Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  British Tennis  >  The current state of British tennis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 23 Go Down Reply
Author

The current state of British tennis

(Read 8924 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #45 on: March 12, 2010, 10:21 AM »

Gosh, everyone has a say in this:-

Brian Moore: shambles in British tennis is too big for Tim Henman to solve

If Tim Henman takes up the post which will be vacant, sooner or later, of captain to the Great Britain Davis Cup tennis team not only does he need his head examining, so do the people that believe he should be offered the role.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/daviscup/7415412/Brian-Moore-shambles-in-British-tennis-is-too-big-for-Tim-Henman-to-solve.html
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

"GIRL OF MY DREAMS" in Chit-Chat.

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #46 on: March 12, 2010, 11:11 AM »

Murray seems to be the perfect long-awaited example that the LTA doesn’t know what it’s doing, but he does.

So when is he going to be put in charge?

When he becomes No 1?  They’ll have to listen to him then won’t they?

I guess they’re dreading that.

The thing is that he seems to have the guts to challenge them now, like Petchey, so keep it up guys! You’re are only salvation.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #47 on: March 12, 2010, 11:25 AM »

And Draper must go. Particularly as he snogged my wife.
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #48 on: March 12, 2010, 11:44 AM »

And Draper must go. Particularly as he snogged my wife.

Hope she whacked him.

Draper’s not the only one who should go though is he?

Another thought has occurred to me.

Why don’t other young players follow Murray’s example and do what he did?

They must realize that his regime brings more success that the LTA’s mustn’t they?

What’s wrong with them?

His example is there for them to see isn’t it?

What’s stopping them?

Perhaps Judy could adopt one of them.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #49 on: March 12, 2010, 12:29 PM »

What's the exact relationship between village/town tennis clubs and the LTA? Do the LTA partly fund them or do they run themselves? It seems to me that the base problem in Britain is the fact that courts in your local village or town are too hard/too expensive to book. For kids wanting to play some sport, something that is free and easy (i.e. a small game of football) will always win. The clubs seem far too interested in maintaining their expensive fees rather than helping to create a foundation among youngsters.
Should the LTA be stepping in on this (finally) and demanding that tennis becomes more accessible at the local level?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010, 04:14 PM »

Andy Murray wants input in Davis Cup captaincy decision

Brian Moore: shambles in British tennis is too big for Tim Henman to solve
Glad Andy has now commented on this.  I think the players should have some input here for all the reasons he suggests.  And it's true what he says about the continuity of coaching.  We hear all too often about promising youngsters, then they just vanish.

Also the more high profile sporting personalities who can make their opinions known the better.  Henman isn't interested in tennis any more.  He apparently spends most of his time on the golf course these days.
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #51 on: March 12, 2010, 04:42 PM »

Glad Andy has now commented on this.  I think the players should have some input here for all the reasons he suggests.  And it's true what he says about the continuity of coaching.  We hear all too often about promising youngsters, then they just vanish.

Also the more high profile sporting personalities who can make their opinions known the better.  Henman isn't interested in tennis any more.  He apparently spends most of his time on the golf course these days.

I’ve heard Henman say that he’s glad to be out of tennis, which must be true or he’d still be competing. He admitted that he prefers golf now.

BBC Sport - Tennis - Andy Murray wants input in Davis Cup captaincy decision
Murray is being a bit circumspect here. “Get all the players together to discuss with the LTA who the captain should be.”

I’d like to be a fly on the wall if THAT discussion ever took place.

THAT could get a bit heated, but I can’t see it happening.

The LTA  wouldn’t like the precedent.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #52 on: March 12, 2010, 11:22 PM »

And now it's Ken Skupski's turn - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8564891.stm

I think the big point he makes is that John Lloyd is only the captain and not the coach.  Does our potential DC squad actually have a coach?  No - it's left to Lloyd to muddle along come DC time, and what he's telling the players to do could well be contrary to what their personal coaches are telling them.  Other countries have coaches, and Poland has a British coach (he didn't turn up with the Polish players in Liverpool because his presence was deemed to be too embarrassing!).  If Britain had a regular DC coach he could work in conjunction with players' personal coaches, and that way we might just get somewhere.  
[ Last edit by Aileen March 13, 2010, 12:30 AM ] IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #53 on: March 12, 2010, 11:29 PM »

Does our potential DC squad actually have a coach?  No - it's left to Lloyd to muddle along come DC time, and what he's telling the players to do could well be contrary to what their personal coaches are telling them.  Other countries have coaches, and Poland has a British coach (he didn't turn up with the Polish players in Liverpool because his presence was deemed to be too embarrassing!).  If Britain had a regular DC coach he could work in conjection with players' personal coaches, and that way we might just get somewhere. 
We actually have Paul Annacone (who used to coach Sampras and then Henman) and also Steven Mertens.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #54 on: March 12, 2010, 11:42 PM »

We actually have Paul Annacone (who used to coach Sampras and then Henman) and also Steven Mertens.
I stand corrected - but how far does Annacone and Mertens' coaching go?  Yes, I knew that Annacone had coached Sampras and Henman, which makes it all the more surprising that he isn't able to do something to improve standards.  That said, however, Brad Gilbert was handed the task of coaching Boggo, with little or no results.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #55 on: March 12, 2010, 11:56 PM »

I actually have no idea how for the coaching goes... Think
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #56 on: March 13, 2010, 12:26 AM »

I actually have no idea how for the coaching goes...
A search of the LTA website isn't any help here I'm afraid.

However, according to this article by Neil Harman, hot off the press, it seems that our politicians are now joining in this debate.  Don't know if this is a good thing or not, but if it gets to this level something positive just might come of it, although I'm not holding my breath.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article7060402.ece 
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #57 on: March 13, 2010, 08:58 AM »

First top 10 win on the WTA side for 12 years, by a mediocre player who was going no where when the current LTA director turned up.

Petchey whines on and on about focusing on overhauling youth development, then comes out with this gem :

In 2008, Draper was given a five-year extension, taking him through to 2013. "That was a shocking bit of business by the LTA. What had he achieved in his first couple of years to deserve five more years? It would be expensive to sack Draper and pay him off, but that would still be better than for him to carry on in the job.

Or to paraphrase, 'short term results are all that really matters'.

It's easy to comment on what he should do, it's a damn sight harder to implent what you should do and then keep your job because you can demonstrate to the baying press that while we are losing to Lithuania that everything is fine in the long run.
IP Logged
George183
Challenger Level

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #58 on: March 13, 2010, 12:05 PM »

A search of the LTA website isn't any help here I'm afraid.

However, according to this article by Neil Harman, hot off the press, it seems that our politicians are now joining in this debate.  Don't know if this is a good thing or not, but if it gets to this level something positive just might come of it, although I'm not holding my breath.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article7060402.ece  

Yeah I wonder how they are going to react to GB being the laughing stock of the world. It makes the razzmatazz of Wimbledon an embarrassment.

It was bad enough having the World No. 1 poking fun at Andy infront of a crowd of hostile Aussies, saying that no Brit has won a Grand Slam for a 150,000 years, but to lose against a bunch of kids in Lithuania!!

It’s going to be charming when we play our next Davis Cup match at home at Wimbledon.

The BBC will probably refuse to cover it, because it will star a bunch of nobodies, who nobody wants to watch, unless Andy plays.

Hope Andy wipes the grin off Federer’s face at Indian Wells. That will make him look REALLY stupid.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: The current state of British tennis « Reply #59 on: March 17, 2010, 07:10 PM »

John Lloyd has resigned.

And Steven Martens DC review uncover the obvious:
Martens said: “I would also like to thank John. My initial findings from the review recognise that he is not to blame for our current lack of depth in the men's game and so I am widening my review to look across men’s tennis.

Martens will present his further findings to the LTA Main Board later this month. He will now begin the search for a new Captain and Coach, to be in place before Great Britain face Turkey in a Europe/Africa Zone Group II relegation decider at Eastbourne on 9-11 July.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 23 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »