: March 12, 2010, 01:10 AM »

The article below is dated 8 July 2008 but it's as relevant now as it was then.  I live close to the municipal courts in Edinburgh's Meadows, in the south side of the city, but I only see youngsters using them around Wimbledon time and, despite claims to the contrary in the article, I have yet to see any visible coaching taking place.  All the Council's focus is on the decidedly elitist tennis centre at Craiglockhart, which is great if you've got the money.  Their failure to rebuild the fire-destroyed public indoor courts did nothing to help foster any enthusiasm either, as, our weather being what it is, they were popular and had the advantage of being available all year round.  Some, albeit limited, coaching facilities were also available.

I'd suggest that the LTA have talent spotters visit municipal courts in towns and major cities around the UK, and give illustrated talks in schools, during the months of June and July, when interest in tennis is at its peak and when there might be a hope of finding and encouraging potential.  The only problem then, of course, is - where do the kids go from there?  This is where the provision of local, low-cost centres comes in, with Council grants possbly available for the most impoverished.    

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/andrewmurray/Protesters-make-a-racquet-over.4265108.jp

Incidentally the Meadowbank Sports Stadium was built for the 1970 Commonwealth Games yet, after less than 40 years, it's "not fit for purpose". Pathetic.        
[ Last edit by Aileen March 12, 2010, 01:35 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #42 on: March 12, 2010, 09:53 AM »

How does Murray think tennis should be organised?

Andy Murray wants input in Davis Cup captaincy decision

Andy Murray believes the players should be involved in deciding who leads Britain's Davis Cup side should current captain John Lloyd be asked to leave

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8563613.stm
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #43 on: March 12, 2010, 10:14 AM »

This is all totally weird. In every other sport the best player is made the captain of the team so why not in tennis?

And Andy IS British isn’t he? If he’s become so good at tennis what’s stopping other British players?

Shouldn’t they just follow his example and go through the same regime he went through?

What’s the problem?

And shouldn’t our best player be put in charge of British tennis? He’s the face of British tennis. He’s the person kids will listen to and want to follow.

We seem to have put the cart before the horse in British Tennis.

And Junior school is where tennis needs to start and Senior school is where it needs to continue.

How to get it started?

SIMPLE!

Provide FREE facilities and BIG prizes and LOTS of Razzmatazz for winning local competitions.

The LTA can afford it can’t they?

Once tennis becomes popular Sponsors and TV will move in, and the BBC might even start to cover British Tennis on TV.

Then I won’t have to subscribe to SKY Sport!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #44 on: March 12, 2010, 10:18 AM »

And Andy IS British isn’t he? If he’s become so good at tennis what’s stopping other British players?

Shouldn’t they just follow his example and go through the same regime he went through?

That's what Timmy said apparently.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 23 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »